1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma outselling Ranger 2:1

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by WVTacoma08, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    SouthernFried

SouthernFried Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB
    I can’t even imagine someone taking delivery of a Ranger and spending MORE than they would have if they had bought the Tacoma. What a kick in the balls that has to end up being. Resale will plummet and the Toyota is tried and proven.

2. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Although it does not bother me, many, many people complain about the oil filter on our Tacoma's.

GillyLink and Junkhead like this.
  3. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    averagejp

averagejp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black Tacoma Extended Cab
    Work in progress
    Amen ... but those old Rangers were tough little trucks. I had one in high school and it never gave up. But that was a long time ago. Maybe it is just me but the actual company matters. Yes, Toyota can drive you nuts. Yes, they have that frame recall / rust issues (they replaced my frame on my 2005 SR50). Yes, they are slow to integrate new technology -- I mean, this year we finally get electric adjust seats on the driver's side only. All that considered, far more often than not Toyota does the right thing. They are not perfect mind you but all things considered I would rather bet my money on Toyota than any other car company. That kind of matters.

SouthernFried[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
    in other news, water is wet

Junkhead and boynoyce like this.
  5. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    kairo

kairo >_>

Member:
    Nor Nev
    Vehicle:
    '20 OR DCLB Quicksand
    There's a reason Toyota is a bit slow to add new technology. But it's directly related to why their resale value is so high. Toyota generally puts out a vehicle that works well, is priced affordably, and just doesn't really break.

They've built their brand on reliability. And reliability comes with minor changes over time on a proven platform. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" kind of mentality. If you want Toyota reliability with all the new tech, be prepared to spend the extra $5k or $10k on a new truck. All of that research and testing comes with costs to ensure reliability. Toyota's brand is reliability.

6. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    The engine had good power and was probably 248 HP or so when new. I had a few little things with the engine, but the powertrain itself was great. However everything else was not the same story. I had wiring issues, TPMS issues that even tire places couldn't fix, EVAP leaks, unknown coolantleaks. And that was after I spent $2K trying to fix those issues. Then the rust had started too and it was at 159,000 miles so it was time to let someone else give it a new life. But yeah, I didn't mind the 5 cylinder, but was excited to move back into a V6. Plus there's a little more room to work on things now since the I5 had a lot of electronics and things crammed around the engine.

7. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    averagejp

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    I totally agree. That's why every single reliability ratings have Toyota and Lexus as #1 or #2. For the most part.

kairo[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    SouthernFried

SouthernFried Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB
    Good looking little trucks regardless. Just not in the same category as a Toyota. I see Tacoma’s of those year models all over the roads still. Not so much with the Colorado’s.

9. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    RedWings44

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I see quite a few around here moreso than the Tacomas, but I believe that has more to do with the type of people. They're usually not in as good of shape for sure though. My 3rd gen is hands down an upgrade even though there are a couple of features I miss from that Canyon.

10. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:28 PM
    LDrider

LDrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 (sold to Carvana!)
    These trucks rated the same in predicted reliability as the Tacoma:

Nissan Titan
    Chevy Colorado
    Ford Ranger
    Ford F-150

These trucks rated higher in predicted reliability than the Tacoma:

Nissan Frontier
    GMC Canyon
    GMC Sierra
    Honda Ridgeline
    Ram 1500

And #1 in predicted reliability?

Toyota Tundra

Per US News and World Report https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/the-most-reliable-new-trucks-on-the-market

Consumer reports ranks the Honda Ridgeline (1st) higher than the Tacoma in reliability (2nd)

JD Power ranks the Nissan Frontier (1st), Chevy Colorado (2nd), GMC Canyon (3rd), and the Taco dead last. The Ranger is too new to rank
    https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings/dependability/2019/midsize-pickup

Can't find a single publication that ranks the Taco #1 in reliability. Resale? Yes. But not reliability :-(

Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger! ;-)

averagejp[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

i was out late the other nite shoppin at Kroger..........................fewer folks

came out did a double take

white ranger ' STX 'parked right beside me almost a clone

had the jump seats like the Tacoma used to have

tail end much higher than mine

nice lookin truck.......cheaper

more engine/ 8peed trans

tho im not interested it did look a notch above the canyon/colorado

actually the impression they used the Tacoma for a benchmark

Blackbeard83 likes this.
  12. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    RedWings44

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I believe I saw that in my research. The main issue with the 3rd gen Tacoma was complaints about the transmission which were addressed in the 2019 models and through a computer reflash. That's the primary reason the Tacoma was listed in the top 7 least reliable vehicles for 2019 by Consumer Reports. However, you have to question things when they say RAM is up there in predicted reliability. RAMs are notorious for having issues. I believe I had heard the 2019 RAMs had a total of 17 recalls already. Too many journalists were high on the new interior.

The Tundra definitely made the most sense at #1 because if it isn't broke, don't fix it. It can't tow like the competition, nor get the fuel economy, but it is certainly perfected about as much as it can be for reliability.

13. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM
    LDrider

LDrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 (sold to Carvana!)
    Yeah, that is what I thought too...But, who knows, maybe Fiat is getting their act together.....Wait. Nevermind ;-)

RedWings44[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    I dont mind turbos I just dont want a turbo four cylinder, I would rather the 3.7 engine from the f150 and explorer but the 3.5 turbo is a good engine to.

RedWings44 likes this.
  15. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:10 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    The tacoma is down 20% and the ranger is up 20% in a down market. That's really good for Ford. I said the Ranger would sell at least 50% of Tacoma sales by December 2019.

Looks like I got the direction right but the time wrong.

TacoBella likes this.
  16. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:10 PM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    I've got a second gen but I think you mean how it's not a spin on filter. I hate non spin on filters, ford uses them on the 2.7 turbo and the plastic lip starts to crack after 100K or so, they dont always leak when they are cracked but I recommend new ones if they looked cracked so I dont get blamed when they do start leaking.
    I will give ford this though most of the engines the last 15 years have easy oil filters, 1.5 is annoying to get the filter, I don't know how you'd do it if you have fat/large hands and the 2.3 in other vehicles have the filter easy to access.

17. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Right the 3rd Gen V6 has a Plastic Canister Filter on the bottom, access is much easier with the Pro Skid Plate as there is a small removeable panel eliminating the step of having to remove the skid plate.

Blackbeard83 and Junkhead like this.
  18. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:29 PM
    RedWings44

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Yeah there's a lot of misinformation about turbos and EcoBoost engines. The 2.7L and 3.5L were designed with the turbos in mind. If you stuck a turbo on an engine not designed with it in mind, of course it will be unreliable. The same concerns were voiced about diesels when they first got turbos and now those are known to go beyond a million miles.

brtnstrns likes this.
  19. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:35 PM
    Lucky-BFMC

Lucky-BFMC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane WA
    I’ve had a lot of Rangers over the years and really liked them. I always wanted a Tacoma but I was a Ford guy...but after getting my ‘18 I’d never go back. Even though I was hoping the new Ranger would be a great truck. I’m glad I didn’t wait for it to come out and bought my Tacoma instead.

20. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    averagejp

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Of course, no one should be looking to shoot the messenger. That would make no sense. Your point is not unreasonable. Here is some interesting background:
    https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2019/02/toyota-tacoma-engine-transmission-issues/

My comment was related to Toyota overall. And as these things tend to happen, companies go up and go down at times. Look at the data overall for Toyota in 2019. Top three brands overall are Lexus, Porsche and Toyota. That remains a consistent pattern over the years. No one is perfect.

No question there were issues specifically related to the Tacoma. You can see that in the data -- and that appears to be changing as well. New model year, well publicized challenges, TSBs, etc. As noted, "We can say this based on prior studies. For example, the 2015 J.D. Power Initial Quality survey had the Tacoma #1."

Let's see reliability over the next couple of years now that Toyota has made improvements to the Tacoma. I would also argue that being number 1 in resale value by a pretty large margin is a good indication that there is a data lag between those issue and what people are experience.

It is all good ...

Products Discussed in

To Top