1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Frame Replacement Issue...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by littleredtruck, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Jun 15, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    littleredtruck

littleredtruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelli
    NH
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5
    So glad I found this forum -- this is a first time post.

I have a terrific 2002 Tacoma, with 80,000 miles. Beginning of May, the dealership inspected my frame and it failed. They ordered the frame, and said they'd see me in a couple of weeks.
    Meanwhile, NH requires yearly inspections, so I brought my truck to my mechanic and in order to pass inspection it required calipers, rotors, shocks, and an annoying fuel air sensor so my engine light would go off. Fine with me -- I've only replaced tires on this awesome truck. After the work, it passed state inspection with flying colors.

Four days after my state inspection, I brought my Tacoma to the dealership for it's new frame. It was there for 5 days.
    Day after I get it back, Tacoma is driven 150 miles to MA. The exhaust blew out, and the starter is making horrible sounds.
    Called dealership and they said that the frame replacement should have no bearing on these issues. Yet, my mechanic did not pick up on ANY exhaust/muffler issue.
    Any advice? Anyone have a similar situation?

2. Jun 15, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    What do you mean by 'the exhaust blew out'?

When did the starter noises begin? Can you describe them and how they occur in more detail?

3. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    littleredtruck

littleredtruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelli
    NH
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5
    The starter sounded whiney the day I picked it up from the dealership. During the trip the next day, the exhaust sounded rumbly and way louder than usual. My son looked underneath and said the muffler was cracked.

4. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    I doubt you could make a reasonable case that the muffler crack was definitely a result of the frame replacement procedure (especially if it's the original muffler).

If the starter was removed and re-installed during the frame transplant, there might be a chance it's not engaging the flywheel correctly for some reason (e.g., misalignment in its mounting).

5. Jun 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    01wrtaco

01wrtaco New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    My 01 Tacoma is in the shop now getting a frame replacement. After reading this post, I will make sure everything is appears normal before I drive off the lot. You may be going back and forth with them unless you can prove the starter noise was from the frame replacement. I would keep pressing.

Products Discussed in

To Top