1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Terrible 4 cylinder mpg

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Wolverinesam, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Nov 17, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    I like my 2.7 better than the 3.6 in the 15 Colorado.

2. Dec 13, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    poco242

poco242 Member

Member:
    Ellijay, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner SR5 Crew Cab
    Flowmaster 40 Series muffler 12" resonator K&N performance air filter
    Like most everyone else, I, too have been a bit disappointed with the mpg from my '13 Taco 4-banger. It barely edges out the mpg from my former 08' Taco 6-cyl. But I live in the N. GA mountains, so I should not be surprised. All roads around here have hills. I should have done the physics math first...moving a comparable or slightly heavier weight ('08 extended cab v. '13 crew cab) with 70 fewer horses is going to take its toll somewhere. Yeah, I know - but I fell in love with the crew cab the second I used the [full] back doors. And the '13 has Bluetooth, etc, to which I've become accustomed.

That said, I did make a run down/back to ATL on Friday - topped off today and got 22.75 mpg (mostly highway) - probably the best I've seen in the last 18 months. Perhaps I did a better job of topping off the fill pipe. Probably accounts for the up-tick (btw, I usually run 89 octane instead of 87 - haven't tried it with 92 octane). Like Wolverinesam, I'm [semi] retired and it's usually just me (180 lbs) and a 75 lb white boxer named Petey in the truck. I'm contemplating the addition of a K&N intake (yes, I've read all the good/bad/waste-of-$$ comments) and perhaps a straight exhaust, but even a 2 mpg increase would be worth it to me, even though I usually put less than 5K miles/year on the truck. And 4500 rpm is where I need the extra ponies - interstate on-ramp, getting out of someone's way, etc. Any increase would help. Jury's still out on that one, though...

But wait - just got a recall notice that Toyota is anxious to provide me with a new exhaust pipe with catalytic converters...we'll see what that does (not holding my breath that it will do anything at all as I can't say I've experienced the problems they detail in the recall)...

3. Dec 13, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    poco242

poco242 Member

Member:
    Ellijay, GA
    Vehicle:
    BTW, my '13 Taco is stock - I don't have a Borla HP exhaust. Not sure where that came from. I think one of the grandkids has tinkered with my profile...

4. Dec 13, 2015 at 11:40 AM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    You guys get the recall letter for the cat? I think the 13 is involved with it. I got one for my old truck. Says the converter can get clogged, would certainly effect mpg.

I'm assuming you guys understand by now (8pages) the window sticker mpg quote is for the engine not the specific truck. So take into account 5lug, 6lug, 5speed, auto, rc-up to double cab.

I've always like the 2tr-fe great truck engine!

5. Dec 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Intake and exhaust absolutely DO NOT increase mpg. Save your money.

yesmar likes this.
  6. Dec 13, 2015 at 2:42 PM
    Wolverinesam

Wolverinesam [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York State
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner 2.7L
    I agree with Worthywads that they won't increase mpg. They may lower your torque peak to a more useable level ( ~31-3200). I put an AFE Power catback in mine recently to open it up a little. I'm not crazy about the much louder sound, but that's going to happen when you open it up. Butt dyno says it's a little quicker. I got the cat recall as well.

7. Dec 13, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    Wolverinesam

Member:
    New York State
    Vehicle:
    And I'm finally coming to terms with the mileage. This engine is a tractor, not a racer. Built to haul, not haul ass.

ecoterragaia and yesmar like this.
  8. Dec 13, 2015 at 4:51 PM
    poco242

poco242 Member

Member:
    Ellijay, GA
    Vehicle:
    I really appreciate the feedback, y'all. I'd be foolish not to heed it as I'm not anxious to throw away hard earned money. I may look into the AFE Power Catback, though (Wolverinesam, it appears your Taco is a crew cab, too). I really wouldn't mind if the truck sounded a little more manly - but no flappy farting, please... Butt dyno readings are valuable, too, as perceptions are important. Whether reality supports it or not, if the truck feels quicker and sounds better to the owner, that's over half the battle IMHO.

What/who is a good source for the AFE Power Catback?

9. Dec 14, 2015 at 3:17 AM
    Wolverinesam

Member:
    New York State
    Vehicle:
    I got mine directly from AFE thru their website. Before you buy anything look up and read posts by Tooter on Tacoma World. He's done extensive dyno testing on various configurations. He's a proponent of stock intake, aftermarket header like the LCE 2TR header, stock exhaust, and perhaps just an aftermarket air filter that isn't one of the oiled type.
    BTW if you do go for the AFE cat back, I found the tip created a REALLY annoying louder drone sound so I removed it. Some folks like the Borla system, others the Magnaflow or Flowmaster.

