1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate theft deterrent necessary with tonneau?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Dunhill965, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Dec 5, 2020 at 8:06 PM
    Dunhill965

Dunhill965 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greetings,

I’ve done some research on tailgate anti-theft locks. There are many alternatives out there, but the beat-the-system part of me likes the $1.50 MacGyver hose clamp idea. Does anyone know if there is a way to customize the screw head without using JB Weld or if there are such things as hose clamps with unconventional screws?

I also have a few questions.

First, is this mod mostly necessary for guys that spend all day on job sites or that constantly use their tailgates? Pros can steal anything but doesnt the factory lock at least stop the lazy opportunists?
    Second, I’m getting a threefold hard cover for my truck bed; I’m wondering if that makes this theft deterrent device unnecessary anyway.
    Third, I still have new buyer syndrome; I’m not ready to even chance scratching the t40 screws If I do the hoseclamp I will probably spay the whole hose clamp down with a few coats instant rubber (I know, I know, don’t say it).

Finally, should I purchase lock nuts for my factory wheels, or are the pros just interested in stealing the custom jobs?

Thanks—

Black DOG Lila likes this.
  2. Dec 5, 2020 at 8:11 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW.
    The tri fold cover will help,
    The hose clamp or any other one out there really just slows the stealing process down.
    Nothing is fool proof, most of the time they are stolen when its parked in your driveway or out front. It's been the rare one being stolen while going into home depot or the like.

3. Dec 6, 2020 at 5:40 AM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
    Welcome to TacomaWorld

tcjacado and Dunhill965[OP] like this.
  4. Dec 6, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass aspiring well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    2011 Dbl LB and Dunhill965[OP] like this.
  5. Dec 6, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    My approach -

• Hose clamp for just a little peace of mind. It will deter the casual/spontaneous thief and slow down a serious one.
    • A tailgate lock to lock it closed. It's a cheap lock, of course, but again it will slow anyone down.
    • A roll-up tonneau keeps everything out of sight. In my 7 years of ownership no one's ever messed with stuff in the bed, partly because:
    – I just stay out of sketchy ares whenever possible
    – When in doubt I always park in a well it area, close enough to other vehicles that someone would see a thief messing with the truck. I don't back into spaces where I'd be giving a thief cover to do his malfeasance.
    – If I am in a questionable area I'll roll up the tonneau and leave the bed empty and exposed so as to save a creep the trouble of breaking or cutting into it to see if there's anything of value in there. Whenever possible I more stuff into the cab and lock it up. It takes 10 seconds to move a toolbox or sleeping bag or whatever into the cab. And as for big stuff, I realize that it's pretty unlikely that someone's going to want to take the time and effort to steal 30 bags of mulch, a sheet of plywood or whatever other big thing I might have back there. Thieves are lazy and aren't likely to steal things they don't need, can't easily handle or can't quickly sell, so I don't get too paranoid about some things.

In short, common sense is the best approach. Don't leave anything to chance, and luck favors the prepared.

Dunhill965[OP] and doublethebass like this.
  6. Dec 6, 2020 at 6:01 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    I have tail gate clamps, locking tail gate, and locking bed cover. This keeps honest people honest and makes it too much trouble for the opportunitst.

Dunhill965[OP] and BuddyS like this.
  7. Dec 6, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    Stxxx

Stxxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD
  8. Dec 6, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    Dunhill965

Member:
  9. Dec 6, 2020 at 10:59 PM
    Dunhill965

Member:
    Maybe Im missing something; if I can buy Turn key clamps can’t anybody, and just use the same head key to loosen mine...or are the turn keys unique to each head clamp?

10. Jun 28, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    2011 Dbl LB

2011 Dbl LB Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Dbl Cab Longbed

Products Discussed in

To Top