1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma wouldnt start .

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Larrydsmithh, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Jul 5, 2016 at 10:38 AM
    Larrydsmithh

Larrydsmithh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magenta Grey
    265 wrangler duratrac tires Window visors Chrome nerf bars Bull bumper Tonneau cover 2 1/2" Leveling kit
    Just got a call from Toyota and the wiring harness is faulty and under warrantee and, parts and labour . Only problem is the new one is in California and won't be here for a week / week and a half . Good news is I go back on shift on my tugboat for 2 weeks and don't need the truck out on the water .

2. Jul 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Glad you got it resolved under warranty.

Posting tip though, post all the stuff in one thread and then update that thread so people can follow it, rather than starting a new thread for each update.

3. Jul 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Im just happy you followed up at all. I don't know how many times people will ask a question, then never post if the suggestions were helpful.

4. Jul 5, 2016 at 1:16 PM
    Hot Tacoma Blown

Hot Tacoma Blown Well-Known Member

Member:
    NewYork
    Vehicle:
    05 4×4 tacoma
    Super charged,urd u - conn computer 7th injector, headers, pipe bomb y pipe,high flow exhaust.etc....
    Please let us know front or rear or engine harness.Had my rear harness replaced with frame leafs.etc.. All was good before!

5. Jul 6, 2016 at 5:46 AM
    Larrydsmithh

Larrydsmithh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magenta Grey
    265 wrangler duratrac tires Window visors Chrome nerf bars Bull bumper Tonneau cover 2 1/2" Leveling kit
    I'm thinking it's all one piece . But I did push in on the harness going through the fire wall and it started then died 2 seconds later . So I pushed in on it again and it started and was good for about a half dozen more starts . When I brought it to Toyota and it died . So tech spent a couple hrs looking and couldn't find anything . He went out an hour later and it started . His OBD said all things were good . So he suggested he wait until it died again and he can start recess of elimination . That's when he determined that the harness was faulty . Also my coworker has a 07 and another has a 05 Tacoma and there's a recall on the leaf springs . Maybe something you guys want to look into .

6. Jul 6, 2016 at 5:46 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I am having the same problem with my truck. It has been at the dealer for 2 weeks now. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. It justs cranks but will not start. Then for no reason it will start. Sometimes it the same day sometimes its a couple of days. When it starts all the codes and readings are good. They think the problem is the transponder amplifer that sends the codes to the ECU. You are lucky it is under warrenty. I asked about the wiring harness and they said a new one could run around $5000.

7. Jul 6, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    Larrydsmithh

Larrydsmithh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magenta Grey
    What year is your truck ? The had there
    " Master Tech " do the work and that is what he has determined . My truck is doing exactly what your is doing . He had checked the transponder amp everything he could think of . He waited until it wouldn't start " just turned over " to do process of elimination . Maybe you should request there best tech to look into it . My truck has 46000 km / 28500 ml on it . It's weird how it would start doing that 2 yrs into driving it and 2 weeks after installing new fog lights . He said I did no harm when installing the fog lights . Because I started to think maybe I poked a wire when I put a hole in the rubber boot going through the fire wall . He said it looked fine to him . But like I said earlier I had pushed in on the harness going through the fire wall and it started for about 2 seconds then died so I pushed in on it again and it started . It worked fine for about a day and a half then it shit the bucket again . So I tried that again but no luck this time .You would think it would do it from the start .

8. Jul 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    Larrydsmithh

Larrydsmithh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magenta Grey
    Lol I'm new to this site but will try to remember to post in on or same thread .

9. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:44 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    Sounds just like my problem. Sometimes I would grap a bunch of wires and it would start. The next time I tried grabbing the wires it would not start. No matter what process I tried it would never be the same. No pattern to it to make it fail or start. When it would not start the tech put a scope on the transponder and he saw a flat line, nothing going to the ECU. When it would start he would see the wavy lines of the transponder communicating to the ECU. Still it is no guarantee this is the problem. You are lucky you are under warrenty. Not me so I am racking up a nice bill.

