1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Habitat AT

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by battdoc, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Sep 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

URBIKESUCKS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    That sucks about the support poles, Think I met you and your girl at AT when you guys were getting something upgraded. I think you said you guys were from Alaska

2. Sep 14, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    What options did you select to increase the price $4000? Do you feel they were worth it as opposed to the bare base model?

Taquita[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Sep 15, 2017 at 1:07 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    Yep that sounds about right as far as options.

I went w/ the Base model, so California tax and install fee was in the upper 9000s.

I'm doing a phased approach so I can spread out my upgrade costs.

• I installed my own carpet. $0.45/sq foot at Lowes and a can of 3M Super 90.
    • Sheet of 3/4" 8'x4' Home Depot plywood as a "bed plate" w/ 3/8" hardware
    • Used Front Runner Fridge Slide
    • 4' Airline Tracks for $120 bucks from Amazon to tie down my bins
    • A bunch of Front Runner Bins (they're great because you can just use ratcheting straps to hold them in place
    • Ran power from the battery in the engine bay to the rear -- Using a Blue Sea panel for fusing and distribution
    • Most of my stuff runs off USB. Harmon Kardon Bluetooth Speaker for sound, USB powered lights. Kitchen Cabinet lighting

I'm thinking about doing hatches, but I don't need them until after I finish building my cabinet system. The sleeping in a vault thing is actually really nice for rainy and windy days. In the Grand Canyon last November, we had to deal with a couple of storm fronts and it was super windy nearly every night. Left the top unpopped, and just closed the hatch. Slept like a baby, had a sleeping pad and two sheets of reflectix over my storage bins, and a bottle of hot water wrapped in a couple of dirty socks.

4. Sep 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    kalieaire

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10

Yeah, I figure I'm fairly handy, if there's anything I'm missing in my skillset, I could just go to Youtube University to figure it out.

5. Sep 15, 2017 at 1:58 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    If I can ever swing one this is the route I would go as well

6. Sep 15, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    lookin good, I got mine with front and rear window, slowly building may add porthole windows on the side later.

7. Sep 20, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    jonburtt

jonburtt JON BURTT

Member:
    Southern California

NOPE WRONG.... I do NOT use a bed rug nor would I ever. So not sure why youd think I use that product.

8. Sep 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    kalieaire

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    dang, i thought i read you used that. guess i was wrong, oh well.

9. Sep 21, 2017 at 3:41 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    That must be one hell of a kitchen

10. Oct 8, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    Mountaineer Glamper

Mountaineer Glamper Member

Member:
    Have you had it in the rain? Mine still leaks pretty bad even after getting the seam seal kit from Adventure Trailer. The attached pictures are from last weekend. It doesn't leak as bad, but 12k for a leaky tent seems unacceptable. I am holding off on writing a full review until the leaking gets fixed. Adventure Trailer acknowledges they had a problem with the tents leaking but not very impressive on how to resolve it.

They were proactive in telling me the found they have a problem with leaky tents and offered to send to send me a seam sealing kit or I could take it to one of their dealers. AZ is 1700 miles round trip for me so I chose a dealer in CO. The dealer was not comfortable performing the work so I opted for the kit. After sealing the seams with 2 products they sent (Seam Seal and Seam Grip) it still leaks. I emailed AT and asked that they have one of their dealers do it as offered in their original email. I have had to do some arm twisting to get them to honor the offer they gave me. They have not given me a date yet, but they said they were going to be in CO and could seal it if I could meet up with them. I will post a full review after the work is completed.

20170930_031047.jpg
    20170930_031101.jpg

11. Oct 8, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    Mountaineer Glamper

Member:
    Yes, satellite radio does not work for me (which doesn't bother me at all).

12. Oct 8, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    Mountaineer Glamper

Member:
    I have a little over 12,000 miles on my Habitat. I live in Denver CO so altitude does help some with gas mileage. I am getting 18 - 19 MPG most of the time. If going on the interstate (over 70 mph) then I drop to 15 -17 MPG. Wind can make a noticeable difference (particularly a tail wind).

13. Oct 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    That's some pretty poor quality. My RTT has spent days in the rain without leaking like that.

Taquita likes this.
  14. Oct 8, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    excorcist

excorcist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner
    Ordered my habitat this week... I had heard that these tents were supposed to be top of the line, hopefully something that can be easily remedied.

URBIKESUCKS and Taquita like this.
  15. Oct 8, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Yea the weight shouldnt be a problem, I am running a Total Chaos SUA kit with expedition pack... You have any pictures of your habitat floating around?

16. Oct 8, 2017 at 10:49 AM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Does it lean back when occupied? I didn't see the above post when I posted my other comment about that- the website pics look like it did even just opened up, but now I think I'm wrong...

Taquita likes this.
  17. Oct 8, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Mountaineer Glamper

Member:
    I would remove the mattress, and spray the habitat down from outside. Be prepared to be very disappointed. Seems odd they think we can do it with a kit but not confident a dealership can do it. You should have seen how bad mine leaked before I sealed the seams. Below is the last email I got from Adventure Trailer. I would strongly encourage you to see if yours leaks and then reach out to AT and get yours sealed also in Arvada when they visit (whenever that is).

"At this time none of the dealers have enough experience sealing the tents for one of them to do the work and be successful 100% of the time.
    I am trying to arrange to go out to Chris in Arvada Colorado. IF you bring your Habitat down to him at the same time I can seal it.
    Cheers"

18. Oct 8, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    Mountaineer Glamper

Member:
    It is level but the skirt gets longer the further out you go so it "looks" like it leans back but the sleeping platform is level.

19. Oct 8, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    How is it with you and your lady in their room wise?

Also we camp with two dogs... was thinking of putting their dog bed on the "shelf" above the cab, that or making an extra platform kind of like the "drop in panels" they provide for 360$ each. Where do your pooches sleep?

20. Dec 3, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Should be about another month before I can pickup the Habitat... curious if you guys cook inside them or outside? I would imagine for greasy stuff its probably best to be outside.

To Top