1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tampa Bay Area Tacomas BS Thread

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Taco No Baka, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Jul 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    is that gonna be for the first gen in your pic? what does that run you? i picked up a 1st gen about 2 months ago on the cheap since it needs paint. not sure i wanna sink the dough in it though since i miss my 2nd gen so much and want to go back up to one =(

2. Jul 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka [OP] Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Ayup, that's the one. It's gonna cost me about a grand for flat OD green, professionally shot with the minor dings in the bed rails and stuff corrected. Not having the door frames or anything done since the truck is black now and it should look okay. Would have cost me about the same at a different place to just have it re-shot in black. Since I hate black paint (outside of a trim color), I went with the OD green.

You mean you wanna go back down to a 2nd Gen? Whatever for?:der::wink:

3. Jul 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    well, i sold my 2nd gen because i got an offer i couldnt refuse, and then found a first gen for a price i couldnt pass up so i grabbed it. i just dont like the first as much. its to small, the interior is cheap as holy hell, the seats are a disgrace, the steering wheel makes me wanna cry, its not as powerful, doesnt look as good (imo). basically the only advantages i think the 1st gen has is the manual transfer case and assuming you wheel hard, the size is a little better for that. i dunno the 2nd gen just felt better built, tighter. dont get me wrong though, the 1st gen is still better than all the other crap out there

4. Jul 27, 2013 at 3:03 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    You forgot it weighs about a 1000 lbs less than a 2nd Gen and some of them come with manual locking hubs instead of that limiting ADD system that spins your front axles and spiders full time. I guess it's just a matter of what you're comfortable with. One of the reasons I like the 1st Gen better is because it's smaller, lighter, and more spartan. Of course, at the same time, mine is a little too spartan. The only comfort upgrade it has is A/C. It doesn't even have a trip odo, which oddly enough is something I actually miss. If it had full instrumentation with a tach and gauges and cruise control, I'd be a happy camper.

I also like the body lines of the 1st Gen better than the 2nd. I'm not a huge fan of the asymmetrical wheel wells that match the contour of the side windows. But if I were honest, I actually prefer the bodies of the early '90s p/us over the Tacoma.

Don't get me wrong, 2nd Gens can look and be badass (and they are probably more comfortable to ride in), I just think the 1st Gen hits more of my buttons.

5. Jul 27, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    hey i dont hate anyone for choosing the 1st gen. the small size just doesnt suit me. i like the midsize truck over the mini. then again, im 6'4" 250 (all muscle)

6. Jul 27, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that would do it. :D

I'm more Japanese guy sized at 5'6" 180 (mostly fat). I could see where a big guy would feel a little squeezed in a 1st gen or an older Hilux...especially if it was a reg cab.

BTW, I'm not Asian, just Asian-sized. :D

7. Jul 28, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
  8. Jul 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
  9. Jul 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    S'why I said early October. Although, that was more for our safety than anything else. Richloam is typically a dog hunting area so even during hunting season there's tons of vehicles running around all over the place. Those guys drive kinda crazy when they are chasing their dogs so it probably isn't the safest place in the world if you happen to be in the direction they are going.

Edit: yeah, I realize Oct 19 starts archery season so it's likely still-hunting with no dogs, but that's why I said Sept or early Oct to avoid hunting season all together.;)

Still, it's likely that there will be plenty of vehicles out there driving around scouting the area for when Dog season does start.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  10. Jul 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    Yeah you didn't have an exact date so I thought I'd throw that out there. The 19th is kinda early in the month.

11. Jul 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha, although anything after the 15th of the month is the later half of the month to me while before the 15th is early in the month. ;)

I do have to admit though, if you go during dog hunting season, it can be freakin' hilarious. Some of those guys are pretty much off the chain. You can overhear gems of dialogue like this:

(After the deer and the dogs have run by and two dog hunters nearly collide driving like lunatics) Dog hunter 1(falling out of his jeep): Did you see it?!?

Dog Hunter 2 (after nearly running to a huge ass pine tree): Yeah, I saw it!

Dog hunter 1: Did it have horns?!?

Dog hunter 2: Hell, I dunno! I didn't see it!

I was like :eek: :laughing::rofl:

Then I was able to do my good deed of the month when we found a dog that had been lost out there for three days and returned her to her owner. Lord only knows how we got lucky enough to find the guy just by driving around asking if someone was missing a dog.

12. Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it can be funny. Years ago we hunted in gulf hammock up in levy co. & the dog hunters were crazy. They would drive like a bat out of hell, run over fences & drive down fire breaks. I even had one drive under me when I was in my climber. One time my cousin wanted to check his rifle & when he shot I couldn't believe it they came from every direction wanting to know if we got it.
    That was cool you found the owner of the dog & returned it, a lot of people would keep a good hunting dog.

13. Jul 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Alright guys, judging by where I will be staying for the 2 nights I will be in tampa, what if wee meet up @ Whiskey Joes on the causeway on Wednesday August 14th around 6 pm or so?

Here's the address if anyone is interested let me know.

7720 W Courtney Campbell Causeway,
    Tampa, FL ‎ 33607

14. Jul 29, 2013 at 2:50 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Hey Jason, just a heads-up, if you're staying in Wimauma, that's about a 2+ hour drive to the Causeway...through downtown Tampa...during rush hour.:eek:

15. Jul 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Damn, I hadn't even thought about that. But I think it will still be ok. Since we are staying there we could leave the house at 4ish and head to whiskey joes. But you are right, I didn't even think about the shitty Tampa rush hour traffic.

I could do somewhere else, but I don't know that area very well and figured whiskey joes is somewhat central to the area. If anyone has any other recommendations let me know.

16. Jul 29, 2013 at 4:47 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Another option. What about this place?

California tacos
    1450 skipper road
    Tampa, fl 33613

Mike (Mgrande) says its an awesome place.

17. Jul 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    SkottK62

SkottK62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    mistaken post

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  18. Jul 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    SkottK62

SkottK62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The ones that piss me off are the guys that take their kid out to shoot cans or whatever. They got all year to teach their kid how to shoot but no.. they wait until the morning of the first day of deer season to do it. Always pissed me off to no end. Especially when they are nearby and shoot just over your head and when you yell back at them they just say too bad. I'm surprised more people don't get shot during deer season.

19. Jul 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thats one of the reasons we dont hunt wma's/public land, haven't in 10 yrs. Too many idiots & too many people, we started leasing land when my son got old enough to go, I didn't want to take him out there with the craziness. We know who's in the woods, where they are & how they hunt. Plus the chance of seeing a deer is way better.

20. Jul 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    No one??

To Top