1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma on ice... I'll take the car instead.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Demoncleaner, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 10, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

Well, considering I seem to have more braking power with the ABS turned off and really have to push it to lock the brakes that way there is something more I could ask for! :D

I mean, with the ABS off I have to stomp and hold the brakes on deep snow or ice to lock the brakes up. I haven't been able to lock them up on dirt, gravel, asphalt or even wet asphalt. And yet for some reason the ABS has kicked in on all of those situations. Only thing I can think of is the ABS is over sensitive and kicks in before the wheel actually stops turning.

2. Jan 10, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Another thought. And I will put a major disclaimer on this. Please realise what you are doing before you incorporate this into your driving strategies!!!!!!!

The parking/emergency brake is NOT affected by ABS. It is a cable linkage to the rear brake(s). I think it is only to one brake but I am not sure. Maybe someone could confirm that. Anyway, for what it is worth, there is a non-ABS alternative for you. Again, just realise the dangers of using it before you do. If it only brakes one wheel, obviously controllability comes into question. If it is both brakes, that would be better. ANd to further my point, it might REALLY confuse the ABS system if you are using the E brake while the ABS is active. So maybe I should not have even posted this. It would be something for the "experimenters" to mess around with.

Products Discussed in

To Top