10. Jul 19, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    Larrydsmithh

Larrydsmithh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magenta Grey
    Toyota Canada.
    Saint John Toyota.
    I bought a 2014 Toyota Tacoma from Saint John Toyota . I had 10 months left on the warranty or 16000 km when I purchased it in Feb/16.
    I didn't bother getting the extended warranty thinking I wouldn't need it where the vehicle was fairly new .
    Six months later on July/1/16 the truck would not start, ( the engine )just turned over.
    July/2/16 nothing at all.
    July/3/16 it finally started but just for a couple of seconds then it quit . On the next attempt it started and stayed going . I went around the block and back home .
    So I go in the house for a while came out about an hour later tried it and it would not start. I tried it numerous times that day with no luck .
    I finally got it started on Monday July /4 /16 and brought it to Saint John Toyota . I had asked the service manager if he has heard of any thing going on like this with any other Tacoma's .
    He said that there was nothing that he knew of . Well I went to start it there and it wouldn't go . They tried to do a OBD test on it but they weren't getting any info from the computer when it wouldn't start ( link error). So they kept trying numerous times that day and finally it started . The tech then ran a series of test and they all read good . So the next time he tried to start it , it wouldn't start again and the readings would read ( link error). They tried it again later and it starts .The service manager said the Tech will keep trying to start it and when it (won't) start he's going to try process of elimination on the wires in the harness .So he tries again and ( you got it ) it won't start . By this time I'm home and I get a call from the service dept they tell me we've got good news and bad news . The wiring harness is faulty.
    The good news is It's under warranty and so is the labour because that's a 3000.00 part.
    The bad news is the new harness is in California .
    I asked ok what about a demo/rental car that I can use until my truck gets fixed . They told me we're sorry but you didn't get the extended you only have manufactures warranty so there fore you can't have a vehicle until the new part has arrived and the work has started on it . So basically for a day . Oh I said scratching my head . Doesn't the extended warranty come into effect (after)the manufactures warranty is over?
    Yes they tell me but (Your) warranty is only good for parts and labour.
    So I patiently wait (2) weeks for the part to come in from of all places California . It arrived today July /18/16 and they tell me the part will be installed and hopefully you'll have your truck by the end of the day . About (2) hours later I get a phone call and there saying the truck is doing the same thing after the new harness was installed (it won't start ). We believe the new harness is faulty or was damaged in transit and they have to order another one again from California . Now I have to wait (2)more weeks for a new harness to come in . Why can't you have it sent over night delivery ? That's another (2)weeks without a vehicle . I've been after them for a demo/rental car since day one but if I had extended warranty I could have a demo/rental car. Two hours later I get another call and now they say we're just going over your contract and there's a glitch in the contract and now you can get a rental for (5) days only . I said (5) days only ! You had my truck for (2) weeks and are still keeping it for (2) more, I don't think this is very fair at all my truck is still under warranty until the end of November and at this rate I'll never go over the remaining (14000) km's . I need a vehicle !!! I don't care what it is just as long as it works until I get my truck fixed .I've been a good customer to you now for the past (7) yrs leasing (2) cars and then buying this truck . If you value your customers at all and want me to remain a good customer then Please help me resolve this situation by getting me a vehicle to drive until this truck is up and running or replace it with another truck of same year and value .
    Thank You

11. Jul 19, 2016 at 5:47 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Just a followup on my problem. The dealer had the truck for 4 weeks, the part they said they think is the problem is out in California and it will be 5 to 7 days before it arrives. They said they are not sure it will fix my problem and needed my signiture to order the part. The part is $484.00 and it is the transponder amplifer that sits behind the gauge cluster and sends the signal to the ECU behind the glove box. To make a long story short I picked the truck up on July 14th and so far it has started every time. Since then the truck has started 156 times, I am keeping a tally. Oh, the total cost was $1362.12 including parts. They kept telling me it as a electrical problem and I mentioned just change the wiring harness and they said you don't want to do that, the harness is around $5000 and requires a lot of work. Since I was paying I went with their best guess. My problem started about 10 weeks ago and during that 10 weeks the truck was in the garage 8 weeks between my mechanic's garage, my friends shop and the dealer. 2 times the truck was towed to the garage. I hope my nightmare is over. Good luck with yours. I was lucky in a way I did not need any rental cars during this whole time.
    1 think I learned about dealers, I had dealt with 2 dealers, they are great if you tell them what you need (brakes, belts,etc.) If they have to diagnose a problem then good luck.

12. Jul 19, 2016 at 6:22 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    The other thing I learned about dealers, if they cannot solve the problem and you have any after market parts installed that is their way out. Must me the aftermarket item, need to disconnect or remove from the vehicle.
    Of course that takes time and money they charge. When I got my truck back, I had to plug in the seat heaters, the climate control likes and 4X4 switch was not working. The 4X4 switch plug was not plugged in all the way and the climate control had a broken wire. I got those all working then moved on to the radio. The bezel around the radio was not fitting so when I took the bezel off I found they only installed 1 of the 4 bolts to hold the radio in place. Now the bezel fits the way it should. Oh, I'm not counting the interior I had to clean after the truck sat in the shop for 4 weeks with the windows down.

13. Jul 19, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I wish you guys the best.

I just have to reiterate that I am thankful that I do not have a chip in my key.

14. Jul 19, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Very true, even if its a TRD 'aftermarket' part they'll still use that. I had a P0171 code that my local Toyota dealership couldn't figure out. Couldn't find any leaks, replaced the MAF, plugs and wires, etc. Code still persisted. After about a week of trying they eventually told me it must be my TRD supercharger and I should consider taking it off if I wanted the code to go away. That was all they would offer me at that point. I was so pissed.

Took it to another dealer and they found a cap on the back of the supercharger had come off, creating a vacuum leak. Capped it, code gone and I was good to go.

15. Jul 22, 2016 at 9:34 AM
    Larrydsmithh

Larrydsmithh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magenta Grey

16. Jul 22, 2016 at 9:42 AM
    Larrydsmithh

Larrydsmithh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magenta Grey
    Hey TDR Larry is me Larry with a update . So I get the truck to Touota and they are determined it's the harness . Bad connections going into the fuse box . So they get a new one from California . Turns out this one gets damaged in transit . Now I'm pissed 3 weeks later . They order a new one again and it's here in 4 days the way it should have been in the first place . Now it's installed and working good . I'm gonna keep a log as well when starting it .

17. Jul 22, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Good Luck. I hope that fixes your problem. So far so good for me. The truck is still starting. I'm still sorting out the after market items. Only have a couple more to fix. Talked to Muth about the mirrors and they said the problem with no heat to the mirrors is probably the heater mod so they replaced it under warrenty for me. That was nice of them since they are 8 years old.

Larrydsmithh[OP] likes this.
  18. Jul 22, 2016 at 3:19 PM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Bonus points if you update the first post in your original thread with the timeline of events as they evolve.

19. Jul 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    this needs to be posted in the first world problems thread

20. Jul 22, 2016 at 7:20 PM
    Larrydsmithh

Larrydsmithh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magenta Grey
    What is the first world problems thread ?

Products Discussed in

To Top