1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Taz" - ProfHobbit's Build Log, 2007 Access Cab 2.7l

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ProfHobbit, May 11, 2018.

1. May 20, 2018 at 5:32 PM
    ProfHobbit

ProfHobbit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4WD, 5 SPD, 2.7L, Access Cab, Base
    Minor Stuff
    Next up requires some props for @CtryBoyInMT - the Defrost detoxer.

A/C on with Defrost

The write-up, with pics and caveats for 2009+ year owners, is here.

Basically, my truck's AC will cycle on whenever the Windshield Defrost or combination Windshield and Floor modes are selected. As you can read in that thread, this is a source of pleasure to some, and pain to others. I'm a control freak, and I want to choose when the AC needs to run. I'll use that handy "Make the AC work now, please" button they gave me.

Basically, this entails removing one wire from a harness near the passenger side blower fan. Took me all of five minutes, carefully following the instructions (and warnings about breaking the wire off) in that thread. Here's the results in terms of RPM of the engine:

Defrost Mode selected, AC button "off":

Defrost Mode selected, AC button "on":

Again, thanks for the folks who help to make owning these vehicles such a great experience!

R242 likes this.
  2. May 30, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    OEM Stereo Replacement

Not really much to talk about here. I replaced the factory CD player with this unit. At this point I've only had it in less than a week, and haven't had a lot of time to play with it. The sound quality is decent. I like the on-board EQ. Software overall feels a little clunky, not how I would have designed the interface, but it will work.

Ran the backup camera lead with a 10-gauge primary wire from the cab to the back of the truck. The plan eventually will be to use the 10 gauge wire for accessories in the bed, or for a brake controller if we were to get a larger towing toy. No plans to do so, but why not run everything at once, and throw some wire loom around it.

I settled on this for a backup camera. Picked up the reverse light lead from the taillight wiring harness, and a ground from the trailer harness wiring. The colours and picture are decent - haven't tried it at night yet to see if the LED's actually help at all. Left the wire loop intact for the parking lines, I find them helpful.

Ran the mic up the A pillar to the overhead console, it's a great spot for it.

Highly recommend Crutchfield if you're in the market for a radio. Top-tier service, decent prices, and they throw the mounting brackets and trim piece in for free. Step by step instructions were well done - sensible directions and helpful photos.

Edit: replaced the unit with a Sony XAV X100. Changing out Bluetooth phones between my wife and I was a 4-5 menus deep process on the KENWOOD, and I think CarPlay is going to be a better solution.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  3. May 30, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    Replace Tie Rod Ends / Multiple Suspension Parts

I am currently in the process of gathering up parts to replace the worst bits of my suspension. Here's their current state:

My hope is to gather as many parts off TW members' sales as possible. This will save me a ton of money, and I hope supports this community that has been extraordinarily helpful to me.

Here's my question:

What else should I replace at the same time I have the following items done?

• Brakes / Pads / Calipers: Will source from Rockauto. Thinking of getting the Powerstop KCOE137's.
    • Inner / Outer Tie Rod Ends: Is this something that goes up for sale from TW members, or do I go with a RockAuto part? Buy two of each, right?
    • Shocks / Struts / Coil Over Assembly: Have these, thanks to @Tacoma/Taco
    • Upper Control arms: Again, thanks to @Tacoma/Taco
    • Front Sway Bar and Link Assemblies (L/R): Thanks to @Landnyk , great to meet you!
    • Spindles (L/R): waiting for a set to come available here on the forum
    • ????
    Thanks for any help or advice!

Casper66 likes this.
  4. May 30, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    MurderedTacoV2

MurderedTacoV2 Booty Admirer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hudson, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD OR
    3 inch lift, B110’s, Dakars, Dirty5’s, Dual Locked
    Shoulda got the tie rods done at the dealer while the frame was being done, coulda saved you $$$ on the alignment!

I bought some new ends for my truck when they are trashed, 20 bucks each on Amazon i will grab you the link. They have grease fittings on top for maintenance lubing unlike the oem sealed units that suck. Guess i cant complain though, my boots have been torn for like 55k and they are in great shape still

Proforged 104-10601 Greasable Front Outer Tie Rod End https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VMQ84G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YVWdBb59XPHSQ

5. May 30, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    Thanks for the link! Yeah, there were a few things I wanted to do at the dealership while Taz was still in pieces, but I wasn't sure I was going to keep the truck, and some of the parts costs were through the roof.

Good to know there's some good alternatives to the OEM on the tie rod ends. I'd love to do the whole rack, but for now outer and inner tie rod ends are going to have to suffice.

