1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacofort's 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO Build with AT Habitat

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by tacofort, Jul 20, 2017.

1. May 7, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    GRTaco

GRTaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD Offroad
    tacofort[OP] likes this.
  2. May 7, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    tacofort

tacofort [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO, Automatic, Cement
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    Those are stock photos of one of the early prototypes. There have been a bunch of little subtle changes since then. Adventure Trailers and team have been great to work with. Where are you located?

3. May 7, 2018 at 5:12 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    New toys on the way for next month. Combo slide, stove and awning.
    Stoked. :thumbsup:
    D47448F4-BA1E-496E-8DA4-94CDEA8C072C.jpg

mjohn617, nismoz33 and H3llRid3r like this.
  4. May 7, 2018 at 5:20 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Hit some gnarly rocks at SMORALLY when I was off-roading last. Found some trail damage. Nothing big thanks to armor, but scratched wheel and the plate on the passenger slider got bent upward a touch. Armor is so critical. I will do it again. 48F737E2-F3EA-4069-86E8-65418B8CE8C2.jpg313E3C34-755D-427E-8FB2-591EB06B8D75.jpg

beertimecontinuum likes this.
  5. May 7, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    H3llRid3r

H3llRid3r Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLcUT
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Cement TRD OR
    Not much stock left.
    That’s a nasty scratch/gouge.

tacofort[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. May 8, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    GRTaco

GRTaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Grand Rapids Michigan. I moved here a few years ago and will soon be looking for the place where the Tacos congregate. I'm glad to hear this hab has survived. I love the idea for all the reasons you stated. Plus my wife and I can trailer motorcycles behind it and stop anywhere to rest.

7. May 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM
    Rogue Overland

Rogue Overland Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Good looking rig! We have had the habitat on our taco for about a year now, super easy to use and the truck still wheels well! You can check it out on our YouTube videos, here is the most recent:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jd5A9rx8gzg

tacofort[OP] likes this.
  8. May 9, 2018 at 5:30 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Slowly building it up. What options or mods have you done to your habitat? What suspension are you running?

9. May 14, 2018 at 11:49 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.5 extended travel with Remote reservoirs, DSC Adjusters and 700# springs installed. SPC Light Racing UCAs installed as well. I'll get more pics, took none during the install for some reason, but snagged a couple this morning. Just glad it's done. Rides really well, still need to do something with the sway bar interference, and getting an alignment tonight. Glad that nose isn't diving down anymore.

IMG_2376.jpg IMG_2376.jpg IMG_2378.jpg IMG_2379.jpg

10. May 27, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    I am curious to see how you like the Nemo Awning, I purchased the Manta 270 for the Habitat. I don't think I will have time to get it installed until this fall though, I have some parts I need to machine first. Getting ready to move to Florida.

11. May 28, 2018 at 12:27 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO suspension for sale. Local pickup only. PM for price Cincinnati OH area/Northern Kentucky
    20000 miles on rears 25000 on front. Mostly highway driving. a few minor scratches on the rears, but in great condition otherwise.

046898C2-0D97-4B13-A6FD-AB4D59C896F2.jpg 6A0EE020-8C6A-44A9-BB23-1C5D7B8A7C56.jpg

H3llRid3r likes this.
  12. May 29, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Had a busy day Saturday. Smoked 4 pork butts and made the mounts for the solar panel and test fit the panel. Still needs to be wired, but that involves silicone and drilling holes in the lid of the habitat, which is best done with 2 people in dry weather. Happy with how the panel turned out. I Could mount a second one if needed, but we are going to see if 1 panel will be sufficient. I will likely paint the aluminum black , but this worked for now while it was being test fit. The L track and fittings are super easy to work with and install.

IMG_2473.jpg IMG_2475.jpg

I also finished the wiring for the dual battery system and tested the ML-ACR with all of my stuff. I have relocated the power for my added fuse block to come from the auxiliary battery. Went really well and happy with the installation.

IMG_2471.jpg

This should have me ready for installation of the fridge, wiring for the solar panel, mounting of the charge controller, and some power monitoring things I have had planned. All of this is to happen this upcoming weekend. Should be a good one.

13. May 29, 2018 at 12:09 PM
    sawbladeduller

sawbladeduller semi-realist

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    ..what is your plan for connecting solar panel into battery system? i'm thinking c-tek ,but not certain compatibility with MLACR

14. May 29, 2018 at 12:22 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Just a regular MPPT charge controller. I ordered this. My plan is pretty straight forward. Mount the Charge controller on the side wall of the habitat using rivet nuts. Run power through the lid using this for the penetration and this to seal it .
    Down the road, I will have a portable solar panel to setup at a multi day camp. For now, this is meant to charge the truck and protect my batteries when I don't drive it from parasitic losses. Also, like the idea of running a fridge with drinks in the back. I will use 10 AWG tinned marine wire for the panels to controller and controller to the primary battery. The cool thing about solar, your battery doesn't care where it is getting juice from. Also, the ML-ACR doesn't care either. It senses a voltage differential that the voltage is increasing on the primary side and will automatically latch and begin charging both batteries. And the best way to utilize solar is with a MPPT controller. (Redarc makes a product that uses a similar algorithm for optimizing charge, but then would only provide for 1 battery.) The thought is I will be able to charge both batteries (though not quickly with only 100 Watts). I'll do some testing and see what happens.

15. May 29, 2018 at 12:27 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    sawbladeduller likes this.
  16. May 29, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    sawbladeduller

sawbladeduller semi-realist

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    I like the ML-ACR, the latching 'noise' is pretty familiar now, every start-up. I'm just wanting to get a portable solar unit set-up, and have the CteK product in mind. I've been using a refrigerator and feel pretty confident with dual battery/ML-ACR, as long as I'm running the truck every day, but want the portable flexi panel as trickle charging if I stay one place a couple days. From what you say above then, I'll just connect the MPPT unit direct to primary battery. currently have a Group31 as accessory unit, and a Group35 as starter, not ideal but working.

17. May 29, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a very similar setup to mine. As much as I would like the group 31 for my house battery, as the primary, it is good for what the winch may require, so it seems reasonable to me. Good luck with your system and feel free to ask any questions or provide any tips you may come up with. :cheers:

18. May 29, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    I have the CTEK system, no solar wired in yet. I love the system, it is literally set it/forget it. MLACR would work with the system, you really shouldn't need it unless you were using it to bypass the non vital output circuit. Hit me up with a PM on your plan, I spent over a year designing my electrical system, I weighed so many options and went through so many circles, kept going back to one key point....Simplicity.

19. May 30, 2018 at 10:36 AM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin

Is your secondary battery system completely isolated from the stock electrical system?

20. May 30, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Stock electrical system? I have an ML-acr (active charging relay) that cuts out around 12.7 volts and isolates the 2 batteries and recombines after 2 mins at 13V or above. Works great. Standard alternator for now.

sawbladeduller likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top