1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Technical Questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by HJM2, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Oct 19, 2018 at 7:38 PM
    HJM2

HJM2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma
    So I’m going to try to word this the best I can...

1) When one upgrades their front suspension to a whole new let’s say Fox coilover system, is the overall measurement (fully extended vs fully retracted) different? Or does it just sit a little higher because the coil spring base is screwed up higher, making the shock extend more? I ask because I wonder about damage occurring at full droop if these kits allow more droop than stock, and I wonder about up travel being limited if I get a 0-3” kit and turn the coils up to 3” of lift. Theoretically, at 0” of lift, you’d have 3” more uptravel than you’d have at 3” of lift? Right? The shock can only extend so far and then it locks out.

2) If the new Fox coilovers allow extra droop, and if that’s not hard on the CVs, ball joints, etc, then why wouldn’t someone just get a top spacer and some new longer bump stops and call it a day??

3) if the new Fox coilovers don’t allow extra droop, and up travel is limited because you cranked the coil base up 3”, why wouldn’t I just get a coil spacer to simulate cranking up the base? I wouldn’t need extended bump stops because I didn’t change anything that would require them, and I’d limit up travel just like I would by cranking up the new adjustable coilovers. I’d have the same amount of overall travel, but less uptravel than stock.

I’m just trying to make sense of it all.

Products Discussed in

To Top