1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacomarin’s Chubby Unicorn Build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by tacomarin, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Sep 6, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin [OP] ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Thanks for the compliments! This truck has been a lot of fun to build up and has been even more fun to get out and explore with. I know Access Mfg have distributors so it may be possible to get a Tradesman down to you if you wanted. I do really think they are the best shell out there, especially if you’re hard on your gear. They use thicker gauge aluminum than ARE, have an option to get reinforced corners (recommended for off road use), and have the burliest hinges around.

Anyway, to respond to your questions, it’s hard to say how big of a gas hit I took because I put a prinsu rack on the day after I bought it and the tradesman on 2 weeks after that. Then we got new tires about 2 weeks after that. I can tell you that I get about 16 mpg unloaded right now. It’s not great. However I have my 5k service next week and will have them do the new transmission TSB then as well. I have heard people getting improved MPG after 5k and the tune so maybe we will get 17 mpg!:rolleyes:

The tires ride well and aren’t too stiff to me. I run them around 32-34 psi which helps a lot. I haven’t done a full on chalk test yet but need to. My biggest complaint with the tires is that they just love pulling right. If you get these tires, get a lifetime alignment because you will be trying to dial that in. There is a whole thread on it but basically you need to run 1-1.5 degrees of cross caster with your passenger side more positive than your driver side. Once I did that it drives pretty darn straight. I have heard the STT pros do not have that problem.

I would also strongly consider waiting to buy tires until you figure out if you are going to lift it or not. We were originally not planning on lifting so I went with 265/75/16. However after I finished the bed platform build it was sagging so bad in the back I had to do something. So I figured if I was going to muck around with the suspension I might as well just lift it. Well now it looks okay with these tires, but would look better in my opinion with 285’s. I’m still happy with the tires for now, but I’ll go up in size for sure with the next set.

Sorry for the novel, hope that all helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

2. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    Cwopinger

Cwopinger Random guy who shows up in your threads

Member:
    First Name:
    Blevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Tacoma OR DCLB
    ARE MX, mud flaps, radio knobs, floor mats
    Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll check into Access Mfg distributors to see if a Tradesman is feasible. That's a little disappointing you took that much of a hit on the gas mileage, hopefully the TSB will get some back for you. I'm really hoping to keep it in the 18-20 mpg range, but realize that may not be realistic. Good info on the tires. I want to upgrade to a better AT tire than the stock rubber but I'm not committed to the ST Maxx. Ill keep looking at my options there and keep the future suspension mods in mind. I know somewhere down the road I'll upgrade shocks but I'm not set on a big lift. Thanks again.

3. Sep 7, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Yeah I'd be curious to know how big of a hit I actually took. The one drive I did without any mods I was in the 17 mpg range with mostly freeway driving. I don't have much of a lead foot but do usually keep it around 70-75 mph. In our other car I generally get better than factory rated mpg so I don't think it's really me. Around town the mileage is truly awful - around 13-14 mpg. I think my biggest problem is the extra weight, and less the aero dynamics.

People seem to love the Falken Wildpeaks and the price is hard to beat. I went with the Coopers largely because they also had really positive reviews and are made in the US. I also prefer the looks of them over the Wildpeaks.

Cwopinger[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 8, 2018 at 10:04 PM
    NonTraditional

NonTraditional upTOP overland Social Media/Marketing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    NOLA, LA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    This is a prime build, doing the same with my shortbed. Hopefully it won't be to tight.

tacomarin[OP] likes this.
  5. Nov 1, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Some little updates. Nothing major going on. Added a Mobtown Steel Tailgate Panel and upgraded hardware a while back. The whole motivation for that was to put a strap on it to make it easier to close from the inside. It's a sweet product but definitely adds a bunch of weight. Hopefully the soft-drop damper will hold up with it.
    IMG_4244.jpg
    Also added a Rhino Rack Batwing awning a while back. This is another nice product but I've only used it once so far. We got it for winter weather mostly to keep rain off of us so we'll see how that works this winter.
    IMG_4063.jpg
    I recently put on a Dashboard Multi Mount which is one of my favorite products there is for these trucks. And even more so because it's a side-project for a guy on TW. Really excited to use this. Will probably be getting a radio mount too for multi-rig trips.
    IMG_4708.jpg IMG_4715.jpg

