1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Vs. Tundra

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by BDawgTrap, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Mar 24, 2015 at 11:08 PM
    BDawgTrap

BDawgTrap [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cedar City Utah
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    Hey guys! I just sold my 01 DCSB 4wd V6 TRD Tacoma. I loved the truck but wanted more power and at 260k miles a SC wasn't happening.

Now I'm looking at a new truck to do a prerunner or long travel setup with and can't decide between a 2007+ Tacoma or Tundra. I like the interior space and the power of the tundra but I'm not sure of the pre-runner capability. I will be taking it out on the dunes occasionally and out to the desert. I'll be SC either one I get and getting the full cab size on either. What are some advantages and disadvantages of each?

2. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:00 AM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    I vote Tacoma because, Tacoma.

Plus I think the Tundra is absolutely the ugliest truck on the market...

3. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:21 AM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Base it on size....new Tacos are pretty much the size of a 1st Gen Tundra.....New Tundras are simply huge.

4. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:02 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Lighter is better. Even the second gen double can tacomas are pretty heavy.

5. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:07 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Tundras are huge and great if that's what you want. Much more comfortable ride on the hwy in my opinion but mileage will suffer, parking, maneuverability, and even resale value (in my area at least) isn't nearly as good.

I considered the Tundra dbl cab for a larger and safer vehicle but all said, didn't want to spend the extra cash on gas. I am happy with my DCLB Tacoma.

There are lots of threads discussing the 2 in comparison if you use the search function, so if you want actual advice for your situation you will have to give more details such as intended uses and priorities.

6. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:29 AM
    Supermoto

Supermoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Fallbrook
    First gen tundra is the best of both worlds IMO. V8 power and torque, lots of aftermarket support, good size, better frame then the second gen tacoma, doest have all the electronic BS that the second gen tundra has and awesome power to weight ratio.

7. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:16 PM
    Easy rider

Easy rider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    18' T4R 4x4 LT TC 3.5 over
    07+ Tundra for the power/size. Also your MPG will be the same either one you choose. I had an 07 Tundra and now a 13 Tacoma and wish I would have just bought a crewmax tundra.

8. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:52 PM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    1st Gen Tundra over 2nd Gen Tundra as Landon said. Bigger, heavier truck means bigger shocks, bigger axle, beefier parts, and overall more expensive to build and maintain. 1st Gen Tundra used parts are also way more common than 2nd Gen.

If you build a 2nd Gen Tacoma I vote 2006-2008 without VSC options. Minimal electronics to mess with. There are lots of 2nd Gen Tacoma parts floating around.

I would also narrow it down by your budget and planned build stage. Will it be a DD, weekend toy, or trailer only pre-runner LT build? A 2nd Gen LT Tundra will not be a fun DD due to the width.

9. Mar 25, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!

What he said....basically the 1st Gen Tundra is a V-8 current Tacoma. The Tundra is about 3" wider and in some ways a bit more solid feeling than the new Taco's. If you get an AC Tundra most dimensions are the same as the DCSB or ACLB 2nd Gen Tacos. I swap between the two on a regular basis and it is pretty close to driving the same truck as far as driving around, parking etc. Not sure about the wheelbase / length between the 1st Gen Tundra DC and the Taco DCLB but for me at least the extra wheelbase on the DCLB Taco made it cumbersome to drive / park etc. The turning radius on the LWB really sucked for the area I live in.

10. Mar 25, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    Wild Crow

Wild Crow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    DCLB Tacoma has a 140.6" wheelbase and is 221.3" long
    DC Tundra 2006 is a 140.5" wheelbase and is 230.1" long

I agree as I switch between my 2003 Tundra and my 2014 Tacoma easily. The Tundra is a little quieter for road noise. I like the V8 sound but the V6 in the Tacoma is pretty strong.

11. Mar 26, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    BDawgTrap

BDawgTrap [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cedar City Utah
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    It will be a DD. I own a 2010 scion that I can drive as well but the truck can't be just for play. I have two kids and need to be able to load them in and drive them around in 4wd when its snowy here in utah. I also like to strap them in and run to the sand dunes. They love cruising around the dunes. I will be running it in the desert around utah and maybe take a few trips to baja for kicks and giggles. I load my motorcycles in the bed for transport often and pull an occasional trailer so i cant do the 3 link suspension or a huge hoop in the bed, I'll probably do closer to a mid travel setup in the rear.

thanks for all the info guys, sounds like the 1st gen tundra is something to consider. If anyone knows the weight of their double cab 4wd tacoma or tundra let me know as well. I'd like to crunch some numbers.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  12. Mar 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    Canks

Canks Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB in pieces; 04 Tundra Access cab also in pieces
    I realize that this isnt the main part of the thread, but ties in to the side discussion and is something I have been thinking a lot about.

I currently own a 2005 Tundra 4x4 v8 "built" by DMZ Tim (camburg 3.5" kit in front DMZ rear end with Deaver C-27's) 35" tires, 4.88 gears, great truck super smooth great power.

I used to own a 2013 Tacoma Double cab short bed 4x4 v6, completely stock. Which I sold at the time reluctantly as I was going in to debt over starting a company.

2013 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB V6 vs. 2005 Tundra Access Cab 4v4 v8
    Width:
    Tacoma 74.6
    Tundra 75.2

Wheel Base:
    Tacoma 127.4
    Tundra 128.3

Overall Length:
    Tacoma 208.1
    Tundra 218.3

Specs are from Edmunds.com

0-60
    Tacoma 7.3 *2011 TRD pr 4x4
    Tundra 7.9 *2003 Access Cab 4x4
    Both times are from zeroto60times.com and should be considered close and used to reference that they are very similiar in speed

As you can see they are very close in size. I have been wrestling with the idea of going back to a 2nd gen 4door taco.

First I want a truck that can be a jack of all trades which includes playing in the rocks for me. The front drive train (front diff and cv's specifically)on a 1st gen Tundra are very weak, especially for a heavier truck. The 2nd gen Tacoma front diff specifically is significantly better. Too be fair the Tundra 4wd has currently kept me from being stuck in sandy situations, but I have yet to take it in to any rocks.

2nd in speed they are so close that you really wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the 2. The tacoma has the available TRD Supercharger which puts it ahead here.

Thats my 2 cents, after I buy my house this month I probably will clean up my Tundra and sell it even though it will cost me a bit of money to change trucks.

13. Mar 26, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Regular cab would be a sweet offroad rig if you don't need the back seats.

14. Mar 26, 2015 at 10:28 PM
    Canks

Canks Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB in pieces; 04 Tundra Access cab also in pieces
    agreed, something similiar to Dance Pants' truck....light and nimble and smaller/cheaper parts (in a non-race vehicle) ... not a bad option, the OP has 2 kids and I'm 6'6" so it just wouldn't work

15. Mar 27, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    txmxer

txmxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California and Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 dc tacoma
    - Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel kit - Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ resis -Prerunner bumper -Fiberglass front fenders -Fiberwerx tt bedsides - Dmz Sua - fox 2.5x16 triple bypasses
    For the record you can go full long travel rear and still load up your bikes, I got a bedsaver cage on my truck for that very reason, very minimal but very strong.

Products Discussed in

To Top