1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Temp/Compass/Altimeter Display

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by McMash, May 29, 2017.

1. May 29, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    McMash

McMash [OP] The only thing better than light bars? Sarcasm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Gig Harbor, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma AC TRD 4x4
    I've always wanted to have a quick at-a-glance readout that would convey these details, but been having a tough time finding one. I was looking at one of the temp/compass rear-view mirror installs, but they attach to the windshield rather than the map-light area and I'd rather not mess with that. Plus they still didn't offer up an altimeter function.

In the midst of my steady google searching, I found a gauge that has all three functions! But it's made for Harley's.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Digit...UTF8&qid=1496081718&sr=8-2&keywords=MCH-GPS17

Looks like it gets heading and alt readings from the built-in GPS, but apparently connects to a factory ambient temp sending unit on '96-'13 HD's. I'm not familiar with HD's, and I'm not a fan of electrical wiring to begin with, but it seems that if I could source this sending unit, it could just be a matter of running power, plugging in the sensor and finding a place to mount it that doesn't look half-assed.

Here's the install manual that details wiring and function: http://www.dakotadigital.com/PDF/MCH-GPS17.PDF

Are ambient temp sensors fairly universal, or are they all proprietary to whatever they're connected to? Have't found much online about the HD sending unit, other than people saying that they are wildly inaccurate. Not sure if this is due to location or the sensor itself, but could any temp sending unit be wired up to work?

Says it's 2 3/16" in diameter, but I'm not finding many gauge mounts in that size. Even though it's a terrible spot, maybe I'll put it where the factory clock is?

Does this sound feasible? Suggestions?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. May 29, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    Kleenax

Kleenax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4WD V6 Auto - Mica Green
    New frame & stuff CBI bolt-on Sliders
    Sounds like a standard 2" gauge hole to me.

3. May 29, 2017 at 2:04 PM
    McMash

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Gig Harbor, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma AC TRD 4x4
    Pardon my lack of knowledge concerning aftermarket gauges and their mountings, but in gauge-hole world, a 2" hole fits a 2 3/16" gauge?

4. May 29, 2017 at 3:19 PM
    tamer

tamer hamerworx.com

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR AC, MGM, 4x4, 6spd MT
    Would love to see this happen

5. May 29, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    McMash

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Gig Harbor, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma AC TRD 4x4
    It's on my list, so I'll keep you guys posted on what I craft up.

6. May 29, 2017 at 6:55 PM
    arctic04trd

arctic04trd VA7XTE

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB
    Subbed. I looked into this, but couldn't find any "low budget" options:anonymous:

You better keep us posted :rolleyes:

McMash[OP] likes this.
  7. May 29, 2017 at 11:40 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Call Dakota Digital and explain what your wanting to do. Guys are really helpful last time I dealt with them.

McMash[OP] likes this.
  8. May 30, 2017 at 12:10 AM
    WileECoyote

WileECoyote Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    It would NOT surprise me if the HD sending unit is NOT "universal". The temp sensors I know of send out specific voltage values relative to the temp degree. So, strictly as an example, 1deg=1V, 2deg=2V. Hence, if the microController "sees" 2V sent by the sending unit, then it will ultimately display 2deg accordingly. Now this is in regards to analog temp sensors.

So, with that said, HD might have it setup in a way that a voltage value will be read differently unless you know what "data" is being sent to interpret their data???

I HIGHLY agree that you should call the people that makes the gauge.

I hope this makes sense? :oops::D

9. May 30, 2017 at 12:28 AM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
  10. May 30, 2017 at 2:07 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    WileECoyote likes this.
  11. May 30, 2017 at 4:56 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    And THEN, there is this obvious choice, LOL!!!
    :thumbsup::fistbump::cheers::laughing::laugh::rofl:

mechanicjon likes this.
  12. May 30, 2017 at 5:02 AM
    Mongoose

Mongoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Double check on the "built in GPS", seems as if the GPS function comes from a separate GPS module.

WileECoyote likes this.
  13. May 30, 2017 at 5:12 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    :eek::goingcrazy::facepalm:

I give up up up!!! LOL!!! :laughing::laugh::rofl:

14. May 30, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    McMash

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Gig Harbor, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma AC TRD 4x4
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to ask. I have no idea if temp sensors have some kind of universal degree-to-voltage ratio, or if they're each totally different in that regard. I'll be contacting Dakota Digital to clarify some stuff.

That's the one I was looking to get, but the more I research I did, it appears that it is intended as an intake temp sensor for the fuel injected models. No idea if that's a separate sensor or if HD's use the same sensor for both fueling and the ambient temp gauge. If this is the case, I'm not surprised by reading the HD ambient temp gauges show higher than actual temps, given proximity to the engine.

According to page 3 of the manual I linked to, the GPS receiver is in the gauge.

Where are the ambient temp sensors located in the 2nd gens? I imagine placement is pretty crucial to accuracy.

WileECoyote[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 30, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    Indy

Member:
    Placement doesnt matter. Youre not trying for space shuttle to mars accuracy, just a general outside temp. It will be within a degree or 2 just line every bank sign has a close but rarely identical temp. My bmws have them behind the front bumper, my jeeps have them in a fender. Just keep it out of the sun and out of the engine bay.

WileECoyote likes this.
  16. May 30, 2017 at 11:24 AM
    Indy

Member:
    Tbh you can probably use any 2 wire sensor made and come close, then fine tune with a variable resistor. Ebay...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    WileECoyote likes this.
  17. May 30, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    Indy

Member:
    "Designed to be used in place of the 96-13 factory air temperature gauge
    It uses the factory gauge cup and plugs directly into the existing gauge wiring
    Ambient air tempereature uses the factory ambient air temperature sender
    Altimeter
    LCD readout displays compass heading, air temperature and elevation in eight LED backlit color choices
    Requires the use of GPS compass module Mfr# MBM-17 and air temperature sensor Mfr# SEN-1701(sold separately)"

Last line has your answers. Compass module will be a couple hundred,

mechanicjon likes this.
  18. May 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    No. I have a gentex mirror and a GM sensor reads way to low but the correct Nissan temp sender works fine.(mirror came out of a Nissan)

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. May 30, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    McMash

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Gig Harbor, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma AC TRD 4x4
    Where are you getting that last line? Doesn't show up on the Amazon page or the product manual. I'll obviously need a temp sensor, but the MBM-17, according to its description, looks to be an add-on intended for MCL and MVX series gauges. I've attached a wiring schematic of the gauge. There's a plug for the included selector switch, and a 3-prong plug: +12v, ground and temp wire. There are no other inputs or outputs to accept the MBM-17.

Per the DD website: "The MCH-GPS17 instrument has an internal, GPS-based Compass and Altimeter sensor for easy installation (no external antenna required)."
    Per the manual: "The MCH-GPS17 uses the same GPS (Global Positioning System) signals that many common navigation systems use to determine location in the world. This location data is used to determine your motorcycle’s direction of travel. Altimeter (height above sea-level) and time data is also available from these signals and either or both can be displayed on the MCH-GPS17. To function properly, the GPS receiver in the gauge must have a clear view of the satellites in the sky to receive the correct signals."

650466 MCH-GPS17 _LCD compass_ manual.jpg

20. May 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Products Discussed in

To Top