1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Travel Trailer Towng: Read If You Consider Buying An RV

Discussion in 'Towing' started by PPower05, May 12, 2014.

1. Jan 15, 2018 at 9:40 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    You'll get worse mileage than you do pulling the tent trailer but a Tacoma with the tow package shouldn't have any issues towing the Camplite, just keep it out of OD and watch transmission temps.

2. Jan 16, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    huachuca

huachuca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD DC w/TRD offroad
    IMG_4956_zpshoaasnjh_426d412fd86e30f5fe3308b283e51506a123a0b6.jpg
    Boondocking in southern Utah last May and planning a return trip this Spring. Over 5K miles RT from NC and the Scamp towed great. Camper weight is around 3,500 lbs plus another 1K of payload (genset, coolers, extra spare tires, recovery, etc.) in the Tacoma. 12-14 mpg

Dave4ep, JimBob07 and donny like this.
  3. Jan 16, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    planemaker

planemaker Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Toronto, ON
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRD Sport
    I am waiting for my 2018 CampLite 14DBS. We pick it up in May. Planning a 6 month trip across Canada in 2019

Marc70 and Black Taco like this.
  4. Jan 16, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    donny

donny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    San Jose Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB
    Wow planemaker
    That’s my dream trailer
    Did you order it?

5. Jan 17, 2018 at 2:41 PM
    planemaker

planemaker Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Toronto, ON
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRD Sport
    Yes, it is being built as we speak. It is supposed to be here mid April. My wife and I pick it up the second week in May. It is a really nice trailer. I will post a picture or two when I get it.

dc welding, Capt Jrod, donny and 2 others like this.
  6. Jan 17, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    donny

donny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    San Jose Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB
    Details :)

7. Jan 18, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    donny

donny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    San Jose Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB
    Al.
    Huachuca
    I’m really impressed with your set up.
    Was looking how you did the hitch
    I can’t believe you pull that to Utah form North Carolina.
    I’m impressed I whine about 4-5 hour drive to this year Serra Nevada mountains

8. Jan 18, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    huachuca

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    Hi Don, thanks for the kind words. I’ve had a fondness for the southwest and for off-roading since my time as a young buck sergeant at Ft Huachuca in 69-70. We’d never relocate from NC but sure like visiting out that way as often as we can.

The Tacoma/Scamp is a great combo. The fifth wheel hitch is much more stable than a bumper pull so the drive really isn’t all that bad. We can make it with two nights on the road without pushing too hard. If you ever make it to the southeast, give me a shout.

Al

Capt Jrod and donny like this.
  9. Jan 21, 2018 at 2:11 AM
    FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    [​IMG]

I did a 2400 mile trip with this thing a couple weeks ago. It's about 2050 (manufacturer says that on their site) or 2400 by the sticker on the camper. The truck pulls it like a champ. I used ECT Power from stops and low speed, but on the freeway doing 70, I'd just put it in D. Most of the time it would be in 4th gear anyway, but would occasionally drop to 5th. I got about 15MPG pulling it. I notice that below ~60MPH, fuel economy would be markedly better.. but going down the interstate, that's not very feasible!

The camper is awesome, although I didn't get to use the full potential. It was below freezing for much of the trip, so I wasn't able to fill the fresh water tank, so I wasn't able to use the shower. I used the shitter, just flushing with some water in a 3 gallon jerry can. The furnace kicks ass, but the thermostat is stupid.

Anyway, I've only had the camper a few months, but I may end up selling it to get a truck camper. The Palomino SS500 looks like enough for most of my needs. Towing isn't really a big deal, but I think I'd just prefer a self-contained vehicle, even if I have to sacrifice a few amenities.

10. Jan 22, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    Desird97

Desird97 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport DC V6
    I have a 2015 v6, 4WD with factory tow package. for the last 2 years I towed a pop-up that weighed just under 2000k lbs but recently upgrading to a TT that is right around 3000 lbs. I have a brake controller and will be getting a sway bar, but how important is the weight distribution system? My understanding was that as those are generally needed when you exceed half your tow capacity, which i'm expecting to be close to with all the gear loaded. Any real world feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

11. Jan 22, 2018 at 1:41 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Take a short trip without a WD hitch and see if you porpoise...my guess is you will. A WD hitch will help correct that.

