1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tekonsha Brake Controller not powering on

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Lurod, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Nov 12, 2020 at 8:55 PM
    Lurod

Lurod [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma
    I recently plugged in my new Tekonsha brake controller to an existing wiring harness that the previous owner had installed to test it out and the controller came on. So I disconnected it and proceeded to install the bracket for the controller, but when I finished and plugged in the controller again, I got nothing. Zip! The controller evidently is not receiving power. I know that perhaps a fuse blew. My question is, which fuse should I begin with? I attempted to view the fuses under the dash, but I almost broke the cover for it trying to get into it. I checked out the fuses under the hood, but I didn't know where to even begin. I did a quick search in the forums, but found nothing similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am installing it on a 2016.

IMG_3609.HEIC.jpg

2. Nov 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM
    CT Yankee

CT Yankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR AC AT MGM
    Only aesthetic mods so far Leer 180 cap & Clazzio covers on order.
    The brute force method would be to use a continuity tester, pull one fuse at a time, and check that each is good.
    Not having a tester, but having spare fuses, replace one at a time with a spare and see if that helps.
    Did the previous owner use a wiring harness from Tekonsha for that controller and for a Taco (#3031P I think).
    Did you somehow mess up the ground wire from that harness? One wire from Tekonsha's harness has to be connected to a good ground location.
    Lastly, I had a similar problem due to my trying to 'stretch' the harness to a location below the radio in my '06 - after 'jiggling' it around a bit I discovered that one of the wire-to-plug-pin connections had either broken or pulled out and was not making a good connection.
    If it were me, I'd also troubleshoot with my dealer's shop foreman. He's an important person to foster a good relationship with.

Lurod[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 13, 2020 at 2:33 AM
    Tonche

Tonche Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR ACLB
    I shorted mine and popped it when installing my brake controller like an idiot.

This is the one that popped. You don't need to go to Toyota for their fancy $20 fuse. The $5 fuse from auto zone or Napa works just fine.

20201113_023149.jpg

Lurod[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 15, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    Lurod

Lurod [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma
    Thanks a lot! The fuse was out. Don't know why, but it's been working since Friday. Really appreciate the help!

Products Discussed in

To Top