1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma 2001 stock stereo replacement

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by CantCme, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Jul 30, 2007 at 11:05 PM
    CantCme

CantCme [OP] Member

Member:
    Im looking to replace the stock head unit with a new one and throw in a sub and amp. I needed help with the removal of the stock unit and what im going to need for the new one. If anyone knows anything let me know. Thanks.

2. Jul 31, 2007 at 2:59 AM
    BrianPK

BrianPK Offroad Enthusiast

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    you're in luck my friend... i just so happen to have replaced the stock head unit in my 2001.

the job is pretty simple...

first, you'll want to remove the thermostat knobs... they just pull off. then, the black plate surrounding the knobs.

behind the plate, you'll see a few accessable screws... you're only going to get 2 of them for this job. the first is on the right side (they're kind of a dark brownish black color) the other is on the left going into the dash toward the windshield.

you'll be unlatching the entire molding (around the vents, thermostat, stereo, ash tray) to do this, first remove the clips on the piece of molding that houses the power outlets (right below the ashtray) you don't need to remove it, just let it loose to give yourself some slack.

next, you'll want to point the two middle vents down, put your fingers in them, and pull back/down towards the seats. the dash part should just pop out.

be careful of all the wiring attached to it, some of the clips holding it in are weak... you don't want to break them... i just set it on top of the steering wheel for the time being... all i had to unplug was the ashtray light...

this isn't the first time i've done a tacoma stereo install, so i knew what i wanted. i ordered the stock "cubby, cubby/stereo brackets and some hardware" from a 96 toyota tacoma (they came with a more traditional sized stock stereo back then, and i wanted a cubby) it came to about $35 from the dealership.

there are 4 philips-head screws holding the head unit in place. remove those, pull the assembly out and you should be good to go.

hope this helps...

3. Jul 31, 2007 at 11:56 AM
    CantCme

CantCme [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks alont man. Its sounds pretty simple. Did you ever run an amp in your truck.

4. Jul 31, 2007 at 3:27 PM
    BrianPK

BrianPK Offroad Enthusiast

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    yeah, i stuck it under the driver's seat. i ran the amp outputs over the steering rod(under the dash there's a bracket with enough room to safely run the wiring without catching on moving parts), through the body panels to the spot under the seat, and then ran the speaker wires back through the body panels and through the bracket to the stock speaker wires location... maybe a little unorthodox, but i wanted to beable to quickly re-wire it when it went up for sale. i ran it like that for a year and a half... no probs.

5. Jul 31, 2007 at 11:44 PM
    CantCme

CantCme [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks alot man. Helped Alot.

6. Aug 1, 2007 at 2:13 PM
    Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    do a search on this forum and you shall find the answer. it also comes w/photo to help you out. i've actually use it and replace the unit w/a pioneer Avic-D3.

7. Aug 5, 2007 at 12:48 PM
    CantCme

CantCme [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey man about your 01 tacoma. I was trying to fit sub box right behind the passengers seat. I dont have my truck right now but wanted to know the exact dimensions of the rear room. If you could tell me how much room i have to work with with seats all the way back on their tracks. Thanks man.

8. Sep 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    TacoBlitz

TacoBlitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab SR5 TRD, white
    Topper, Yakima Racks, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket (lights all around) 20% window tint (all 4 doors), Spectre ProFab Air Intake System, Black grille, Rino Lined rocker panels, rear bumper and flares Suspension: New OME 881 coils and OME 5 leaf rear springs, Blilstein shocks and struts, Daystar Greasable lift shackels Extended rear brake line
    I ended up with one left over black screw... I do not know what I missed but I triple checked everythng and it looks like all of the screws are in place.

Does anyone know the exact amount of screws there are supposed to be when doing this job??? I apparently removed a total of 5 black screws but could only find 4 places to put them when re-installing the head unit.

Thanks in advanced

Products Discussed in

To Top