1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving a Tacoma around the world

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Round the world, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:00 PM
    KkelX4

KkelX4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    RTT Rack

Keep the replies on the thread it's good for everyone that way everyone can learn.

Stock suspension will be fine for that short of a trip - it may be done shortly after though if you do any flexing with the weight on

Shellshock likes this.
  2. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    Round the world

Round the world [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home's our Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma AC LB TRD Sport MT
    flatbed with 4WC Fleet with extensive mods
    Beautiful. Was trying to ignore the one persons comments.

DAS Taco and KkelX4 like this.
  3. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    KkelX4

KkelX4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    RTT Rack
    As far as weight at height off road, I ran my ARB tent (at 175lbs) above the cab height and didn't have any problems in an Off-road ( which has much softer suspension). It definitely leaned more into the corners and you had to watch the side slopes but if my bed was loaded as well it wasn't too noticeable.

Too sum up, if the weight was loaded heavier at the bottom, the weight up top was less noticeable and more balanced overall- as you would expect.

4. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:18 PM
    Round the world

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home's our Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    So you bailed out of an RTT.
    Do you have the toilet and shower? If so, how well do they work?
    What do you think of the sink and cooktop? Would they last?
    Where did you get the boxes for under your flatbed?

Thanks man!

5. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:25 PM
    JCOOR

JCOOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Burglar
    What’s the plans for water storage? I assume the campers you’re looking at have tanks but with a shower/toilet and drinking water for two you will need a decent sized tank. Are you planning any water filtration for areas without reliable drinking water?

6. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:30 PM
    Round the world

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home's our Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    Both of the campers, the XP camper V2 and the FWC Fleet have roughly a 20 gallon water tank. We will need to add a two stage water filtration system. I’m leaning towards a chlorine injection system and then a chlorine filter to remove it. Pending upon how bad/muddy the water is we may have to put a 10 micron sediment filter

I’m planning that my wife will be using most of the water in the shower, what can you do...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:34 PM
    Round the world

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home's our Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    Definitely. Driving in Mexico dealing with their driving habits and the nasty police was up there as some of the worst driving I’ve ever seen in the world, but then I’ve only driven in about 14 countries.

8. Jan 16, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    pembol

pembol Member

Member:
    Yes I did the suspension work before picking up the camper. It is much easier to do the rear work without the bed on the truck. FWC typically has a 3-6 month lead time on their campers and XP is even longer, so you will have plenty of time between when you place your order to when you need to pick it up to get everything set up for it. I added my own tool boxes, not the ones the Ute Bed sells. I have aluminium tool boxes behind the wheels on both sides (light stuff only), a pull out stove/table in front of the wheels on the passenger side and a jerry cans in front of the wheels on the drivers side.

The flat bed campers allow most of the heavy stuff (water, propane, fridge) to be mounted at floor level as opposed to above the bed rails with a slide in camper, so top heavy is not such an issue. It is just heavy that is an issue.

It sounds like your are pretty set on this idea - but I really think you should reconsider. I have had my tacoma/flatbed set up for almost 3 years, and love it for traveling around western NA, but would never consider taking it on the trip you are planning. In addition to the major weight issue and moisture issue (which will be way worse if you are planning on showering inside) there is also the issue of a pop-top. You cannot sleep two people without popping the top. The dinette turns into a bed, but it is only 30" wide, so it can only sleep one without the top popped. Very importantly, there is no way to 'stealth camp' in this system. Even with the best laid plans, I guarantee you that you will end up needing to sleep behind a gas station in Guatemala, or in the gar in Kedougou when a road is closed or you get distracted by something cool en route. With the pop top, there is no way to be subtle about this and you will attract all sorts of attention that you don't want, and you can't move on without getting out of the camper and packing it up.

Think about it this way, would you be comfortable sleeping in a pop top in a walmart parking lot in what ever is the sketchiest neighborhood near you? Chances are nothing bad would actually happen, but you would likely sleep so much better in a hard sided sprinter van where you can just hop in the drivers seat and drive away if things get uncomfortable.

9. Jan 16, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    Airmain

Airmain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jes
    Middle of Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off road
    If your using CB only make sure to review other countries laws and regs while i was in germany we weren't allowed to have a cb radio. Its been like 7 years since I was last in germany.

10. Jan 16, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    aidenbeck

aidenbeck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aiden
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma
    Main Line Overland Four Wheel Camper flatbed build @searchingforseagulls on Instagram
    I know you already have your truck, just throwing out a couple interesting options and some people of the same mindset (there are many).

