1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Textured Double DIN for Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jetchef, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    jetchef

jetchef [OP] Member

Member:
    I was wondering if anyone has used the textured silver double DIN from Taco Tunes. It looks to me a closer match than the Schoche ones available all over the place. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    My metra is textured....

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i have the schoche kit and it fucking blows giant dicks! i have a pioneer avic gps bluetooth model something or another i had bought back in october the metra kit didn't fit it due to the trim ring being missing.

and the schoche kit hold the radio in via plastic tabs instead of metal cage and screws like on the factory brackets so needles to say my radio broke the dash kit once and had to be made more robust through the use of epoxy.

not happy with any of the 2nd gen dash kits they are cheap plastic pieces of shit.

4. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    jetchef

jetchef [OP] Member

Member:
    How did it work, fit. most of the feedback I've gotten and people I talk to tell me they aren't worth it and instead of putting up with the headaches to just suck it up and deal w the factory head.

5. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I've had both a single-DIN and double-DIN Schoshe dash kit and both have worked just fine. They are plastic yes, but I haven't had any breakage issues. Closest problem I had was on the single-DIN where I tightened it down too much and the plastic bolt hole broke. I just put a washer on that bolt, and all worked well.

The Schoshe fit perfect for me although, yes, they are the smooth silver, not textured like the Metra kit. From what I read the Metra kit was more problematic, but that is from heresay, not experience.

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    I got my textured one from bestbuy.com

After a year, its starting to squeak :(:(:(

7. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    put cardboard at the ends

8. Jul 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    mwtaco

mwtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07DCSB Black
    how r the dash kits from crutchfield?

9. Jul 19, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    i got the textured on, i forgot the brand. looks cool, like stock. lots of reps from friends who seen it. i like it. choose what u like

10. Jul 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    mwtaco

mwtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07DCSB Black
    i installed metra kit included with crutchfield purchase. while certainly not lexus quality by any means, it fit fairly well. a little rough looking. but satisfactory. at this point i cant comment on how it holds up over time. over fit was satisfactory. i thought the trim qas cutting it close with regards to gaps but after finishing the install no gaps perceptible.

11. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    I have a double din Schoche piece of shit, the plastic trim brackets that hold the radio in place warped and the whole cover shimmys out all the time. The tabs that hold the cover in place won't stay on anymore and the trim piece that fill the radio fell off as well. I bought the Metra kit to replace it but it wants you use the factory radio brackets which I had to purchase 2 years later since I sold it with my original head unit and once you place the factory bracket on the radio the damn thing won't line up anymore and it's useless needless to say I'm about to buy another one (Schoche) and try to make it work again. If anyone has any suggestions just reply. Also if anyone wants a Metra kit I have one available with instructions.

12. Dec 16, 2011 at 3:13 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    You can make your own "custom" trim ring to fill the gaps out of window screen spline. Comes in grey or black in a variety of sizes.

Products Discussed in

To Top