1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma cargo trailer size questions and suggestions

Discussion in 'Towing' started by freddiger, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Sep 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    freddiger

freddiger [OP] Member

Member:
    I own an 05 V6 access cab and am in the market for a trailer. After reading the Towing Bible (thanks!) I feel like I'm almost ready to pull the trigger minus a few questions

I'm looking for a 5/6'x8/10' (i think) enclosed cargo trailer to haul a motorcycle and some stuff for an out of state move of ~1200 miles. The trailer will be used a bit for storage and eventually I'm hoping to use it primarily for hauling 2 motorcycles.

Questions:
    -Has anybody bought a trailer for their 2nd gen tacoma and wish they'd have known something (other than whats in the towing bible) before investing?

-I've read on here that the 5' wide trailer almost seems like its not there and works well with the stock mirrors given the width. For this reason alone is it worth maybe doin a 5 footer granted my crap can fit within this size?

-I'd prefer a tandem axle w/electronic brakes on the trailer but is that too overkill, considering price isn't too big of a factor, for a trailer as small as 5'x10' (or 6x10) and are they even available? (so far not available at the two trailer yards i've been to)

-My local dealers are pushing Wells Cargo (specifically fasttrac) and Haulmark hard, y'all have any strong preferences/brand loyalty to a specific make and/or a warning for those?

Thanks for your time, cheers

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. Sep 24, 2016 at 4:57 AM
    Kaerntner

Kaerntner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 doublecab limited 4×4
    Get the biggest one you can afford.Tandem axle preferred, 12 or 14 footer.The longer the trailer ,easier to back up.!V nose if possible.Tacoma will pull just fine.My opinion,on that small a trailer and no more weight that you have to consider,I wouldn't worry about trailer brakes.There are a number of companies that offer axle brake kits as add-on.Extend the mirror kit for occasional use.

freddiger[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 24, 2016 at 5:02 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    This probably isn't too helpful, but I thought I'd chime in.

I towed a 6x12 enclosed U-Haul 1300 miles with a total weight of about ~3400 lbs (trailer and crap inside) and it had tandem axles. The stock mirrors did just fine, and the only brakes it had were the hydraulic surge ones (who knows if they even worked)

freddiger[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 24, 2016 at 11:14 AM
    freddiger

freddiger [OP] Member

Member:
    Makes sense now that I'm thinking about it that way, I'll definitely get a trailer similar to your suggestion

6 footers are back on the menus boys!

5. Sep 25, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
    What kind of motorcycle's? I have a 5x8 enclosed. I ride a Kawasaki Verseys (smaller touring bike) and my dad has a Honda shadow 750. They can both fit, but one has to be loaded backwards and even then it is a serious struggle. Get the 6'er.

Definitely get a v-nose(I don't have one). I mainly use the trailer for hauling my commercial lawn mower. The mower and other gear are about 1000#'s. I am amazed at how much the trailer affects my mileage because of wind resistance. There is no noticeable difference in my MPG's regardless of if empty or full.

I would recommend a 10' so the door isn't to tight on the back of the bikes. My bike has a top box mounted on it. I have no room to spare between the door on a 8'.

I do not have brakes on my trailer. The Tacoma stops it fine, however if I could have them I would definitely get them.

Products Discussed in

To Top