Edit: here's the link to Tooters dyno testing.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2-7-dyno-charts.285741/

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  10. Dec 14, 2015 at 5:31 AM
    poco242

poco242 Member

Member:
    Ellijay, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Wolverinesam. I had a bad experience with high performance exhaust systems right after I bought the truck - actually had the dealer order a system for me (Borla, I think) only to find out it wouldn't fit once I brought the truck in for installation. You'd think they would be able to get it right, especially since they sold the truck to me. For some reason, the system they ordered turned out to be for a 6-cyl. So I gave up on the new exhaust. I've been told these new vehicles leave the factory tuned about as well as possible, so replacing parts with aftermarket ones yields little benefit (yet here I am discussing doing the very thing). But I've also been told the header is a good place to start. I'll get the cat recall taken care of and maybe try an un-oiled air filter. Small steps... Thanks for the good info. Drive safe.

11. Dec 14, 2015 at 5:48 AM
    Wolverinesam

Member:
    New York State
    Vehicle:
    Comprendo. I will say the LCE has been installed by TW members with no issues at all. There's even a video on their site showing the install on the 4 banger.
    I've been fortunate to have many members give me good advice here so payin' it back.
    :cheers:

12. Dec 16, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    With modern vehicles and the constantly increasing mpg requirements by the govt, it's silly to think that they are intentionally leaving off a $5 part that would give you 50mpg (making up numbers again). The manufacturers spend bajillions of dollars designing the engines, tranny's etc to either give better hp or better mpg, because those 2 numbers can result in massive wins in sales. They do have to design the system for the best overall use, so you may be able to tweak a bit for your personal needs. But you're not going to get OMG differences.

MPG on the window sticker is not taken by actual vehicles being driven on actual roads. It's a rolling road (no wind etc) in a closed building. They have been required to modify their testing a bit to close represent 'actual driving' but it's still a flawed model compared to real life. Even then, it's an average and there are 2 sides to an average. Really really good, and really really bad. Both are going to be 'normal' along with everything in between. Beyond that there's too many variables to get too concerned compared to others. Driving style is huge, location plays a big part. I live high enough that people who move here from lowlands can actually get altitude sickness. My HP and mpg loss is a fact of life. Just dropping 1k feet and the vehicle feels like it gained a cylinder. Comparing me to someone in AZ at sea level isn't apples to apples. On a good day I get 16-18 with the 2.7, stick, 4wd, oversize tires, and being undergeared still. It could be better to say the least. I drive it sanely but it has to be pushed hard on the interstate.

My mustang otoh I can drive like a complete idjit and it gets 21'ish on the low side with the v8 and barely ticks over on the interstate. It's the best mpg vehicle I've ever owned and doesn't seem to care too much how long the rear tires last.

That4runnerguy likes this.
  13. Dec 16, 2015 at 1:12 PM
    Wolverinesam

Member:
    New York State
    Vehicle:
    Excellent observations!! All true. I'm going to keep repeating to myself: Haul, not haul ass. haul, not haul ass. Haul, not...

14. Dec 16, 2015 at 7:00 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I'll add that theoretically at high altitude, you can get better mpg than at sea level from my experience. Thinner air produces less drag, thinner air produces less hp, and with less hp you can use less gas. If less hp causes you to floor it to achieve the acceleration you want you will probably rev higher than at sea level and kill your mpg. Keep the revs down and accept a lower speed and acceleration and mpg will be better.

I dwell on better mpg over speed and take advantage of the altitude. Summer time at 60-65 I can get 32-35 mpg with my 5-lug all day long. Same speed at sea level I've seen only 27-29.

15. Dec 17, 2015 at 10:56 PM
    That4runnerguy

That4runnerguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Newport News Va
    Vehicle:
    04 ltd 4runner
    Mid travel icon coilovers Spc uppers soon to go Mt spec icon 2.5 rears with cdc clicky things , mt dual rate 3" springs Mt rear control arms, bump ext , stainless ext rear brake lines , stainless braided front lines . Ebc stage five rotors , yellow stuff pads Tc spindle braces , alignment tabs Volant CAI Optima red top with custom battery cage Method standards , 285 duracraps ShrockWorks front bumper Cbi rear swingout Full rci skids , icon lower shock gaurd , opr link guards , lr diff skid Updated 09 projector head lights sylvania bulbs and color matched + led tai lights .Grill to come Weather tech mats , window louvers Cobra 75, fire stick antenna Cbi ditch light brackets Warn m8000 with factor55 flat link , and southeast overland synthetic line . Otrattw switches Bamf sliders
    Just my .02cents I usually hit over epa estimates in my vehicles as wel before I did armor my 4Runner with 285s was averaging 21-22 when I was still daily driving it ( strictly all highway mileage 60-65 mph flat terrain )

Recently I bought a used access cab 12 2.7 2wd base 5spd With 64k miles .
    All i did was change oil to Mobil one synthetic 20k mile 0/20 , remove carbon filter and add afe air filter . Didn't have the truck long but again all highway miles no elevation changes etc and ac on got 25-26 best usually 24-25 .

