1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tail running and license plate lights out but turn signals and brake lights work. No fuse is blown.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Herschel, May 15, 2024.

1. May 15, 2024 at 1:14 AM
    Herschel

Herschel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gold Tacoma, 3.4L V6, Double Cab
    Relentless Fab Front Bumper Relentless Fab Rear Bumper/Swing Out Tire Carrier RCI Engine + Transmission Skid Plates RCI LCA Skids SCS Ray-10 Gunmetal 16" Wheels BFGoodrich Ko2 (285-75-R16) Prinsu Cab + Topper Rack Snugtop Topper MBRP High Clearance Exhaust CVT Hardshell RTT Bilstein 5100 OME 881 Coilover Springs OME Dakar Rear Leaf Springs Engine Replaced at 230,000 Miles (New engine had 91,000 at time of replacement) Rebuilt Transmission
    I’m in a predicament. Recently my tail running lights have gone out. My signals and brake lights still work. I’ve checked each fuse and they are all fine. The bulbs are all new. I’m thinking there is some wiring issue or water damage.

If one connector gets damaged does that short out the rest of the line, wouldn’t a fuse be blown though?

Anyone else have this issue where the fuses looked fine? Where did you find and solve the issue?

2. May 15, 2024 at 2:18 AM
    rustyfromskowhegan

rustyfromskowhegan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4
    Do you have aftermarket trailer light wiring? I had issues on my first gen with the internals of the aftermarket trailer t-connector melting and giving me all kinds of issues with turn signals, lights, etc.

3. May 15, 2024 at 7:59 AM
    Herschel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Relentless Fab Front Bumper Relentless Fab Rear Bumper/Swing Out Tire Carrier RCI Engine + Transmission Skid Plates RCI LCA Skids SCS Ray-10 Gunmetal 16" Wheels BFGoodrich Ko2 (285-75-R16) Prinsu Cab + Topper Rack Snugtop Topper MBRP High Clearance Exhaust CVT Hardshell RTT Bilstein 5100 OME 881 Coilover Springs OME Dakar Rear Leaf Springs Engine Replaced at 230,000 Miles (New engine had 91,000 at time of replacement) Rebuilt Transmission
    I used to but tried taking all unnecessary wires out. I may have missed some though. Where would something like that connect to at the source?

4. May 15, 2024 at 8:41 AM
    rustyfromskowhegan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4
    On my truck it was connected at the tail lights, those wires ran to a little control box that you secured under the truck, then the 4 pole flat plug ran to the hitch. My issue was the connections in the little control box failed. The easiest way to troubleshoot was to unplug the trailer wiring harness from the tail light and see if it fixed the issue. In my case it did.

factory trailer wiring is not as simple I believe as it would be running up to the dash and be tied into the flasher, fuse & relay box, etc.

5. May 15, 2024 at 9:46 AM
    Herschel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Okay so I pulled this out of the interior fuse box. Definitely doesn’t look OEM and was connected to a wire that went nowhere. Nothing changed after removing it. I’m trying to remove every and all trailer wiring because I’m not going ever going to tow anything. When installing trailer harnesses do you splice wires with the tail lights? Wondering if there’s some faulty wiring because of that.image.jpg image.jpg

6. May 15, 2024 at 10:51 AM
    rustyfromskowhegan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4
    Doesn’t look like an OEM relay and while no way to know for sure what it’s from, probably some kind of aftermarket light or something.

When I’ve installed trailer light wiring (non-oem) it’s been plug and play except for running a ground wire. I’ve never had to splice into a harness, that doesn’t mean someone didn’t.

Products Discussed in

To Top