GottaTacoma likes this.
  6. Nov 26, 2018 at 5:23 AM
    Onemorodeo

Onemorodeo Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC SoCal
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 dclb TRD Sport 4wd Cement
    Really love what you've done to your Tacoma, thanks for sharing! I too have a cement dclb that I'm looking to build on. I look forward to following your thread.

7. Nov 28, 2018 at 2:45 PM
    ccallen

ccallen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Missoula Mt.
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma TRD Off Road BBP
    SCS SR8's 17" TRD Adventure Edition
    DUDE Great freaking build man! Its everything I want my truck to be. I had to compromise and buy a short bed, otherwise we could be twins (minus color) I actually love the Cement too. Great looking rig!

8. Nov 28, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Many thanks! More in the works. Black Friday was good to me! :thumbsup:

9. Nov 28, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    ccallen

ccallen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Missoula Mt.
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma TRD Off Road BBP
    SCS SR8's 17" TRD Adventure Edition
    Thats great! I had to avoid the black friday, big trip to mexico in January took priority..

10. Nov 29, 2018 at 6:29 AM
    RangerComa

RangerComa 58008

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Marin, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB
    list is growing fast
    It's been a while amigo. How was your Holidays trip up North? Curious to see what's next on your unicorn, black friday was calling me too.

Snow is falling, sparking up that convo we started a couple of months back, want to try and hook into a snow run?

ruffridha9 likes this.
  11. Dec 5, 2018 at 12:27 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Yo man, don't know how I missed it. Black Friday deals were good to me. Got a bunch of lighting, sliders, and skids. :woot: Hoping to get those all installed this weekend. If you're around at all maybe we can grab a beer Sunday?

Definitely should do a snow run. Probably going to be January at this point given other commitments though. :eek:

12. Dec 5, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    RangerComa

RangerComa 58008

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Marin, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB
    list is growing fast
    Nice man! You got the sliders and skids with no lead time?

I'm down for a beer on Sunday if I can figure out how to get out of work. :homer:

13. Dec 6, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Well short lead times at least. Got them both before the black Friday sales started but with the black Friday discounts, so the orders went in before the big rush. You could always try just not showing up for work... :D

I'm around all Sunday so let me know if you find some time!

RangerComa[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    Toynado

Toynado Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    I’m in for a snow run in Jan :thumbsup:

15. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    ruffridha9

ruffridha9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma base
    stock ish

Did someone say snow run?

Great truck Steve, I’ve been admiring your build throughout the day while at work

tacomarin[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Dec 6, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    RangerComa

RangerComa 58008

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Marin, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB
    list is growing fast
    If it's truly the thought that counts. If I have beers with you, but think about work, can I still get paid?

17. Dec 6, 2018 at 9:49 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Looks like this is going to have to happen! Thanks for the compliments. More stuff to put on this weekend. I’m going to be busy!!

2597AC4C-517E-4F8C-847B-8F4FF20FD6B3.jpg 21AC7E26-4003-4AF5-862B-ED976EC2B6D7.jpg

And I still need to finish wiring these up!
    B587049D-F587-4A02-A25B-2100CBEDF4B1.jpg

GottaTacoma, RangerComa and Toynado like this.
  18. Dec 6, 2018 at 9:50 PM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    It’s worth a shot!

RangerComa[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Dec 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Maybe I missed it, but whose sliders are those?

20. Dec 7, 2018 at 10:35 AM
    tacomarin

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Caliraised's step sliders (0 degree)

GottaTacoma and Sub_Par[QUOTED] like this.
To Top