1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate Locks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kevinztaco, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Mar 23, 2017 at 5:41 AM
    nevenelestate

nevenelestate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma V6 4X4 SR5
    Stock
    I installed my PL8540 powered lock in January of 2014, and had no issues till last weekend. I have an Access Limited cover and had my bed loaded up with power tools to do some work at my in-laws' house. When I got there I went to open the tailgate and the latch release lever was a little strange on the first pull, and didn't release, so I tried again. There was a cracking noise, followed by the lever being completely free moving. The inside lever that actually releases the latches snapped off. Luckily I was able to get to the release from the Access cover and get my tools out. I also figured out a few days later, wasn't in a huge rush at that point, that if you can pry up the top cap on the tailgate, you can manually push down on the metal release lever to open the tailgate. When i got it opened I took the inside cover off and found the piece that had broken.

[​IMG]

I contacted P&L customer service and they said that is would be covered under their one year warr. however I was 2 years outside of that. They did however help me by letting me know that I can get the PL5400 and just swap over the lever mechanism, instead of needing to get a whole new powered unit. The customer service person, Pam, was extrememly helpful! And I have the PL5400 on order to get my latch fixed.

To Top