1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma With Diesel Engine Petition. Sign up now!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by freedomriding, May 21, 2012.

?

Toyota Trucks with Diesel Engine Option(s)

1. Short bed double cab Taco

60.8%
  2. Long bed double cab Taco

46.9%
  3. Accesscab

39.2%
  4. 4Runner

22.7%
  5. FJ Cruiser

21.8%
  6. Straight front axle

28.3%
  1. Jun 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    Naptown

Naptown Member

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Snapper head?? or are you butt buddie...gooo yooobama??? I said "manufacture" not "install" butt baby!!!!!

2. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    Lol @ this thread.

3. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
  4. Jun 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    :confused: are you 12?

5. Jun 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
  6. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    are we really doing this again?

7. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    This isn't gonna end well! Popcorn anyone? :popcorn:

8. Jun 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM
    2010TxTaco

2010TxTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Victoria, TX/Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    Black/SR5/4x4/long bed/double cab
    When I bought it, Leer camper shell, N-Fab nerf bars, Westin bull bar. So far I've put K&N air filter and Jet Performance throttle body spacer, lights behind grill, snorkel, custom grill, and weather tech floor mats. Axe and shovel w/bed mounts, high lift jack w/bed mount, and Brute force fab rear bumper.
    I voted tacoma long bed double cab, but think about how far you can go off one tank. I'm thinking about 500 or so miles off one tank, most of us get what 300-320 miles off a tank of fuel. Look at Mercedes-Benz the make a high output diesel that doesn't black smoke and isn't loud like some of the older diesel engines. Now if they did something like what is in the new Ford's would be freaking cool, twin turbo-turbo diesel; it makes tons of power and gets about 18-20 mpg on the 3/4 ton and one tons.

9. Jun 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
  10. Jun 10, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    2010TxTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Victoria, TX/Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    When I bought it, Leer camper shell, N-Fab nerf bars, Westin bull bar. So far I've put K&N air filter and Jet Performance throttle body spacer, lights behind grill, snorkel, custom grill, and weather tech floor mats. Axe and shovel w/bed mounts, high lift jack w/bed mount, and Brute force fab rear bumper.
    It's to bad the Toyota Hilax isn't over here in the states, you can buy them in diesel.

11. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    2010TxTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Victoria, TX/Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    Sorry Hilux

12. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    mill72

mill72 Active Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Off Road DC
    265/75/16 Yokohama AT/S with Black Method Wheels..... Coming: Thuren 2.5" King Suspension with full leafs.
    I currently have a 2009 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, and in the thinking stages to switch into a 2012 Tacoma TRD. I love driving a diesel and have been since the last 10 years. Reason I'm thinking of jumping ship to a gasser truck because I don't need a 3/4 ton truck anymore since I don't tow heavy. Also 9,000lbs truck+EPA components = bad fuel mileage for a diesel engine.

If small pickups (ie Tacoma's) had diesel option I would be all over that. A light weight truck with a diesel engine will yield almost double the fuel mileage than the gasser counter part.

Reading some of the posts in this thread. There seems to be some ignorance from some on diesel engine operations. Today's diesel engines are damn near just as clean to a Prius. The smoke you see are from guys/gals that install a programmer or tuner and crank up the power on a stock engine. Need more air (ie bigger turbo) to clean up with more fuel thrown. If left stock or supporting mods there is no smoke belching out the tailpipe.

Finally yes, the government/ CARB do not like diesel engines. They want to force people to drive small battery operated piece of sheet cars. Even though that battery in the Hybrids are hazardous waste when disposing. Also evident with the spiking of diesel fuel prices over the years when diesels gained popularity in trucks and some cars. Diesel option on small pickups would have a market if diesel prices fall below gas and not a huge mark up on engine option.

Ha, my first post to this community. I may be a Tacoma TRD owner when I get back from vacation.

13. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    http://rodeo.isuzu.co.uk/vehicles/denver
    This is Isuzu's diesel option in the UK. I have seen a few over here the past few days and I love them. They need to be just a little bit higher but they are great little trucks. I would LOVE to have a tacoma/hilux with the exact same setup as the 3L turbo diesel.

14. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    2010TxTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Victoria, TX/Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:

The Tacoma's are great little trucks, I sold my 3/4 ton Chevy to get a Tacoma. I miss my old truck from time to time mostly the power but the 8-12 mpg I was getting was for the birds. I'm like you I no longer needed a big full size truck, if I need to use a big truck I'll just use one of my parents trucks.

Here's a side note most people don't know about the battery in those Hybrids, there not covered under the warrenty and there about $3000-6000 to replace.

15. Jun 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s

I'm wanting a 3/4 ton cummins about that year, but I'll keep the Taco. :p

In fact we just test drove one. Mostly because I wanted to just check out trucks and the salesmen that insisted he help, insisted we take one for a spin. I'm still another year or two from buying one, but man was that Laramie pkg nice. I'm thinking 09 2500 with the 6.7/auto though, maybe a laramie or an SLT.

16. Jun 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    I'd like to get the truck style Land Cruiser available in Aussie land... diesel.. solid front axle... snorkel...

17. Jun 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    emelianenkov

emelianenkov Santa/Alex Emeliahoweveryouspellhislastname

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    NORTH POLE
    Vehicle:
    Alex's Shitbox Emporium
    NE Special Rust Edition
    I would love a Japanese import 4Runner with the 3L diesel and a 6 speed transmission. They make em! Just gotta find someone to import it for you :frusty:

18. Jun 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    JC5326

JC5326 New Member

Member:
    Mil, I share your opinions on diesel (and rediculous battery powerd's with their 2nd/3rd order gotchas)...just traded my beloved 2001 CTD (ETH/DEE) for a Taco. It was hard letting go of that truck, but as my opinion of it formed over the years, I bought a rockin' Cummins and bomb-proof 6-speed manual tranny, and a POS Dodge came with it... So the TCO of that Dodge finally caught up with me and I had had enough when some electrical-charging problems hit me this Spring. When that happens, general course of action is to throw money at components...PCM, ECU, labor-intensive sensors, etc..etc..etc... So I pitched it and got a DoubleCab short-bed with 6-speed manual. If I could go diesel again I would, they are incredibly efficient engines and most Americans have absolutely no clue about how efficient they are...most just make up their minds from propaganda and some old Mercedes they remember back in the day blowing smoke or like you mentioned, some knucklehead trying to get 800+hp (yes, not unheard of) out of their I6 Cummins with programable chips and new injectors. . It pisses me off that we can't get the diesels that run so well in other parts of the world...and yes, I'd go with a diesel Taco since I really don't need the room of a 3/4 ton and the Taco's are larger now anyway. Funny thing is, I get less efficient fuel utilization with my little Taco than I did with my full size oil burner. Gas sucks, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I really dig the Taco. Got the TRD OffRoad, DC, V6, 6-speed manual and it's a hoot to drive. Not as fun as rowing through the gears all day with the old Cummins, but lot's of fun in a different, more pint-sized way... You'll miss the Cummins and it's calming low-RPM mood and highway finesse, but will appreciate the Taco.

19. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    mill72

mill72 Active Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Off Road DC
    265/75/16 Yokohama AT/S with Black Method Wheels..... Coming: Thuren 2.5" King Suspension with full leafs.
    I totally agree with you. Yeah the earlier Dodges has issues as years go on. Except for the Cummins. Change the oil, fuel filter, good fuel and last you almost a lifetime.

Funny story, I test drove a 6 speed manual V6 Tacoma last week to get the feel of downsizing. I'm so used of driving my diesel 6 speed. That I let the clutch out before the go pedal. Needless to say I stalled it and just laughed. The saleman looked over at me with a "WTF" look on his face. I had to tell him with my Cummins, it has so much low end torque. It will idle off from a stop before giving it fuel. That's in 2nd gear unloaded. The Tacoma felt like a sports car test driving the loop through the city before hitting the freeway.

It will be interesting what company comes out for the first mass production diesel engine in North America with a small or 1/2 ton pickup.

20. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    JDMTACO

JDMTACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Double 4x4
    JDM HILUX exterior mods
    WE have the EPA in my opinion for us not being able to get a Diesel on US soil.

Products Discussed in

To Top