1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Teardrop Towing Advice

Discussion in 'Towing' started by usmc2msu, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Jun 4, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    usmc2msu

usmc2msu [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    I’ve camped in my teardrop for a few years and after pulling it with a CX-5 I got tired of worry about tow limits and deciding if I had enough available tow capacity to bring the dog with me. It wasn’t that bad, but you know the feeling if you’ve towed with a small SUV. Anyway, tomorrow is the first time I’ll be pulling with the Tacoma for any real distance. My teardrop is about 1400 lbs loaded and there will be about 500lbs in the truck (including the humans). I have the tow package/V6 and want to know if I’m ok not using ECT. We are going to northern Michigan so we aren’t dealing with many big climbs where ECT would be needed. I believe the manual says use the ECT when towing...is that an absolute when towing such little weight? I just like the way the truck behaves without ECT on (I know I’m in the minority on that). If not using ECT, is it safe to let it run in overdrive? I obviously wouldn’t do this in terrain with real climbs. Just looking for sound advice. First post (first Taco) here so go easy!

98276522-3425-4F2A-BB36-C83EDC7B590D.jpg

2. Jun 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    Whether or not it is "safe", if you want your truck to last, I'd at least read the manual and maybe get an ODBII reader that can monitor transmission temperatures. Then you'll know for sure if you're starting to cook the transmission fluid, which will greatly reduce the life of your transmission.

If I were you and spent all that money on a new truck, I'd at least not use overdrive while towing until you get some real data.

usmc2msu[OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 6, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    With that weight, I’d be inclined to try S5 and see how it does. If a little too much gear shifting happening, maybe ECT added to see how it helps.

What year is yours? Some of the later years seem to have the transmission sorted out a little better than the earlier years.

+1 on the OBD reader. I use a Kiwi3 and OBD fusion.

4. Jun 6, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    usmc2msu

usmc2msu [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    The S5 advice is exactly right. That’s what I kept it in almost the whole time except on some of the bigger climbs. It did great overall and only wanted to keep downshifting when I tried to do the hills in regular drive with ECT. It’s also nice that even when in S mode you can give it a bit of gas and it will drop down a gear without having to actually shift by hand.

It’s a 2017 and I still had to take it in for the shifting. It’s a pleasant drive now and hasn’t resorted back to its old ways after 7k miles.

I’ll definitely get the OBD too just for added peace of mind. Thanks!

RushT[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top