12. Jan 23, 2018 at 5:53 AM
    Desird97

Desird97 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport DC V6
    Forgive my ignorance, but what does "porpoise" mean?

13. Jan 23, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Front to back bouncing (up and down) no side to side sway.

14. Jan 25, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    uwu

uwu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice 5th wheel Scamp! Here's my 13'er I just picked up last year. Will be for sale soon as I've decided to go with a bigger truck and a bed mounted camper.

15. Jan 27, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    Capt Jrod

Capt Jrod Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    15 WHITE DCSB 4x4 TRD SPORT

You will want a good WDH... The rear suspension of the taco is very soft. Air bags really aren't as good as a wdh. I use a husky center line
    http://www.huskytow.com/product/husky-centerline-ts/
    I tow a CampLite 21rbs. I originally wanted a 16dbs, but couldn't find a used one clean. The 21 showed up and I jumped on it. Be a little more cautious with a single axle trailer. I was worried about the bigger trailer, but it does ok and the extra space is welcomed by the wife and kids. My camplite is a 2015 which is the last of the all aluminum trailers. @planemaker give yourself a good 2-3 hours to inspect that trailer when you pick it up. Fill the water tank, run the pump, flush the toilet, run the hot water heater, fridge (on both propane and electric), stove, furnace, A/C.... EVERYTHING. Get up on the roof and make sure everything is sealed correctly. With the fiberglass composite floors and rubber/plastic roof things are different now. Check all the cabinet doors, they have a reputation of falling off. They are still a solid little camper, but they were bought out by Thor and it shows. Yes there is a warranty, but it is only as good as the dealership. Take a flash light and pick it apart. My friend has one of their new toy haulers and it was very bad from the factory. It went back and then he and the dealer mostly worked it out. If he had it to do over again he would have waited for another one or picked a different MFG. Don't take possession until you are happy with the camper.

16. Jan 28, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    Lamokadave

Lamokadave Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    White 09 Double Cab Offroad
    How does the 5th wheel hitch mount in the taco bed? I've read it was a problem considering our plastic beds

17. Jan 29, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    huachuca

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    I've seen several different setups and all seem to work for the owners I know. Mine is actually pretty simple and came mostly from scraps I had from old farm equipment - I used the stock bed bolts and no additional holes, brackets or frame welding were necessary. Pictures and a brief write-up are available here https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/modified-gooseneck-19-scamp.223474/ The pictures show it in my 05 and it was later transferred to the 12. Between the two trucks, I probably have 75-100K miles of towing the Scamp and no problems yet, Let me know if you need any more info.

Scamp now offers a new design for their hitch that makes it easier to remove (mine takes five minutes for the cross bar or fifteen for the bar and towers). I've heard they were installing this on Tacomas but have no first hand experience with that https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-store-cat-view/fifth-wheel-hitch-items.html or give em a call 800.346.4962 - they're usually glad to answer any questions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  18. Jan 29, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    Lamokadave

Lamokadave Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Many thanks for this. I assume no sway control is needed for the 5th wheel setup?

19. Jan 29, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    huachuca

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    Correct - No sway control necessary. If you decide to pursue this, let me know and I'll get some measurements for you. The ball should be centered over the rear axle as close as possible but not so far forward that you have interference problems between the cab and camper when turning sharply.

20. Jan 29, 2018 at 8:41 AM
    Lamokadave

Lamokadave Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again. Right now my 09 D cab off road is stock height but I'm likely going to lift it 2-3" using either a toytech or OME lift. I'll either use the AAL kit or the OME spring 10 leaf for the rear. I'd also opt to lift the trailer as well. Will any of that change the towing or mounting considerations?

Products Discussed in

To Top