1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate Cap Review!

Discussion in 'KB Voodoo Fabrications' started by hobiecat111629, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Aug 3, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    hobiecat111629

hobiecat111629 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab
    I know that @KB Voodoo has had a couple of haters after bad batch of powder coat, but i really liked the design and went ahead and ordered one a couple months ago (after backing the truck into a parked object and turning my tailgate into a sheet metal taco).

I swapped a couple of emails with Chad the day the truck went into the body shop and had my replacement cap three days later to install when I picked the truck up. The new smooth powder coat matches my base model bumper VERY well. He's not lying when he says to get the gasket material as high as possible. I thought I had it high enough, but it just wasn't. I have just a tiny bit sticking out, but I'm not going to worry about it.

IMG_0655.jpg

Hands down, whatever shop that Chad is currently using for his powder coat seems to know their stuff. I've had it on the truck since May and haven't gone easy on it. I've abused it with firewood, sailing gear, paddle boards, bikes, and coolers and the powder coat and it's holding up great!

IMG_0971.jpg

It's handled the weight of our paddle boards like a champ, where the OEM plastic one was getting pretty wobbly before. The pool noodle is just there to protect the boards.

IMG_0891.jpg

I had issues with my tonneau cover sealing, so I used some automotive adhesive and 1/4" delrin bar to make a top plate. This is the stuff that they use to hold badges on, so it's not going anywhere.

IMG_0970.jpg

The only issue that I've had is that it seems to keep banging one of the bed bolts on the left side of the truck and that's caused a little dent. Honestly, this is probably because I didn't center it well enough putting it on.

IMG_0972.jpg

In summary, after almost 3 months, I'm very happy with the quality and the price is about the same as the OEM plastic one and recommend it as a good upgrade for when your plastic one finally breaks.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    KB Voodoo likes this.
  2. Aug 8, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    slinkskees

slinkskees Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Double Cab Tacoma
    How large are your paddle boards? I just bought a 10’6” one. I don’t have a rack installed so I purchased a removable soft roof racks, but I felt very uneasy driving down the freeway (at 40 mph). Someone suggested I transport it in my truck’s bed, but I’m worried it will stick out far.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  3. Aug 9, 2018 at 5:51 AM
    hobiecat111629

hobiecat111629 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab
    My wife's is 9' and mine is 10'. They seemed pretty solid at 65 mph with the tips tucked under my tonneu and a strap over the back. I found the tailgate was leaving indentations in the bottom of the boards, so I put the pool noodle under.

I've got a 6' bed, so that only leaves me with 4' hanging over the tailgate.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  4. Aug 9, 2018 at 6:03 AM
    slinkskees

slinkskees Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Double Cab Tacoma
    I’ll try that advice! I know some people suggest racks...but they’re so expensive

Products Discussed in

To Top