Casper66 likes this.
  6. May 30, 2018 at 3:25 PM
    MurderedTacoV2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hudson, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD OR
    Those tie rod ends seemed to be the best replacements people found so far. Dont do the rack unless it begins leaking. Its a very expensive part and changing it is a real pain in the balls, exactly why they recommend doing it with the cab and shit off the frame. But anyways, my rack is a tad worn out and the bushing rubber no longer exists but i have no problems with it at all.

7. May 30, 2018 at 4:10 PM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    That's really useful feedback. It's that tough choice between "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "if that breaks it will kill your entire family". I've tried looking at some diagrams of all the parts in that area. Wondering which ones to do at the same time.

Casper66 likes this.
  8. May 30, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    MurderedTacoV2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hudson, New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD OR
    It wont break and kill your family. You would know the racks leaking before anything terrible happens. You will notice a difference for sure!

9. May 30, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    Sounds good to me! There's a laundry list of other expensive parts, like drive shafts and exhaust pipes, that have to go on first.

10. May 31, 2018 at 7:35 PM
    Tacoma/Taco

Tacoma/Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma13'build in process
    3inKing coilover with clickerreservoirs 600lb King struts clicker reservoirs Total choas UCA Total choas Race series LCA Total choas bed stiffnners Timberland bump stops front/rear Welded gusset All pro aluminum apex bumper Warn 9000 Pia fog lights Pia off road light led Baja light bar Spider projection lights U bolt flip kit All pro 3in expedition leafs ARB front & rear locker ARB twin compresser Large ARB tank 4:56 gear ratio CBI slider bolt on CBI rear bumper steal Marlin crawler Taco Box 4:7 Optima blue top BFG 285/75R17 mud tires Body mount chop 1.25 wheel spacer Budbuilt Full body armor with crossmember support for dual transfer case skid plate Redirected exhaust Spider headlights warn Synthetic winch line Factor 55 fairlead Fiberglass hood, front-rear fender wells Beaded rims Spare tire mount in bed
    Did you check out the online salvage yards yet? Anytime, I’m glad the parts are going on a cool ride

11. Jun 1, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    I've done some research for the spindles on automotix.com - great lead, thanks for letting me know about them!

Yes, once I have the front end redone, your parts should hopefully see a lot of miles!

Casper66 and Tacoma/Taco like this.
  12. Jun 6, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    Still looking for where to find the brake dust shields. OEM part # is 4778204050

Also, I know some of the first Gen guys have added aftermarket cruise control to their trucks. Anyone happen to have a writeup for a second Gen? I've been in touch with the folks at Rostra, and they don't seem to know if my truck is pre-wired to the steering wheel for it, or not.

Casper66 likes this.
  13. Jun 7, 2018 at 6:59 AM
    Thebubble

Thebubble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    2009 Pre-Runner, V6: Totaled 2014 Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, 4 Cylinder: Totaled 2000 Tacoma 5 Lug: Sold 2006 Lexus GX470: Wheeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fml! That's so much rust!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jun 7, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    BananaPeelOut

BananaPeelOut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 silver access cab TRD Off-Road
    Kenwood Headunit, CB radio setup, wind deflectors.
    weird that Amazon or advanced auto doesn't have anything. might be stuck buying from a dealer.

15. Jun 7, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    That's kind of my fear. Same with the Axle shafts for main axle for the rear - hoping to find on here at some point, because there's few aftermarket solutions I can find using the OEM part numbers.

BananaPeelOut[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jun 7, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    BEE-ROCK

BEE-ROCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Pro Grille, TRD Pro Headlights, Bilstein 5100's and 5125’s.
    ProfHobbit[OP] likes this.
  17. Jun 7, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    You are the hero of the afternoon! Thank you - that's a great write-up. One question - is there any way to tell if my truck is pre-wired without removing the steering wheel cover? If not, that's not the end of the world. I'll check for the clutch switch harness tonight, as well.

18. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    BEE-ROCK

BEE-ROCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Pro Grille, TRD Pro Headlights, Bilstein 5100's and 5125’s.
    Glad I could help! I believe the only way is to remove the airbag/cover. If I remember correctly, It's not too difficult to do.

19. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    andrew61987

andrew61987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4WD, 2.7L 5 speed

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

20. Jun 7, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    andrew61987

andrew61987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4WD, 2.7L 5 speed
    I would seriously consider getting rid of that truck and starting over, that rust is unprecedented and is likely in places that you'll never be able to reasonably fix. I just see years and years of problems and hassle. Somebody really neglected that poor thing

To Top