1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma lesson learned

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jgunccrugby, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Oct 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    So today I had to take my beloved new Tacoma into the shop to have the lock and window replaced where some crack head retard broke into it last night.

So, the fine people of the local car rental establishment that my insurance company works with put me in a Pathfinder... I once thought Pathfinders were sharp looking and a potentially great vehicle. However, the I stopped finding the body styling as appealing and simply looked beyond it, especially after the first time I drove a Tacoma.

Anyway, I hate the Pathfinder. Yes I love my truck, yes it is set to my comforts, but the Pathfinder is horribly engineered. The cabin makes you feel like you are in a minivan with a lift kit and if not for its smooth shifting transmission and relatively powerful engine I could say nothing positive about it. The stereo is in an awkward position, the arm rest is too low, the vehicle sits about 2.5-3 inches lower to the ground (or at least feels like it), and one of my pet peaves... Only one door look that you can use a key in.

Call it a Tacoma crush or hating on the Pathfinder but the experience reinforced my content with my new truck. Outside of the a-hole messing it up last night.

2. Oct 25, 2007 at 7:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Tell me about it.... Only one week after having possession of it, I had to take it back so they could fix some scratches and get rid of the license plate holes somebody screwed into.

They gave me a rental car for 3 days - and I honestly can't remember what it was (Toyota) but I hated it!!!

I felt like my azz cheeks were riding 2" above the pavement. It was somewhat chincy inside too!!

I guess when you get used to something - you just don't like everything else.

3. Oct 25, 2007 at 7:13 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Bummer. I hope they get it fixed up better than new for you.

4. Oct 26, 2007 at 7:27 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I know just what you mean jg. I just got my truck back this week and for the past two weeks i have been driving a Camry from the dealer. I absolutely hated it. I never felt more comfortable or more at home after i got back in my truck. you get spoiled after you drive it for a while then if you have to drive something else you are miserable the whole time

5. Oct 26, 2007 at 9:28 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Oh yeah, these trucks rock.

I drove my X-wing fighter the other day and it sucked compared to my Taco. The inertial dampening system is way better in the Tacoma. ;)

Seriously though, I love this truck.

6. Oct 26, 2007 at 12:28 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Viper: you love you some nerd stuff dont you? Star wars in this thread and you dropped some star trek references in another. (for the record i love the original 3 star wars movies, however, i loathe the new ones)

7. Oct 26, 2007 at 12:43 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    my gf has a new accord it is nice and she likes it i cant stand being that close to the ground

8. Oct 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM
    GMG3

GMG3 Carolina Alliance: Golden State Division

Member:
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Access 4X4 SR5 TRD Off Rd Manual 6 Tow Spd
    I feel your pain. I owned a 96 Pathfinder (bought used) as a third car for about 7 years. It served it's purpose, but wasn't what I really wanted. It felt underpowered, got terrible gas mileage, and drove sloppy. Even though it was 4X4, all it really was was an oversized station wagon. SUVs are not as practical as people think either. Too many things you can't haul in them, and what you can you can't haul that much. It was fine for taking four people and backpacking gear to the Sierras, but useless for taking a stove or refrigerator up to the cabin. Since there's just the wife and I now, I don't need to haul four very often (and don't much want to).

When I drove the Taco off the dealer's lot, I knew right away that this was what I really wanted, a truck, not a vehicle designed for guys who just don't want to be seen driving a minivan, but probably should be.;)

9. Oct 26, 2007 at 10:16 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    hahaha you guys are going to find this amusing...last month i had gotten word that the repo guy was around looking for my taco cuz i guess i forgot to pay for it for a couple months and just having moved, i couldnt find any of the statements and my mail was going everywhere. anyway, i had to hide the truck in my moms garage overnight and take her 98 cavalier with 130k miles home, then come back in the morning to grab the truck and go to work. TALK ABOUT A WORLD OF DAMN DIFFERENCE!!!! i only had to hide it twice, but each morning i opened the garage up to get my truck i pissed myself a little bit just from seeing it again! and then when i got into it and drove off, it felt like i'd been standing in a field for 6 days and then sat down on some type of chair thats more comfortable than anything else in this world (a taco seat!). thats definately a feeling of relief i wont forget haha:D

10. Oct 27, 2007 at 3:52 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Yeah man, I'm a trekkie. I'm not one of those geeks that goes dressed up to conventions or anything...I just love the show.

As for Star Wars, I agree. The first three were great. I do like the last of the latter three better though. But Jar-Jar was extremely...well....gay. :cool:

11. Oct 28, 2007 at 5:14 PM
    prclements

prclements Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road DC 4x4 SR5 Tow
    Running boards, bed mat
    Viper - I'm with you on that. You just moved up a notch in my book. I bet Worf drives a Tacoma on the hollow deck.

12. Oct 28, 2007 at 7:36 PM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    :amen:

13. Oct 29, 2007 at 9:53 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    The last one was ok just cause there was alot of fighting, but the only thing i really liked about the new ones was when yoda fought. that was just cool! Back in the day Lucas was a genius, no i think he just wants more money... he should at least find people that can act now that he owns an empire and has the money to pay them...

14. Oct 29, 2007 at 11:56 AM
    jgunccrugby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    I have to give credit on this one to the insurance company & toyota dealership.

I just got called with my estimate:
    Body work: 1100
    Glass: 200
    Rental: 300

They found and are going to replace my interior trim b/c there were a bunch of scratches in it in addition to the key and having to fix and repaint both doors b/c they a-hole pushed in the door pannel when trying to break the lock.

Much credit to the fine folks and Nationwide and my locak SE Toyota Dealership's body shop.

15. Oct 29, 2007 at 8:33 PM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Dude! Why are you messing up our Star Wars conversation with your dumb truck talk?! :mad:

Uh....oh yeah. :eek:

16. Oct 30, 2007 at 7:06 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    glad your insurance company is doing their job. who doyou use?

17. Oct 30, 2007 at 4:42 PM
    jgunccrugby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Insurance by Nationwide.

Also:
    Today I finally ordered my nerf bars.
    I got a pair of Smittybilt stainless steel Nerf's (on sale right now through 4Wheel Parts)

Also, since the reason I got broken into was probably the person seeing inside my truck, I will be adding tint to the front windows this weekend $40 (company contracted by the dealership)

18. Oct 31, 2007 at 6:41 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Nice! Tint makes the truck look much better, that was the first thing i did. So are you happy with Nationwide? I've been using Geico and have been happy but i've had to make 3 claims in the last six months so i'm worried about my rates. I may be changing if my renewal goes up too much.

19. Oct 31, 2007 at 5:07 PM
    jgunccrugby

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    They are the only company I have ever used. I have always been happy with them.
    3 claims in 6 months? Damn!

I get my nerf bars tomorrow (hopefully).

20. Nov 1, 2007 at 9:32 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, i know thats alot but only one of them was my fault. i use to have an old BMW insured too. I let my brother drive it and he totalled it so i had to report that since he messed up a F150 in the process. Then around the same time i was sittin in line at a drive through and one of those big industrial mowers shot a rock through my back window. In SC glass repairs are covered by insurance with no deductible so i claimed that too (over $600!). Then i was doing a little trail riding and a tree backed into me, that ended up being about $3400 in damage, and that was the only one that was actually my fault. So 3 claims in 6 months, only one was my doing. so i have a feeling my rates are gonna skyrocket!

Products Discussed in

To Top