1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taking out all my interior for a good detailing Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Sabre, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Feb 19, 2011 at 12:06 AM
    Sabre

Sabre [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Silverdale, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 F-150 FX4
    Hey,

Well i purchased the truck used in October and i just feel like it's still not mine just was to get a really good deep clean on all the plastics carpets seats, just really everywhere!!

i recently purchased subs and did sorta a half ass wiring job for temporary use but i really wanna run all the wires cleanly under the carpet to my driving seat so i thought when i do all this i will spend the time to get the cleaning done

what im interested in learning for this project so far is:

What would be a good way to clean all my floor carpets?

How can i go about cleaning my seats?

With all the plastics mainly dash and side door panels and center consol area any special things i should use for these or just a regular cleaning solution work?

im also going to be painting a few of the plastics in my car black to get a better look.

i was also thinking that i do have access to a portable machine carpet cleaner like what u rent at the grocery store or the ones u can buy at target would that be ok to use for carpets or even seats?

these are just some questions i keep asking myself a figured i should get some other peoples opinions and answers!! anything helps

let me hear what you think about this project or other things i should look into doing for my interior :rolleyes:

thanks

2. Feb 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    haha dont know.. never vacuum my truck but i'll be re-uppholstering with black leather heat seats soon. and i look foward to seeing other peoples ideas for cleaning interiors. mine could use a good cleaning

:popcorn:

3. Feb 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    Sabre

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Silverdale, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 F-150 FX4
    bump suggestions/ideas!!

4. Feb 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    tombiosis

tombiosis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    2016 Tacoma Access Cab, Super White, TRD Off Road package,//OEM Running Boards//TriFold2.0 Tonneau Cover//FJ Cruiser TRD SE Black TrailTeams replca wheels!
    the cleaning machine will work fine on the carpets and seats,,,but I wouldn't use it on the sport seats though...or be careful if you do.
    why not just get some wet okole's?
    :D

5. Feb 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Well as you mentioned, you can rent a steam cleaner at the store. But, BISSELL makes a nice PORTABLE unit that you can buy for the cost of one store rental. Check WalMart, they've got them on sale there. It's just a smaller version of what you're renting at the grocery store. They've got two versions, one that heats the water, and one that doesn't. Get the one that heats the water. HOT water makes all the difference.

Plus, you can use this on your carpet, and on your seats.

I had my own auto detailing business for years, and this is what I used, and it did me well. I'd highly recommend it.

As far as your door panels, etc... You can clean them with a mild soap solution. Simple green is ideal. But make sure to put some kind of treatment on them afterwards, as the soap can really dry out certain plastics, and leave a "whitish" residue.

6. Feb 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    DRM9

DRM9 Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access TRD
    worked at a Toyota dealership a million years ago-pre Bissell days. Anyway, when used Toyota's came via trade, interior's were pulled and all carpets came out. We mixed hot water, soap, AND DYE that matched the rug as best as possible and scrubbed em, vacuumed, and dried. The dye served to make the rug color uniform and consistent throughout (wiped out coffee stains, pets, sun spots, etc). Don't know if that is still done in today's world but sure worked in 70's and 80's pretty good.

7. Feb 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Yeah basically steam clean carpets and all the interior comes out pretty easily and mild soap and water will do well then get some sort of interior treatment like armorall to make it look nice and as far as painting certain plastics that's a pain in the ass, you can get plastic paint but they don't turn out well there is interior dye products for vinyl interor components but I don't know how to use those and I know a couple of members have had some success using plasti-dip but I wouldn't use that on a high traffic area like kick panels or the step panels since plastidip isn't permenant.. look it up

8. Feb 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    Sabre

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Silverdale, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 F-150 FX4

im thinking about it but there pricey so im gonna have to wait ><

yea we own a little carpet steam cleaner idk it its got hand tools

what kind of soap would i use the same you would use in house carpets

that's funny paint the carpet!

i was thinking about just using and spray can to hit a couple of places like the shifter a/c outlets and around the gauges

9. Feb 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    anrima

anrima Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 DC 6 Spd
    AFE Pro Dry S, Flowmaster
    So, I had to rip my entire interior out after I got mud in the cab. I've since put it back together and the interior looks better then the day I bought the truck. My recommendation is to strip the entire interior down to bare metal.

Lay the interior carpet out on a tarp outside, make sure you are doing this on a sunny/warm day. For the carpet cleaner get the upholstery attachment and the upholstery cleaner the mistake I initially made was I used the amount of soap recommended on the packaging and after doing this myself and talking with a couple of detailers make sure you use about an 1/3 of the recommended amount of soap. I started with the surface of the carpet and did approximately three passes on the carpet and then did two passes using just the vacuum to extract as much moisture as possible. After this I flipped the carpet and used the extractor on the underside of the carpet, this is where I got the most dirt out of the deadening pads and cushioning that lives under the carpet, it seems to be where everything seeps to. I did this two times and spot cleaned after that, then extracted as much moisture as I could. I then flipped the carpet and did the top one final time. I allowed the carpet to dry for approximately 6 hours before putting it back in the truck.

As far as seats go, it's far easier to get all the dirt out with the seats out of the truck. Make sure you keep a parts bucket for everything you pull out. Also while your out you might as well silicon seal the rubber gaskets underneath the carpet, that where my mud came in.

10. Feb 20, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    Sabre

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Silverdale, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 F-150 FX4
    thanks ill have to double check make sure i got access to hot water where im gonna do it

good information that's what im planning on doing is everything to bare metal and taking the time to clean each piece nicely to get a stock of the lot interior

and with seats just the same procdure as carpets hand tool warm water 1/3 soap and dry for long time

what gaskets u talking about siliconing?

11. Feb 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    For the plastic trim, dash and whatnot, I use 303 Aerospace, or whatever it is called, and you can find it at a marine store like West Marine. It has UV protection, but the main thing is it doesn't seem to leav a film, and it doesn't leave a gloss, it seems neutral and just very clean looking plastic.

I would like to know the best way of cleaning the Sport fabric as well, as I have some grease stains on one of the seats.

12. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    Sabre

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Silverdale, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 F-150 FX4

im gonna look into that stuff for the plastics a uv proctection would be nice to reduce fading or sun bleaching

yea the sport/offroad seats are tricky :confused:

13. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I would think of anything else you might install in the next two years (like an all in one h/u or whatever) and do it while you have it ripped apart. Make use of the time as best you can....maybe some sound deadening as well?

14. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    Sabre

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Silverdale, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 F-150 FX4

yea i was thinking about laying down some sound deadening but is dynomat the only stuff to use it's freaking pricey any other solutions for sound?

Products Discussed in

To Top