This is in Portland right now and very cool (just needs a safari wrap):
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portlandwd-isuzu-turbo-diesel-camper/6783002951.html

This is in Nevada and is equally awesome, but seems to large for you though:
    https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/rvs/d/pahrump-ford-4x4-motorhome-e350/6793763161.html

These guys and doing the Pan America Hwy in a custom pop-top/vanagan:
    @noplannoproblema Instagram
    @thebusandus Instagram

Lots of people travel the world in petrol pop-top Vanagans so I think it's totally doable with with a pop-top camper:
    https://www.chron.com/life/travel/a...lobe-in-30-year-old-VW-camper-van-5888581.php

Another couple living in their Four Wheel Camper full time:
    https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/adventures/full-time-in-a-four-wheel-camper/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Round the world[OP] likes this.
  11. Jan 16, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    pembol

pembol Member

Member:
    You definitely can do it in a pop-top, and lots of people do. But a big difference between a Vanagon Westy and a FWC is that you can sleep in a Westy with the top down and you can stealth camp and drive off without getting out of the camper.

If you are just starting planning this trip, the question shouldn't be what you can do it in (the answer to that is just about anything), but what would be best to do it in.

12. Jan 16, 2019 at 12:31 PM
    Round the world

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home's our Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    We are planning on visiting four wheel camper and XP camper next month. They said that they are 3 to 6 months out of according to them right now, thanks though. I really like your idea of Jerry cans in front of the rear wheels.

We are definitely set on doing the trip. And I would say that we are pretty set on using a Tacoma, but I am willing to look at other ideas. Regarding using a pop up camper, the only other alternative would be a hard side which is I believe what it be too heavy and to have to hide a center of gravity. @aidenbeck sent I notice about in the Isuzu camper that is interesting. But these vehicles are so big, heavy, and ponderous. I’ve heard also that four wheel driving, since they are an addon, tends to beat up the other parts of the rig. A 4*4 is a requirement for us. I’m sure it can be done in a four-wheel-drive sprinter van, I just wouldn’t feel confident in its ability, just my opinion.

You’re definitely right that you cannot “stealth” camp in a pop up and my wife and I are not going to sleep on the couch or floor. I haven’t found a hard sided pop-up yet (XP Camper V2) that is definitely worth it. Securitywise seems like if bad guys want to get us, they will anyway they can.

Lack of direct cab access is a real concern, four wheel camper has indicated that they could replace the front window with a pop out/slide. Still haven’t figured out how to get into the truck itself though as I am way too big for the trucks tiny sliding rear window. A company doesn’t make a pop in window but I need to see if I can mount it backwards so that it pops out.

Definitely think the moisture is going to be a problem, I’m planning on showering outside, maybe I convince her of that later in the trip.

Do you have the toilet and shower? If so, how well do they work?
    What do you think of the sink and cooktop? Would they last?
    How bad is the gas mileage?

Thanks!

Andy

13. Jan 16, 2019 at 12:50 PM
    Round the world

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home's our Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    That is Isuzu in Portland is close in a couple of ways. That was supposed to be a pun. But seriously it is a consideration. The 30-year-old camper van going around the world is too small and way too old. Simply amazing that they made it. And here I bought a 2019 Tacoma, to hopefully minimize breakdowns. I’m sure a lot of people told them that they were crazy doing that. @pembol said it well, It’s not can you do it, but what’s the best way to do it. Maybe @pembol, the use of a Tacoma going around the world is the equivalent of a 30-year-old camper van; not the best way.

Another reason that just came to mind regarding using the Tacoma. After 35 years of driving around in the woods in full-size pickups. I want something that is smaller, realizing a loaded-down taco is not a Porsche.

You all are providing me with good thoughts, thank you!

Time to get back to work...

14. Jan 16, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    aidenbeck

aidenbeck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aiden
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma
    Main Line Overland Four Wheel Camper flatbed build @searchingforseagulls on Instagram
  15. Jan 16, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    MikeyD.25

MikeyD.25 Well-Known Member

Member:
  16. Jan 16, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    02TRDXTRA

02TRDXTRA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island,NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR
    damn. my truck is sketchy with 600lbs of scrap metal on a 15 mile trip. Even my old first gen with deavers and donohoes was sketchy with the weight.

17. Jan 16, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    pembol

pembol Member

Member:
    We do not have the toilet or inside shower. We have the outside shower, but have really only used it a handful of times. The cooktop and sink are fine, generic Dometic stainless units and don't really have much to fail. I am more worried about the Atwood (ie RV quality) hot water heater and furnace and the other RV grade bits with electronics or moving parts like the screen door (broken one already), water pump etc. Gas mileage is between 13 - 15, better at lower speeds.

It seems that a Sprinter Van (either 4x4 or 2x4) is a pretty common choice for this sort of adventure. I know a couple of folks who have done the Alasksa to Tierra del Fuego run in these with few issues. There are a lot of upsides to the Sprinter, hard sided with access to the cab, a payload about 3 times higher (payload starts at ~4000lbs and goes up from there) than a Tacoma so can be fully outfitted with much larger water tanks, more comfortable living space and all the off-road farkle and still be way under GVWR. The Sprinter is also an actual world vehicle with parts and service available just about anywhere, better fuel economy and they are all over the place so you won't standout nearly as much. The only down side is slightly less 4x4 capability, all thought not bad, I just saw one on the White Rim trail in Canyonlands, which is certainly more technical than 99% of what you are likely to find. Remember most of the roads you will be driving, the locals will be driving in a Peugeot sedan or a Canter minibus. You can always rent a Landcruiser for those couple of really rough side trips you may want to do.

