1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma base aftermarket fog lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stealthyhank, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Jun 7, 2019 at 6:55 PM
    stealthyhank

stealthyhank [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Base
    Aftermarket headlights, taillights, grill, toggle switches for air, and bull bar.
    Hello everyone. First of all. PLEASE DON'T JUMP ME. I have seen other fog light threads but they aren't helping.
    I am new here, but have been lurking for quite a while. I have looked on here, on Google, and onYouTube to no avail. I bought these headlight/fog lights back in 2017, trying to install off and on since...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W...ie=UTF8#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

I have even had my brother look at them too, and he doesn't know why they are not working either.

If pictures are needed I have no problem in posting, just let me know. I'll tell you what I've done...
    Under the hood:
    Both fog lamps are connected to the wiring harness- the ground wire is connected to the ground for my battery (on the side of the truck) and the hot is connected to my positive terminal.
    In the cab:
    I have an add a fuse with 15amp fuses connected to my ignition fuse plug and the ground connected to a bolt on the frame. The included On/Off switch is connected to this part of the harness.
    When I start the truck:
    The On/Off switch illuminates green for on then red for off when pressed but the fog lights do not turn on.

None of the fuses or lights have blown, even the one that came with the harness. Also, my connections are tight. This is driving me batty and any help would be appreciated. If you feel like coming over to help, beer will be given.:thumbsup:

And let me know if im wasting my time. I've seen other people install the relay in the fuse box under the hood. Maybe thats the only correct way?

2. Jun 8, 2019 at 6:49 AM
    Boilerman

Boilerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    Are your wires to your relay hooked up correctly?

3. Jun 8, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    stealthyhank

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Base
    Aftermarket headlights, taillights, grill, toggle switches for air, and bull bar.
    Boilerman,
    I am assuming that they are. The whole harness came prewired. I just had to connect what goes in the cab to what goes under the hood and connect the switch.

4. Jun 8, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    Rtcoker

Rtcoker Member

Member:
    I didn't wire my relay to the ignition. I wired it (the trigger wire) to my parking lights. That way the relay is triggered to allow the aux lights to come on regardless of parking, low or high beams once the switch is activited. The reason I point this out is this. You stated that you wired the trigger wire to "the ignition". You might want to double check that. It may be that your relay isn't really energized. Your "ignition" connection may only energize when you are CRANKING the starter, and then it will go off once the engine starts because the starter is no longer activated. Try connecting the trigger wire, temporarily, to your positive on the battery. If everything works correctly then, try attaching your trigger wire to something that stays on when the engine is running (parking lights!). If the lights still don't work for you when the trigger wire is temporarily connected to the positive battery terminals then you have some issue somewhere else in your install.

stealthyhank[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 9, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    stealthyhank

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Base
    Great idea! I’ll try that tonight and update. Thanks.

Update: I tried your idea and I had the same effects. I’m assuming that the wiring harness is just bad, and I’m not as dumb as I thought. I am ordering a new harness. Thanks- if it doesn’t work I’ll let everyone know!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  6. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    Rtcoker

Rtcoker Member

Member:
    Double check that the actual light fixtures are grounded. If they are mounted to or through plastic you might have to run a separate ground wire to the actual light fixtures.

7. Jun 12, 2019 at 2:50 AM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    Have you tried wiring the lights direct to 12 volts to make sure they light up? You might also have your 12v hot and your load to your relay backwards. I would bypass the relay temporarily and just try the switch. The leds won’t draw much just to try and figure out your wires

Products Discussed in

To Top