1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Vibration on acceleration

Discussion in 'North West' started by Fedz, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jan 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have a 2012 (6,500 miles) with same vibration in driveline on acceleration ... at about 2,000 RPMs ... especially when pulling a slight incline ... and mine has done it since day one. Going to take it in for "rear spring TSB and have them check vibration.

I will watch this thread and do you want to move this thread into the main 2nd Gen area for more viewing ?? :confused:

2. Jan 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    Fedz

Fedz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fady
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR DBL SB
    OME AAL,
    here is the skinny, once Toyota service department say it is a normal condition and they will, you have one choice, which is to call Toyota and tell them you want to create a Case. Toyota will contact the dealer that has performed the TSB and and the dealer has 3 days to contact you. you can wait for the dealer or you can call Toyota back and ref your case number and say that there is nothing more the dealer will do, they will ask you what you want to do ( i said if Toyota cant fix the vibration then i do not want the truck) they will give you a new case number for arbitration and wait for a call and they might either buy the truck back or work something out.Atleast this is what happened with me .

3. Feb 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    JpAdct

JpAdct Well-Known Member

Member:
    PB County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ExtCab
    So if you don't mind telling us, did you work something out or sell it back?

4. Feb 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    Fedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Fady
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    OME AAL,
    I did not sell it back, i got the paper work to sell it back then i reconsidared, i called Toyota back and told them i want an extended warranty for free incase this vibration causes issues in the future. My warranty was extended to 8 years 125k miles.

5. Feb 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    Fedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Fady
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    OME AAL,
    The vibration is coming from the drive line, i believe it is the 2nd piece of the drive shaft after the carrier bearing. I have pretty much red all the fixes out there and made my own research. There are 3 main fixes that are very common.

1- Go with Tom woods one piece drive shaft with double cardan at the T case.
    2- Go with a 2 piece design either by using a 99 4runner drive shaft and lengthen it or get one made. If you decide to have one made you want it to be a 2 piece like stock with carrier bearing in the middle but with a double cardan after the carrier bearing.
    3- replace the U joint, i hear they have replacement U joints at Napa.

I do not think there are any more fixes out there that are worth trying.

6. Dec 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    Tobyb

Tobyb New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    Pre runner Trd sport
    Mine seems to do it in first but is real sluggish! Dealer says Trd is working on it but no fix yet!!!

7. Feb 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM
    BigE

BigE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCLB TRD sport
    check out my build page
    Mines a 2014 and only has like around 650 miles, and I've noticed that mine also has a slight vibration somewhere in the drive shaft when you give it a little gas, but only at the beginning. At first I thought it was normal since my dads 07 Duramax does that when you give it gas as well, but considering the fact that my dads truck has 110,000 miles and my Tacoma only has 650.. At first I thought I was going crazy, but thank goodness I'm not the only one with this issue.. Gonna have to talk to my dealer bout it, see if they can do anything about it..

8. Dec 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    Bluefj123

Bluefj123 New Member

Member:
    Tom Woods is a great guy and he stands completely behind everything he does but my experience the one piece steel drive shaft is too heavy for the tacoma resulting in a high speed vibration bad enough I worried about a damage to other components of the truck. I've re installed the original drive shaft, dropped the carrier bearing, and added 3 degree shims to no satisfaction. This is my third tacoma and my last. Simply sad Tacoma so successfully derailed a superb product.

9. Nov 30, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    Exiamobilesuit17

Exiamobilesuit17 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    washington
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma trd offroad
    still too come....
  10. Dec 17, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    iflyils

iflyils Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Wa
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFFROAD
    HARROP FRONT ELOCKER, ARB BULL BAR, OLDMAN EMU SUSPENSION ARB INTENSITY OFFROAD LIGHTS, WARN 9.5XPS, 32 in BFG MUD TERRAIN KM2, ARE Overland canopy with ARB ROOF RACK Line X premium bedliner
    Tyson hello my name is Chris I had the exact same thing going on!! I did how ever order the east coast gear needle bearing fix, now I did not go this route and sent mine back for a more permanent solution, I installed a front E locker and it solved the problem. I HIGHLY recommend!!! It fixed the problem. And I got a front selectable. Locker!!! Let me know if your interested and have more questions

11. Dec 17, 2015 at 7:00 PM
    iflyils

iflyils Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Wa
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFFROAD
    HARROP FRONT ELOCKER, ARB BULL BAR, OLDMAN EMU SUSPENSION ARB INTENSITY OFFROAD LIGHTS, WARN 9.5XPS, 32 in BFG MUD TERRAIN KM2, ARE Overland canopy with ARB ROOF RACK Line X premium bedliner
    Hey Fady. Yes I had the same problem, did you ever get your vibration fixed?

Products Discussed in

To Top