Just a few weeks ago I sold the 12 and bought a Reg cab 07 auto with 102k miles on it . Drove it the first week and average 25.6 . Since I have done the same as above changed oil to synthetic 0/20 , charcoal filter removed , afe filter , and also changed the plugs on this one . At the beginning of the week I also added royal purples injector cleaner to the tank (was the best stuff Walmart had , just spur of the moment purchase but does have good online reviews. ) filled up today so the upcoming week will hopefully get some good numbers . I'm seeking something close to 30 since I read it's possible and have gone from access cab to Reg cab. Also it has cooled off since I sold the 12 so haven't used the ac or heat yet in the 07 .

Factors
    very humid here east coast va
    87 octane
    Live less than 4 miles from interstate , work is less than 2 miles from interstate 42 miles each way .
    Interstate speed usually 60-65
    Both trucks stock tire size

Plan on purchasing a scan guage to monitor fuel consumption vs speed to find the "optimum speed " to travel since I log a lot of miles .

16. Dec 18, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    Indy

Member:
    I've never heard that. But I've not heard everything :) I live at 6-7k feet, go double that when hunting. Normal Istate speed about 75-80. I run pretty close to 50/50 highway and in town.

So thinking about this a second and only speaking for myself. Less oxygen in the air = lower hp = a heavier foot to just stay on the interstate. Assuming the TPS is giving more gas to compensate for that, you still have less oxy, so the mix will be a bit richer even at cruise. Or drop a gear, and let it rev higher with a lighter foot (what I normally do) and stay in 3rd/4th. Either one I'd assume that would lead to a lower mpg. I know the computer will keep (well should keep) the mix in range but I know I have a fairly heavy throttle when I'm on the interstate, and the same at lights to get going. When I go higher, I have to use a lot more throttle, and I have to stay a gear lower. If I get out of 3rd, it's only briefly. My mpg definitely suffers, but I'm also in a more varied terrain when I'm in the mountains.

Dropping 1k feet into ft collins, which I do fairly often, I can stay in 5th with a lighter foot or drop to 4th and let it rev, but I never have to drop to 3rd. And my mpg goes up. And driving the taco, it's no speed demon so there's no reason to beat the heck out of it at the lights. When I was riding my ducati down there, I was definitely more aggressive on the throttle even when I didn't mean to be. Up here I'd have to work a bit to pick up the front wheel, down there it kept happening by accident :) I know I'm a bit more power hungry in the mustang down there, it's easier to have fun than up here. So driving style definitely played a part. But overall in that 1k foot difference I've noticed better hp and mpg at the lower elevation if I keep my driving style similar at both. It's also possible that in the range I'm experiencing I have enough of a difference in 1 factor to see, and not enough of a difference in the other to experience.

At sea level, and I'm going to have to go apples/oranges here since I haven't driven the same vehicle at both (yet) I've gotten better mpg than I have up here and that was at cruise. I've been to FL several times, rental vehicles each time, and driving them like 1. I don't own them :laugh: has resulted in good mpg. I've rented a convertible mustang 2-3 times and gotten quite a bit better mpg than my convertible up here. But those are newer, 2015/16 vs my 2002. So not a straight comparison. I just got back 2 weeks ago, was in a grand cherokee. Newer again, but drove it like a rental (sorry car) and still got noticeably better than the GT as well. But again new vs 02.

I'm moving to FL shortly and I think i'll be taking the mustang with me, I'll be able to apples/apples it then. Unless I sell it and buy a new one.

Going slow on the interstate will of course lead to better mpg, up until you die. Non-stop semi traffic doing 80 and you doing 50 does not for a happy christmas make :laugh:

I have 2 interstates here, both are major transportation routes, lots and lots of semi trucks no matter which direction I'm headed.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  17. Dec 18, 2015 at 2:08 PM
    Indy

Member:
    There is definitely a difference in air density up here, and put a 'hot' day in the mix and you've got about no air. I know there are very few 'sport' pilot level planes that can actually fly up here. There's not enough air to produce lift. Even normal private type planes, on hot days, they want to be off the ground and gone either early in the day or late in the day, or else they're not getting off the ground safely (or at all). The 172 I spent most of my time in was not a speed demon by any stretch, and on a warm day you REALLY had to watch your airspeed and AOA on takeoff. That thing was a SLUG. The newer planes I flew had more going on under the hood, but the temp and lower lift was still noticeable.

I've only flown up here, no idea what the difference in burn rates etc would be down low, we were still on the runway and higher than many private pilots actually fly :laugh:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  18. Dec 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    my 4 banger 2013 4x4 auto I just bought first tank of gas on it>>22.81 mpg

19. Dec 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Victim of a well spent youth

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R, Alice, the fishing car
    2015, 2.7liter, 4x4, 5spd, ac cab, 200+lb snugtop, stock dunflops. best,24.2 mpg., worst, 19.8 mpg. no fancy gauge,or gps. gallons pumped, divided by miles driven. this seems good to me,any thoughts?

20. Dec 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    seems right my old 3.4l v6 in my 2004 taco got 20mpg

Products Discussed in