1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Testing Fuel pressure with no fuel pressure gauge 2.7 liter Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Food forester, Sep 14, 2023.

1. Sep 14, 2023 at 10:13 PM
    Food forester

Food forester [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 2.7 Liter
    Anyone know if it is safe to test fuel pressure by loosening the bolt of the fuel injector rail to observe if fuel sprays out?

This link explains the trick to test fuel pressure with no tool. He doesn't say if one should try to start the motor to see fuel leave bolt. Not sure if starting could mess it up while the bolt is open. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064Ilsz8Fzg

The truck has spark and turns over only when I spray starting fluid.
    Trying to figure out why no fuel.

Tested:
    C/OPN relay
    EFI relay
    IGN fuse
    EFI 1 & 2 fuses

Now I need to test the fuel pressure
    Listen for the fuel pump when I start the truck to determine if pump is working
    After that, if this doesn't get to the root of the problem. I need to figure out what else there is on the Troubleshooting tree.

Thanks for everyone's help! I really hope to overcome and not have to go to the shop.

2. Sep 15, 2023 at 5:03 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    See if you have power at IB1 Pin 8 (Red/BlacK) while cranking and check that the pin isn't burnt.
    05-06 Instrument panel connector joining harness LH Side.jpg

If you have power you can disconnect the forward fuel line, hook a hose to the line coming from the frame, and run it in a container to see if fuel comes out while cranking.
    20220701_160550.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  3. Sep 15, 2023 at 5:35 PM
    Food forester

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 2.7 Liter
    Thanks for the guidance.

I have power on the red/black wire. Plugged the connector back in.

Fuel didn't move a bit when I tried to start it.

Is it time for a new fuel pump or is there any other testing I should do next?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  4. Sep 15, 2023 at 5:59 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    You could try smacking on the bottom of the tank with a hammer while someone tries to start it, sometimes you get lucky and the pump will run one more time.
    If not then check power and ground at the pump itself but at that point you pretty much have to drop the tank (or pull the bed if you have a regular cab or access cab) to access the connector at the pump.

5. Sep 15, 2023 at 6:47 PM
    Food forester

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 2.7 Liter
    Will give that a try.

Was I supposed to depressurize the fuel line before opening the line?

I reattached the line, cranked it again and opened the line again. I then noticed the fuel level dropped from sight in the line from the body.

There was no fuel in the upper fuel line going to the injector rail.

6. Sep 15, 2023 at 6:55 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Your supposed to to minimize the risk of fuel spraying out when unhooking a line but since you have no fuel pressure there's nothing to depressurize, I usually wrap a rag around when I unhook a fuel line so I don't get sprayed if it happens to be under pressure.

Products Discussed in

To Top