1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tailgate project

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by red06toy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Jan 2, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    red06toy

red06toy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    been a while since ive been on, been busy with tree work and snow, to put it mildly Ive been working the hell out of the truck. Ive had it loaded with 5ft white oak logs, snowblowers driving up steep hills in deep snow, and even used it to pull a stump out (these pics soon). In the process it got a little banged up. While unloading the logs I had the truck backed up close to the chainlink fence so I could toss the oak trunks I had (weighed a ton!)into the yard. The fence is on a hill, so when I pushed the cluch it rolled a bit before going forward. When I got it into the driveway and went to close the gate I noticed the pass. side corner was peeled up and inch! It got caught on the fence and even broke the metal. I was a little disapointed, I knew the gate were flimsy, but I was shocked. anyway I took all the plastick off banged the corner back, then jb welded it, sanded it and painted it. looks pretty good for a hack like me! While I had it pulled apart i did my own tailgate tsb. I screwed 1" steel strips over the gaps (what a difference!) heres the pics... any questions ask :)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    the damage
    [​IMG]
    the fix
    [​IMG]
    These are the metal strips I added (not bolted in this pic) as you can see there is not alot of support there, I cant believe i never broke mine.
    The gate looks almost un-noticeable where i fixed it. This weekend i had a 1980 toro 8-26 snowblower (over 300lbs) up and down on it on ramps and it didnt budge. Im very happy. here are the materials and cost:
    touch up paint: $12
    4'x1'' steel: $7
    1 box 3/8ths screws $8
    total: $27

2. Jan 2, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Nice job on the tailgate, I am gonna have to look into adding some sort of support on mine.
    Been lucky so far.

3. Jan 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    Now that ive seen how flimsy/un-protected the stock tailgate is.......
    I'm definitely gonna adding some supports!

4. Jan 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    blake1012

blake1012 Go Braves!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.
    8000k HID's, Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners, Rhino Lined bed, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart wheels, bull bar, step rails, Redline Tuning hood struts, low profile tool box
    way to go! Post up those pics of the taco in action :)

5. Jan 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    Did you cut the steel in 5 sections?
    Or is it One piece ran though or under the supports?

I would love to see some pics of the project completed!

A while back someone did some angle iron as well but can't remember how it was done.

6. Jan 3, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    red06toy

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    they are 5 pieces cut. 2 are around 7", 2 are 9'', and the one in the middle is 10''. its done the only thing you dont see in the pics are the screws holding it, (2 on each strip). its prob not as strong as angle iron but at the point where the strips would break, the cables would prob snap too.

7. Jan 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.

Do you think with them cut it will add much strength?

8. Jan 3, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    red06toy

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    yeah, it bolts them to the supports and really almost makes it one piece. it tightens the gate up. when my snowblower wheels were on the gate it would sag alot if the tires were not on the braces. now it doesnt budge, and that toro is an '80, all thick steel no plastic, well over 300lbs. its a cheap and easy fix. I wouldnt have wasted time doing it unless i was sure it was going to be structurelly sound and beneficial. Its both.:)

9. Jan 3, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:

Great!! I might do this soon (even though i have the TSB tailgate.)

10. Jan 4, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    red06toy

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    if you can take a pic. Id like to see what a tsb gate looks like

11. Oct 29, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    Pigeon

Pigeon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Eria, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab Long Bed
    My tailgate is sagging bad and getting worse, I want to fix it but I just can't see how this would stop it from sagging? Dose anyone know what the real tsb entails?

12. Oct 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    TSB is kind of sort of an added stiffener inside to help prevent bending. Honestly, when I had the inner cover ff my 2010 I realized even with a TSB tailgate it still needs help.

There have been topics where you could buy a sheet metal (heavy gage) that lines the entire inside flat panel area and adds a very rugged upper edge to stiffen it up.

PK

Products Discussed in

To Top