1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate LED Intstal Mod

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Marc529, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Aug 16, 2016 at 10:52 AM
    Marc529

Marc529 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I have been looking at the tailgate LED strips but the 2016 Tacoma has the spare tire crank access right in the middle of the track where the LED strip has to go.

The fix is to break the strip. I used http://www.ebay.com/itm/122046852715 which cost $25.

This product was already cut in the middle and soldered together by the factory. I carefully stripped back the silicone seal and unsoldered the halves. Added some fine black wire and taped down the assembly. So here is a picture. I plan to rework it as it came out a little messy.

It comes with a trailer plug but I decided to hard wire it which was not hard to do. Under the bumper you will see the back of the trailer plug, just splice into the wires. Here is the color code for the vehicle side, heavy White with stripe is ground, Green is running lights, the center fine wire White is back up, Blue right, Purple left.

So here is more info on the LED strip. The strip has 2 sides that are attached in the middle so they can separate power for left and right signaling. You must add the wires to make the space in the middle. In the close up you may see 5 connections but only 4 are used. You must use a fine soldering iron and fine flexible wire. Lay it out on the bench to do your soldering and be very careful not to over heat the copper pad or to pull on the wires when moving it to the truck.

One more option!! Since these are cheap, $25 you could buy 2 and break the strip in the middle and install both wired halves. This way you do not need to extend wires. You would need to do some wire splicing between the sides but it would be a very clean look.

20160816_103832.jpg

Here we go all done, head light on daytime. Very cool at night.20160816_103649.jpg

PS: Did you notice the Black TACOMA vinyl letters?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    MoQS likes this.
  2. Aug 16, 2016 at 10:53 AM
    Tylandus

Tylandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner SR5 Premium Superwhite
    Interesting! And I like the black lettering. I'd like to convert all my badging from chrome to black.

3. Aug 16, 2016 at 11:10 AM
    MoQS

MoQS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Merel
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    MGM OR DCSB
    Very nice mod OP!
    Do you have any more pics of the install?
    TIA

4. Aug 16, 2016 at 11:17 AM
    Marc529

Member:
    Sorry no more pictures I forgot to take one before I started.
    So here is more info on the LED strip. The strip has 2 sides that are attached in the middle so they can separate power for left and right signaling. You must add the wires to make the space in the middle. In the close up you may see 5 connections but only 4 are used. You must use a fine soldering iron and fine flexible wire. Lay it out on the bench to do your soldering and be very careful not to over heat the copper pad or to pull on the wires when moving it to the truck.

5. Aug 16, 2016 at 11:25 AM
    MoQS

MoQS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Merel
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    MGM OR DCSB
    Thanks @Marc529.
    Did these come with instructions on how to connect them?
    I understand in Missouri that one can not have the flashing turn signal part of these. All of the other functions would be fine.

6. Aug 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM
    Marc529

Member:
    The strip comes as one piece in a molded silicone sleeve. There is no gap. The Mod is to make a gap so it does not cover the access port for the spare tire crank.
    If you do not want the turn signals to flash, don't hook up those wires.

7. Aug 16, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    Marc529

Member:
    One more option!! Since these are cheap, $25 you could buy 2 and break the strip in the middle and install both wired halves. This way you do not need to extend wires. You would need to do some wire splicing between the sides but it would be a very clean look.

8. Aug 16, 2016 at 11:45 AM
    MoQS

MoQS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Merel
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    MGM OR DCSB
    Thank You!

Products Discussed in

To Top