If you really are set on the Tacoma, the XP camper followed by the FWC flatbed are likely your best options. A hard sided on a Tacoma would be completely unmanageable in terms of payload, and wouldn't solve the camper to cockpit issue.

I am really not trying to rain on your parade here. I think you will have a great adventure, but the more research you do before hand the better your chances of pulling it off and the more fun you will have. Good luck!

18. Jan 16, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    I replied to this thread the first day or so Post #29 about you considering a wedge style camper due to weight concerns. I’ll give it another go today. Please check out the Go Fast Camper and the Vagabond Drifter (I linked both in Post 29) both of these will give you a enormous weight savings a ton of livability and a much simpler approach to your build.

I understand camping with the wife you need to make concessions but if you think you’re gonna travel around the world without pooping in a hole you dig with a shovel I’d really reconsider the trip lol... that’s the basics.

That said I DO have “toilet” in my GoFast it’s the foldable flat type that you put a bag in and dispose of it when you get a chance. It works FANTASTIC when it’s pouring rain and you just can’t make it outside. That said it’s almost never ever used because going outside is a much better idea. You could certainly buy a marine cassette toilet and keep that in the back and dump it in any RV station or even portapotti you see. Don’t want to be tied down looking for a dump station overseas.

As far as a shower. I do NOT have one however I’ve debated a few outdoor options. I believe Darche makes one as does this Kinsman https://www.kinsmenhardware.com/shower-room I’d go this route if I were concerned about it. Showering inside doesn’t seem like the greatest long term solution. Get body wipes ext, plan on showering once a week maybe... also reguarding a shower... the simplest solution for a shower is a 12v pump (boat bulge pump) with a hose and shower head dropped in a pot of warm water (or a solar shower bag if you can wait) onboard hot water is aweome but a huge waste and a weight penalty and complexity I wouldn’t add to a Tacoma.

As I said in my first post and many have said since keeping your build simple and light is a MUCH better option over a heavy complex build.

As far as “stealthing” if you have a long bed Taco and keep the Wedge style camper down you can definitely sleep “below the radar” so to speak and it will not look like a camper. My GoFast looks like a contractor top, which is just how I like it.

Very long story short OP I think your idea is AWESOME, I really hope you do it and have a blast. To be 100% honest if I were you I would get your truck set up how you want it, and spend 3 months traveling IN the United States. See how it goes. See what you like and don’t like and adjust. See what comfort level you and your wife have sleeping in a truck at a random truck stop or a Walmart Parking lot, than spend a few days out in a National Forrest alone, experiment and see how it goes while your close enough to drive back home.

What you’re talking is the trip of a lifetime and delaying it 6-12 months to do some traveling in the States and Working the bugs out seems not only prudent but nessasary. Heck why not drive the Dempster Highway, there’s so many things to see in this country where you can test all your gear first.

Again good luck also I don’t think I can link other forums on here but Expedition Portal is really a lot more geared to what you want to do than TW, those guys actually do the things you’re talking about. Not saying it’s a bad idea to get Taco advice here but I doubt any of us have driven around the world where as on Expo there’s more than a few who have or are doing it.

Spend the time, not just the money to make this trip a success. When you get back you’ll be amazed at how much your ideas of what you need have changed. Tons of YouTube channels to follow for full time living in a vehicle. I am fascinated by the idea but am still a slave to a job for now. Good luck my friend I will contine to follow along. Again my longest stint living in my truck is always about two weeks, it’s pretty easy to turn ferrel in just that short amount of time trust me lol... good luck!!!!

Happy_Camper, JCOOR and Skruf like this.
  19. Jan 16, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    Round the world

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home's our Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    @aidenbeck and @MikeyD.25 you guys are killing me or at least trying to absolutely blow the budget. I did Facebook them, we’ll see what they say. I would not be thrilled driving an RV around the world even that has the hood of a Tacoma.

But seriously what do you guys think of the weight of this thing? It must weigh at least a thousand pounds more than a pop up camper. Obviously they must be beefing up everything and I’d like to know what exactly.

And yes we will be testing it out in United States this summer. Worst case is we sell it and move to the next vehicle

I’d love to drive the Dempster highway, not sure my wife would love the bugs though. That is on my bucket list to do I was thinking of doing that when I’m a bit older and more feeble

DAS Taco and butters_ like this.
  20. Jan 16, 2019 at 8:34 PM
    Round the world

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home's our Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    I do appreciate the advice. Don’t worry we are not considering a hard top camper. I’m just not sure an XP camper is worth nearly double the price, but we’ll check them out. We’ll also check out earthcruiser in Bend, OR and even the habitat topper

Products Discussed in

To Top