1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Buying Advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DrWang, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jul 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    DrWang

DrWang [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab SR5
    Hey guys,

This forum is fantastic! I'm really looking forward to owning a Tacoma but I'm in the market and this is where I could use some advice.

Needs: I'm looking for a truck to travel on occasional gravel roads and haul kayaks and other dive gear. I'm also a new home owner so I also need to move lumber, construction debris, and other random large objects. But, mileage is also important to me because I drive quite a bit on country roads (speeds around 50-60mph) and on highways as well. I live in Sonoma County, California BTW.

Tacoma: I don't need 4x4 but I would appreciate some extra ground clearance and some extra cab space so I have been looking at 2002-2004 Extra Cab PreRunners with an automatic transmission. Hopefully something under 100k miles.

Budget: Around $10k

Questions:
    1. I've been trying to track down reliable MPG estimates for the I4 vs. V6. On the books it seems there should only be a slight difference (1-2mpg), is that true? I'd like to get at least 20mpg but if a V6 can get 18-19 or more, that's not too bad! I would also prefer an AUTO transmission, go V6 here?

2. PreRunner or 4x4? So the PreRunner has some extra lift, a locking diff and other cosmetic differences. Anything else to consider here? I don't specifically need 4x4 but I could see how it would be useful occasionally (for me: potentially towing or mountain driving) but I think that the hit on MPG wouldn't justify the occasional utility I might see out of 4x4. Any thoughts?

3. Anything else to consider? (I'll definitely get it checked out for frame rust)

Thanks for your advice! This forum is sweet!

Brian

2. Jul 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Not all prerunners have the locking diff, not all 4x4s have a locking diff. Only V6s that have the TRD package have locking diffs.

Also, don't ever use 4wd on dry roads. If you do, your diff will explode.

Since you dont really ever see snow, I'd go with a locked prerunner.

3. Jul 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    I would go 4x4 but I actually use mine a lot so I can't really justify ypur situation, I have a 98 4x4 extra cab 5 speed I4 so it does pretty well on gas

4. Jul 11, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    whitetaco01

whitetaco01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner
    Mid Travel Stuff
    I would go with the v6. You can get decent MPGs based on your driving habits. Just letting you know that body style started in 2001 and ended in 2004. I think im getting like 17 mpg with the prerunner v6. Like they said the lockers come with the TRD package. The 4x4s might be a little harder to come by. Make sure to get maintenance records and see when or if the timing belt or any other high mileage maintenance has been done. Got mine off autotrader, keep checking it, the good deals go fast. Your gonna love the taco

5. Jul 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    The best mileage I've ever seen on mine is when driving country roads, maintaining 50-60 mph. 18-19 mpg is totally reasonable and easily attainable in those conditions. Stop and go, and 65+ mph will lower the mpg average.

A PreRunner model will not necessarily get better mileage. The 4WD systems in these trucks are very efficient. In and of themselves, the front diff, driveshaft and t-case will not lower mpg. Engaging 4WD will lower it some but less than you might think.

6. Jul 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    As a Pre TRD [w/elec. locker] owner, I recommend the 4x4. It's a great truck, until I wish I had 4wd.

7. Jul 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    dip

dip Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    My 01 regular cab get 22-23 MPG. I have and auto and 4X4. I even run my truck on the power setting.

8. Jul 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    BigBawlzTaco

BigBawlzTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma SR
    prepare to spend alot of money now that you've been exposed to this forum. Welcome. :D

9. Jul 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Go with a 4X4. I've wished I had soooo many times. I wouldn't get an auto with a 4 banger, but that's just me. I don't know about the 2.7 but the 2.4 (the engine in mine, probably won't come in any of the models you're considering) is a total dog with an auto. Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top