1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Modifications Question?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Charro, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Jan 13, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    Charro

Charro [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello, thinking of the following modifications for my 05 Tacoma.

1. Banks Catback exhaust system.
    2. KN or Volant cold air intake.

Please give me your pros and cons on these systems and brands. New to the Tacoma world and dont want to make a mistake.

Andy

2. Jan 15, 2007 at 8:02 AM
    ducatista

ducatista Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CAPTAIN CRAZY
    DALLAS TX & CLARKSDALE, MISSISSIPPI "THE CROSSROAD
    Vehicle:
    TACOMA X-SP
    EVERYTHING THAT I CAN AFFORD ! ESPECIALLY IF IT MAKES IT RUN BETTER &/or FASTER, STOP QUICKER AS WELL AS LOOKING GOOD @ THE SAME TIME.
    Hi Andy,

I am the other Andy ! So, how about for list purposes I can be Ducati Andy ?

My thoughts were much the same as yours. And, I have a question too (for
    those of you that have a CAI). What brand do you have ? And does it still
    use the stock filter location and add a pre-filter ? Or just have the one air
    filter at the end of the intake tube ?

I haven't yet decided on an exhaust. Still reading the posts on different
    forums and comparing prices. I had a Borla cat-back on my last Yota, and
    it performed very well. But, I am really thinking of going to a full sysem on
    this truck. Jury is still out....

OWAF,

Andy

3. Jan 15, 2007 at 8:09 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Good luck to both of you!:p

I am afraid I don't know much about CAIs or Exhaust kits, but Pb2themax does and a few other guys as well. You may want to PM him to join this thread. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

4. Jan 15, 2007 at 1:17 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    To both Andy's , I would be interested in finding out how much the CAI improves the fuel mileage. I do know that cold air(in general) is better for power and mileage. I have two friends who have 04, V6's,5spds both with TRD superchargers, for more power and they use CAI's. Fuel gains are out the window with these two guys who were looking for horsepower.
    I have never seen figures quoted , just more HP and torque.

Jeff, bone stock, 06,6spd,SR5, Acc Cab 4x4.

5. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    Prerunner02

Prerunner02 Member

Member:
    Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 3.4L 2X4 TRD
    Current: AEM cold air intake Hard Tonneu Cover Drilled Front Rotors Flomaster air intake insert HID Conversion Soon: JBA Ceramic Headers Cat Back Exhaust
    I have an AEM CAI I bought from autoanything.com it was about $300 I was spectacle at first but its worth every penny.

First off the unit installs very easily it is a perfect fit. There are proper holes for hoses and prefect mount for the mass air flow sensor. It is vey well enginered , it was clearly designed specifically for the Tacoma.

Secondly the CAI sounds absolutly awsome. It roars when you step on the gas and is quiet otherwise. I have a 3.4L V6 and as far as I can tell its added some major balls to it. Could be just me but I am pretty sure it added a whole lot of HP.

Thridly it looks great and it has a dry filter. No oil no problems.

I recomend the AEM CAI 100%

6. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:42 PM
    Prerunner02

Prerunner02 Member

Member:
    Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 3.4L 2X4 TRD
    Current: AEM cold air intake Hard Tonneu Cover Drilled Front Rotors Flomaster air intake insert HID Conversion Soon: JBA Ceramic Headers Cat Back Exhaust
    BTW K&N filters need oil which in my opinion is bad. The oil will coat the inside of the intake manifold which I don't like the idea of.

7. Jan 7, 2008 at 8:03 PM
    Nitro_rc

Nitro_rc Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab TRD Sport 4X4
    The Banks cat back sounds awesome. I have them on my 07 DC. I plan to get the long headers and the URD Y pipe and make it a CAT less system. But URD has been soooooooo lazy with stocking their parts, I might just go and buy myself a MIG welder and make the Y pipe myself.

As for the CAI, I would go with URD (again if they ever get them in stock).

8. Jan 7, 2008 at 8:16 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not that this matters - On my previously owned Dodge Ram 1500, I had a dual CAT back exhaust and a Mopar CAI.... and yeah, the gas mileage got worse. Surely you gain horsepower but with that, is more gas consumption.

Before I installed the CAI - with just the exhaust....I got better gas mileage than stock.

The myth is that a CAI will help with gas mileage. And maybe in some vehicles it does...and maybe by itself (without exhaust), it'll help. But....it's the chance you take depending on what you're looking to get out of it. If you're looking for better gas mileage...then chances are, the CAI isn't a benefit (in my experience anyway).

9. Aug 6, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    JesseJames

JesseJames Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD
    6" Pro Comp Stage II Lift, 35" Mud Grapplers, TRD CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust...
    I just ordered the TRD CAI and I'm trying to figure out which exhaust gets the best performance as this will be my next purchase. My 08 TRD has a 6" lift and 35" grapplers, which seems to be pretty draining on the power, so I would like to get a little more out of my engine.

I love the sound of the banks - it seems to be the lowest and meanest sounding - but a lot of people say that the borla has the best performance. I'm also looking at magnaflow and gibson. This is my first Taco and I love it! Any suggestions? Thanks!!!:)

Products Discussed in

To Top