1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacofort's 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO Build with AT Habitat

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by tacofort, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Jul 3, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    tacofort

tacofort [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO, Automatic, Cement
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    So following the RRG meet, I was able to get in my Comboslide and do some work on the truck.
    The next two pics are the Comboslide closed and open. Honestly, this thing is a game changer. just the ability to slide the fridge and freezer out saves time climbing into the back of the truck every time to get things out or put them away. I'm a fan.
    IMG_2795.jpg IMG_2796.jpg

So I get up to my parents house and go to show my stepdad the slide and the shoulder pin got the fridge slide latch broke. Looks like a defective pin. Sent an email to Adventure trailers and the next business day, they replied to my email and had shipped the replacement for me. That's great customer service. They definitely stand behind their products and make it right.
    IMG_2808.jpg IMG_2809.jpg

So to mount the comboslide, we are using L track that Chris and I had cut down and ground to fit the tracks. This is mounted using butyl tape for sealant, and 1/4"20 stainless hardware. It is completely flexible.
    IMG_1223.jpg IMG_1225.jpg

When you unload your truck into the open bay of a garage and the project boxes are everywhere. Spent a good bit of time this weekend sorting and organizing my stuff, threw away an entire garbage bag of trash and packaging from the project totes. I was able to sort through all the hardware and put each type in a bag, so things wouldn't be as chaotic. The goal was to get the truck to a place where I could get into a project without having to hunt for things or know what I have, so I didn't just buy new every time I wanted to do a project.
    IMG_1231.jpg

Comboslide mounted on the rails with the Snomaster on top.
    IMG_2853.jpg
    Fridge slide extended.
    IMG_2855.jpg

Stove extended.
    IMG_2859.jpg

It was hot as hell that day, so had to keep the brow sweat to a minimum with patriotic headware. Murica!
    IMG_2860.jpg

Part of the prep for next weekend (30K miles service), rotated tires and inspected breaks.
    IMG_2864.jpg IMG_2862.jpg

Trimmed the bedmat to go around the fridge.
    IMG_2866.jpg
    The best thing about where it got trimmed, I was able to keep "TACO" on the logo.
    IMG_2867.jpg

Mounted a fire extinguisher. Open flame bolted to the truck, it was time.
    IMG_2868.jpg

Mounted the inverter to the wall next to the charge controller. Still need to wire everything up.
    IMG_2869.jpg

All in all, pretty productive weekend despite the heat.

2. Jul 3, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    Thanks. This has been a dream build for me as well. Good luck with your PRO. I'll be sure to follow along. :cheers:

3. Jul 3, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    sawbladeduller

sawbladeduller semi-realist

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    Clean mounting solution for your combo slide. I had not thought about grinding the L-track to fit the groves, mine sit on top of the ridges, on top of plywood. What did you do underneath the bed?
    And I like the cut on the bed mat, been debating doing that...but not currently using it.

tacofort[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 3, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Basically, just lock nuts and fender washers. The strength comes from the fact that there are 12-13 1/4" bolts in each one. I hate kneeling on the corrugation. the bed mat makes all the difference of the world back there.

5. Jul 3, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    sawbladeduller

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    i know what you mean about kneeling on the corrugation...I don't!...I use a kneeling pad product called 'Handy Mat' from ergo kneel.com I have two sizes and they get moved around in side the bed, and also outside the truck when I kneel in front of it..and around the house inside and out.
    ...funny thing tho, yesterday I put my knee down onto an L-track double bolt fitting...ouch

tacofort[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 9, 2018 at 7:00 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Completed 30k mile service this past weekend, New engine oil, new oil filter housing, new fluids for transfer case and front and rear differentials. Had to drop front and rear skids in the process found a few rocks I've been carrying around. Went ahead and fixed the front skid plate interference with the sway bar while I was at it. Wired up the inverter, bluetooth speakers in the rear, and cleaned up some of the wiring mess. Greased all the zerks, changed the cabin air filter and cleaned the interior. Sorted though a bunch of my camping stuff and got everything to a sustainable place. Just a few little things to do and I'm ready for my bigger trips this summer.

