1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Useless for Towing... According to Manual!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Dustyroades, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Just browsing through my owner's manual and noticed the following warning in the towing section:

"To avoid an accident

Do not exceed 45mph (72km/h) or posted towing speed limit, whichever is lower. As instability (swaying) of the towing vehicle-trailer combination increases as speed increases, exceeding 45mph may cause loss of control."

Is Toyota serious? Has a single Tacoma owner ever heeded this warning?

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    Dustyroades

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I'm aware you can safely tow faster (done it many times). What I am questioning is why Toyota is suggesting 45mph is the maximum speed for towing when this is an absurdly restrictive, and in many cases dangerous speed.

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

This. When some jackass manages to roll a 6000lb. trailer over a group of orphans picknicking at a rest stop, Toyota wants to be able to point at that manual and have the lawsuit dismissed.

4. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Dustyroades

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Well then why don't they set the limit at 5mph. It's just as arbitrary and would cover their ass even more.

5. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Because in most states that would be illegal.

Listen, I'm not agreeing with them. I think it's stupid too. I'm just saying I understand, in the abstract, why they do it.

6. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    Dustyroades

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I'm not disagreeing with you guys.

My argument is this is the Owner's Manual; it is supposed to be the definitive guide on how to safely operate the vehicle. Ridiculous limits that any reasonable person will dismiss cast doubt on every legitimate limitation in the book.

7. Apr 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    I've noticed Toyota is conservative on alot of things. Their EPA mileage numbers are pretty easy to hit, the speedometer shows 2 MPH faster on the needles than you're really moving (when doing 72 on the speedometer I'm really moving 70), and their cargo load capacity is very conservative as well.

Basically, just like the other guys said, they error on the safe side for CYA purposes. I think they pick 45 because the speed limit Minimum on most interstates and therefore they just want you to drive as slowly as you possibly can while not driving slower than the law allows.

8. Apr 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast

not that i agree with toyota but "it is supposed to be the definitive guide on how to safely operate the vehicle" thats about what the manual is doing, it doesnt care about your opinions, 45mph is safewhether you think its a snails pace of not. It relates directly with what the others are saying, its a easy way for toyota to end useless lawsuits from idiots being stupid on the road

9. Apr 17, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    GA_TACO4x4

GA_TACO4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    marathon superhide max-4 seat covers, weathertechs, maglite mod, 20% tint, 2" leveling kit, leaf spring tsb.
    once i towed 5000 lbs @ 60 mph and survived :spy:

10. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    TheMrGExperience

TheMrGExperience Because Tacos are too mainstream...and Im poor.

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    01 GMC Sierra z85 4x4 4.8L RCLB
    Debadged, 4x6 to 6x9 rear speaker conversion
    i pulled 2 tacomas across state lines going 65ish. Im proud to say that the 2 tacos i was pulling did not flip and kill picnic-ing orphans ;D

11. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Go rent a U-haul and notice it says all over it not to exceed 55mph. I've taken em' juz a lil faster.

12. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Haulmark Trailers cite 60mph. UHaul and other rental companies cite 35-45. I would certainly take the most conservative stance that "industry experts" take if I was them.

It's apparent that you are move than capable of towing without worrying about what the manual says- Why get so wrapped around the axle about it?? (And lets not forget that not everyone who buys a Tacoma has the background that lots of us do...Do you want someone who just bought a truck and a trailer to try and hit the highway like they always do??)

Edit: If someone was dumb enuf to try high speed towing without knowing what they are doing- They probably won't read the manual anyways...but at least then the cost of their idiocy doesn't get passed on to us.

13. Apr 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    psshhh you think you know how fast you can tow a trailer, but toyota knows better!!!!!!!!!!! If you excede that 45 a man from toyota corp will swoop in and remove all of your towing privlages:p

Products Discussed in

To Top