1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco shopping--need advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billygoat, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mar 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    I'm looking to buy a Tacoma 4x4, preferably second generation, and want to know two things: what (potential problems) to look for and what prices to look for. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been searching Craigslist locally and in most of Northern California, and the prices of Tacomas are definitely high...typically a few grand higher than KBB, which leads me to wonder, just how cheap can I get a 2nd gen Tacoma with 4wd that doesn't have a salvage title or 250k miles? I'm seeing even 2002 Tacomas with 200k+ miles for $12k+, does this sound right? Would I be better off looking at 4runners? I saw on Toyota's website that the Tacoma has a higher tow rating, but I don't know if this is true for older models (I have a Jeep that is happier on a trailer than being driven on the freeway)...so a high tow rating it nice, but I can forego on the towing if it's not feasible. I currently have a Nissan pickup 4x4 with 200k that runs great (very well maintained), and I honestly can't see replacing it with another truck with the same mileage that costs twice as much even if it is a Toyota.

2. Mar 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    This has been covered a million times man. You obviously own a computer and can google the info. Prices for these trucks are insanely high compared to others in its class because they last forever and are made well. 4runners hold their value just like the Tacoma. Every question you posted could easily be answered by looking searching and comparing.

3. Mar 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    If the price of used is turning you off because they have miles on them, why not consider a new one?

4. Mar 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Honestly I was hoping to see if what I had read from searching is correct...a lot of people suggest looking at the KBB to compare values, but the KBB values do not even come close to what I am seeing on Craigslist...wondered if it's just a local thing or nationwide. Also I've read about problems that I think may have been blown out of proportion (I would not expect a truck of this price and known for reliability to have any major problems). Maybe SnowroxKT is onto something, and I should just save my pennies and buy new in a few years...I've never owned a new-new truck.

5. Mar 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    rdd11

rdd11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Double Cab long box black
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    Some people turn into nazis on the Internet it's funny don't mind him.

Anyways for your questions yes tacomas are expensive they retain their value and for good reason. They outlast everything and stay tight. Mine has 120 miles and is still running great I paid 24,000 Canadian for a 2008 with 90,000 miles. Drives like a brand new one. Haven't had an issue aside from an 02 sensor and wheel bearing.

I would recommend buying one because 10 years from now that tacoma will have a much better resale value then the Nissan despite kilometers.

You can find them for decent prices I have seen a few. You will pay more but it is a superior product

6. Mar 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    The whole reason I bought a Taco was because I wanted to not have a payment for many years. I paid mine off in 3 1/2 years and will enjoy my first month with no payment this month.

I bought a used 06 in late 2008 and it is still like new. I just turned over 100K miles and you could never tell. The KBB on my truck is still worth $15.7K. That makes it more of an investment than an expense.

I like to look at all the F-150 and Silverado owners and think to myself that my truck will be on the road 5 years after most of those are in the junkyard. Cant beat the value. Pay an extra $1K now for what you want and if you have the ability to keep from buying something new every few years, it will last a long time. I am looking for 250K miles on mine.

7. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    i got 148k on mine. ppl ask what year and i tell 05 they say "i thought it was like a 2010" makes me grin everytime.:D

8. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    In the Northwest, Washington, KBB prices are way lower than actual sell price at a dealer. when my car got totaled I didn't want to buy a brand new truck right away and was disappointed when every Tacoma I looked at, used, was just 2-4k under what I could get one new at. They regularly were stickered at 29k-33k whereas the new TRD OR's were 32k-36k.

On the last day before they took my rental I found my truck about 50 miles away at a dealer, they had just dropped the price to 23,500. I called them and verified a few things and bought it that night pretty much over the phone pending a drive and inspection.

Be patient and don't settle, keep looking and be willing to drive to get it. A buddy of mine drove 200+ miles for his.

9. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    billygoat,

If your Nissan is not costing you excessively in repair costs yet, it would be wise to save for a new Toyota at a later date. When all is said and done, it is smart to look at a truck as a tool, rather than a toy. As in any tool, buy the best you can afford and take care of it.

10. Mar 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    You have a ton of options. Do you need double cab or king cab? If so then that jumps the price up of course. If you need more space but have $12-$14k, get a Ford F250 with the 7.3L in king cab or crew with a manual trans or remanufactured auto. Those are done depreciating and you can run them up to 400,000 miles if you get one that's had good service and had many parts replaced and treat it right. Toyota doesn't really mean reliability like it did in the 1980's when things were simple, it just means more reliable than the competition.

11. Mar 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)

Sounds Good^^^

I paid close to 11k for my 2nd gen (wholesale repo). but, i have done some work on it myself (with a great deal of help)

12. Mar 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Thanks for all the replies! I am wanting an access cab preferably...back seats are a must and the 73" bed is nice because I can throw on a shell and sleep back there. An f250 7.3l would definitely be good for towing...just a bit big for a daily driver. The Nissan is (hopefully) just the past the expensive fixes part of its life...I installed new leafs, torsion bars, shocks, ball joints, and tie rod ends myself in the past 20k miles. I would like to sell it within the next year or two, but I can hold out for a while longer until a good deal on a Tacoma pops up...maybe I'll get lucky and find one that has some superficial problems like a dented body panel that I can fix myself.

13. Mar 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    Duby

Duby Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    11 Crew Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Be patient and try AutoTrader.com I was being a tight a$@ wanting to save from buying new and finally found a 2011 with 30,000 miles without a scratch for a great price. Be patient you will find it.

14. Mar 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Well if you do end up spending more than you really want to, or financing some, at least you can rely on the Tacoma not depreciating much while you have it - they hold their value well. I would also keep checking Craigslist in Sacramento, things can be cheaper there I noticed.

15. Mar 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    As luck would have it I found an '05 access cab Tacoma with TRD-Offroad Package and 122k miles, the asking price is 14k, and the guy already offered to go to 13,500. The truck is in need of a new A/C compressor...supposedly it seized, and I can get a Delphi aftermarket for $387 on rockauto. It had the 6-speed manual tranny and clutch replaced under warranty at 60k miles (I was told it was due to a manufacturer defect with 5th gear) and had the cats replaced at 80k. I don't mind installing a new a/c compressor and necessary components, I'm just wondering about the transmission and the cats--does it seem strange that the cats would fail at 80k? Also has anybody heard of any defects in the 6 speed manual? Does this truck sound alright or does something seem fishy?

Products Discussed in

To Top