First trip planned
    July 20th-29th, Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Leave work, pick up the gf and dog, drive to picture rocks, wander to Copper Harbor area, work our way around UP Michigan for a week. Any tips or hints of things to see are encouraged.

Second trip
    August 29th-September 23rd
    Leave work and drive to Great Falls, Montana, pick up gf Friday at airport. Spend 4 days at Glacier National park, take North Cascades HWY due west towards Seattle area. My parents are flying out to spend the following weekend with family out there. My mom and gf fly back that Monday, my Stepdad and I will be driving back through Utah and Colorado. The plan is to hit a bunch of national parks and hit some easy and medium routes through Moab . Should be a blast.

Tips, hints, must see destinations are welcome comments. Anyone have any good pointers?

sawbladeduller, dskakie and mwc273 like this.
  7. Jul 11, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Below is the draft itinerary, stuff in italics is dog info

Michigan Trip
    Me, GF, her dog

Saturday Morning
    Leave
    Saturday Night
    Arrive and Stay outside Tahquamenon Falls (TBD, need to figure out campsite)
    Andrus Lake State Forest Campground W Vermillion Rd, Paradise, MI 49768
    Secure campsite, drive up to Whitefish point to check out lighthouse, swing back
    Or camp at North shore of lake superior dispersed on W wildcat rd 46.763213, -85.021967
    "A permit is required to stay on state forest land. This is a spot you can camp in the Paradise area. It is good for tent/car camping. I would think a trailer could make it down the dirt road, but turning it around would be a problem. I believe I saw a fire ring here too. Follow the road to whitefish point. About a mile before the point you will see a historic building on the right and Wildcat road to the left. Follow Wildcat road past the bogs/cranberry farm and you will reach a spot where the road connects with the North Shore of Lake Superior."
    Closer to the falls Paradise, Michigan GPS: 46.641113, -85.126612
    Sunday Morning
    Do upper and lower falls -Dog Friendly
    Upper Falls, McMillan Township, MI 49768 (Tahquamenon falls)
    Sunday Afternoon
    Sable Falls, Burt Township, MI 49839 169 step stair case -Parking and Picnic Areas only
    Great sable banks and dunes Accessed by ⅓ mile trail from sable falls parking lot.
    Sunday Night
    Stay somewhere near sable falls (TBD)
    Or stay in Munising
    https://munisingtouristpark.com/
    Monday Morning
    Miners Falls, Munising Township, MI 49884 1.2 mile round trip -Parking and Picnic Areas only
    Monday Afternoon
    Munising Falls, Munising, MI 49862 800ft paved path -Dog friendly on paved trail to the falls
    Monday Evening
    Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore -Dogs Not permitted on lakeshore beaches
    Take sunset boat cruise -Board Loretta free service
    https://www.picturedrocks.com/fares-schedule/
    Monday Night
    Stay Somewhere near Pictured rocks (TBD)
    https://munisingtouristpark.com/
    Tuesday Morning
    Drive to
    Bond Falls, Haight Township, MI -Dogs allowed on boardwalk to falls
    Tuesday Afternoon
    Possible beer or lunch at Keweenaw brewing company taproom or Red Jacket Brewing Co
    On the way up the Keweenaw Peninsula, stop at
    Hungarian Falls, Hubbell, MI 49913 -Dog Friendly
    Drive to Copper Harbor, Michigan
    Eat Pasties
    Tuesday evening
    Stay at Keweenaw rocket range or High rock Bay
    Wednesday Day
    Explore Copper Harbor Area,
    Manganese Falls -Access is a bit steep
    Brockway Mountain Drive
    Brickside Brewery
    Estivant pines LOL -Dog Friendly
    Wednesday Night
    Stay at Keweenaw rocket range or High rock Bay
    Thursday Morning
    Drive to
    Lake of the Clouds, Carp Lake Township, MI 49953 Pet friendly leashed, no state buildings
    Arrive Mid day
    Hike a trail?
    Camp nearby that evening (TBD)
    Friday Morning
    Drive to Kelly’s cottage
    Friday Night
    Stay at cottage
    Saturday
    Chill at the cottage
    Sunday
    Drive home

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    sawbladeduller and H3llRid3r like this.
  8. Jul 11, 2018 at 3:43 PM
    justyr1

justyr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco Turd Pro
    Looks like a fun trip man. Looking forward to the photo drop.

