1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate lock from the inside of the bed?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kernel1956, May 24, 2010.

1. May 24, 2010 at 3:08 AM
    kernel1956

kernel1956 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    Jason Cap
    Not necessarily a lock but something that prevents the tailgate from being opened. I have a cap with key locks on the cap door but since there is no tailgate lock, you can easily force on the tailgate handle to open even if the camper door is locked.

I know there is a Pop & Lock but I'm thinking that once the camper top is unlocked and opened, this solution would simply be to reach over the tailgate and unlatch or un-hasp something that prevents the tailgate from opening.

I've done a bunch of searches and browses but all the hits for tailgate locking are for Pop & Lock.

Anyone know of an add on or solution for "locking" the tailgate from the inside of the bed?

Many thanks on advance.

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    Steig

Steig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    No idea where to get something like this. But this is a great idea instead of a pop & lock if you have a locking tonneau cover or cap.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    There are a couple of power locks for the tailgate. Any one of those would be inaccessable by reaching into the bed.

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Electric tailgate lock. Got one, works great.

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    I made mine, its electronic and shoots pins into the frame to lock the gate. Ill have the pictures and will get around to a write up some day.

6. Jul 24, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    Maybe try bolting an eye bolt on the talgate at the top, and hook it to the little d ring on the bed with a cable of sorts?

7. Jul 24, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
  8. Jul 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a dynolock electric tailgate lock and I love it. it unlocks and locks with the key fob.

Products Discussed in

To Top