1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taking non-members to scout meetings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jshsltr, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Mar 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    jshsltr

jshsltr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    What is your opinion?

My wife and I take our first grader to weekly scout meetings.

Our boys are friends with a 3rd grade female and she comes over fairly often and wants to go to the scout meetings with us about half the time.

I personally have no problem letting her go. But I feel a bit rude.

Here is the question.

Is it rude to the other members of our den? We take turns providing snacks and activities for the kids. It is not the other parents responsibility to provide these things for a non-member.

At the risk of sounding a bit sexist, it would be slightly different if the friend was a male and was going to the meetings as a potential recruit.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Mar 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've been outta scouting for a bit, but I would not make that a regular occurrence.
    Your son is there to develop a set of skills - social, mental, and physical - that doesn't really mesh well with having a friend hanging around.
    I would bring friends to meetings, but only as potential recruits and only for a couple meetings tops.

3. Mar 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    As an Eagle Scout and former ASM for my local Troop I agree.

4. Mar 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    Thank you for your responses. This is exactly what I was leaning toward. I dont have anything against the girl at all, and have told my wife before that she should not be going to our meetings.

I walked in the house this evening and she was here and my wife told me she was going. She had made the decision without me and already told the girl she could go.

5. Mar 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Take Jimmy Johnson, take Tommy Thompson, take my best friend Bo. Take anybody that you want as long as she don't go.

6. Mar 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    :laugh:

7. Mar 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Also an Eagle Scout here, and I agree with this statement as well. Building social skills is part of scouting, but it should take place in a fairly disciplined environment and with others who are working toward the same goals. Having a friend there who's not participating is a distraction.

8. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    Thank you all for helping me build my argument. I knew that just saying, "She can't go with us anymore", was not going to sit well with the wife if I did not give valid reasons.

Products Discussed in

To Top