tacofort[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 12, 2018 at 7:20 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Pics from the last UP Michigan trip Me and a buddy did this trip a few years ago. Forgive the iphone camera, and forgive the Ridgeline.

mwc273 likes this.
  10. Jul 16, 2018 at 10:17 PM
    sawbladeduller

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    ..that 10 AWG marine grade wire is a dream to work with! built a loom with two sets of this wire and pulled it into place between the OEM battery position and then thru a one and a half inch hole in the cab pan, middle of rear cab under the rear seat hinge area. will mount my new rover mppt with blue tooth on the cab wall behind driver. wire forward to battery and to SB50 disconnects thru bumper for moveable solar panel(s).

tacofort[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Jul 17, 2018 at 5:58 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    I hate paying for it, but I can't say anything bad about marine grade wire. Phenomenal stuff. If I ever do another truck build, I'm running a 2"conduit from the front to rear for all the wires to go in. There are so many bundles going back, it's crazy.

The bluetooth is a bit of a novelty, but works. I'm a big fan of the rover. Good stuff. I don't love the SB50 disconnects, but they work.

12. Jul 18, 2018 at 7:00 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Doing some final preparations for the Upper Peninsula trip. If you haven't been, go to Copper harbor and camp due east near high rock bay. Glorious. Decent little off road trails out that way. IMG_2922.jpg

In preparation, I fashioned a bug net from this for the end of the tailgate. Additionally, I bought this net and used it to cover the awning area. Hoping I don't need either, but if the bugs are bad, I'll be happy.
    IMG_2925.jpg

Got the mood lighting installed on the bed side of the habitat.
    IMG_2928.jpg

And focused on making camp a little more organised. On the passenger side wall, I mounted the awning, hatchet, saw shovel and axe with some quickfist clamps to keep them out of the way and the ground mat and stakes tuck well into the bottom corner. Happy I don't need to dig anymore for these things and that they aren't in the way either.
    IMG_2943.jpg

mwc273, H3llRid3r and sawbladeduller like this.
  13. Oct 4, 2018 at 12:09 PM
    breakfasttaco93

breakfasttaco93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road

This is the AT combo slide?

tacofort[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Oct 6, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Yup. It’s great. Pretty handy.

15. Oct 30, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    Laro25

Laro25 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 LBDC
    TRD Pro Grill, Snugtop Rebel w/ Sportsman package, Prinsu Designs Rack, Weathertech mats,
    Is the habitat painted to color match or is it wrapped?

16. Nov 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Painted to match.

17. Dec 17, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    sawbladeduller

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    ...yeh...HBD

tacofort[OP] likes this.
  18. Jan 1, 2019 at 9:00 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Sorry been busy fellas .

19. Jan 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    Zarot101

Zarot101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zachary
    Vehicle:
    2018 DRK GRY TRD OFF-RD WIP
    Nice looking rig man. Any ideas on what your doing next?

20. Feb 11, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    It's been busy, so let's get this done.
    I have recently modified my interior panel to accept a molle panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The parts necessary are
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUBK3LY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XToyCbF2T5ZQQ

Pilot drilled holes for 56 #8 3/4” stainless steel Phillips head screws and used finishing washers. I did a grid of 14 by 4 across. I offset the panel from center to leave the edge that rests on the lip clear. Hope this helps.

#8 Stainless Finishing Washer Qty: 250 Countersunk/Cup
    [​IMG]
    $11 #8 Stainless Finishing Washer Qty: 250 Countersunk/Cup
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BP0L1BQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_itsyCb6RAYQC5

#8 x 3/4" Flat Head Sheet Metal Screws, Phillips Drive, Stainless Steel 18-8, Full Thread, Bright Finish, Self-tapping, Quantity 100 By Fastenere
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$9 #8 x 3/4" Flat Head Sheet Metal Screws, Phillips Drive, Stainless Steel 18-8, Full Thread, Bright Finish, Self-tapping, Quantity 100 By Fastenere
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LDVHE0S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PvsyCb9BPR3ZM

H3llRid3r, 14Tacos4me and Gunshot-6A like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top