1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Temporary leveling kit until proper upgrade

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jason07Blue, May 17, 2020.

1. May 17, 2020 at 5:28 AM
    Jason07Blue

Jason07Blue [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Springfield, MO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tacoma 4x4
    2" leveling kit, moto metal wheels with -12 mm offset with Milestar 275/70 17 ATs
    Hey y'all
    So I'm really new at all this truck mod stuff, and try to do my research without pestering folks, however I'd like to get your opinions on some things. I just leveled my truck to accommodate larger tires, and am a little concerned about the spacers. When I installed them on the coils I noticed it required me to turn the strut assembly 180° which cocked it back toward the rear of the truck. This didn't look right to me, so rather than force the struts back toward the LCA, I simply swapped the struts from R to L. Is this going to be a problem? Mind you, the leveling kit is temporary, I plan to upgrade to Bilstein 5100 adjustable when I have the money. I'd further like your suggestions for that mod, e.g. everything I'll need to get to maintain my current ride height provided by this 2 inch leveling kit. Oh yeah, the strut assemblies I have on the truck are KYB, and they are side specific, which is the cause of my concern about switching them from L to R.

2. May 18, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    gunpup

gunpup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Trd OR / 2001 DCSB SR5
    If I’m hearing you right, the spacer on top probably bolts to the stock top hat, then bolts again with offset nuts to the top mount causing the strut to be spun 180, and when moving the LCA up to bolt the bottom in it is offset toward the rear of the truck? Without load, the spring top hats are never flat. I would swap them back to the correct side, and when you get the top studs through out the nuts on loose, just enough to keep the strut from falling out. Bring the LCA up and seat the bottom mount and bolt loosely. Then jack from under the LCA to put weight on the strut. The top hat will seat with load on it, and you can tighten down the three top nuts (47ish ft/lb). With the load on, re tighten the LCA bolts (100ft/lbs) , then the lower strut mount (62ish ft/lbs). Most Tacoma struts are side specific due to coil strength or length.

gotoman1969 likes this.
  3. May 19, 2020 at 3:16 AM
    Jason07Blue

Jason07Blue [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Springfield, MO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tacoma 4x4
    2" leveling kit, moto metal wheels with -12 mm offset with Milestar 275/70 17 ATs
    Ok, thanks a lot, I appreciate you taking the time to answer and offer your knowledge

tcBob and gotoman1969 like this.
  4. May 21, 2020 at 4:59 AM
    Jason07Blue

Jason07Blue [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Springfield, MO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tacoma 4x4
    I'd like to personally thank you, gunpup, for your help with my strut question. Your suggestions worked to a "T"

gunpup and Island Cruiser like this.
  5. May 23, 2020 at 12:18 AM
    gunpup

gunpup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Trd OR / 2001 DCSB SR5
    Good deal!

Products Discussed in

To Top