1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thank$$$$ Toyota

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HerkyBird, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    HerkyBird

HerkyBird [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi guys. Been reading threads on this forum for about 2 yrs, but never registered until now, but thought my experience should be shared.

I bought my '99 truck a little over 2 yrs ago from a neighbor who was getting too old to drive. It only had 55K on it and I've put another 12K on it. The truck was in excellent condition so I didn't pay much attention to the letter from Toyota about the frame rust and corrosion treatment. Even though I live in a state with high salt use in the winter (PA)... my truck was too clean for that to be a problem.

Then the previous owner gave me a Follow-Up letter he received recently from Toyota urging that the truck be inspected before 12/31/2011. Eh-h... it was free, so what the heck - I'll take it in. My concern was that they would spray some sticky goo on the frame that would drip on my driveway.

Well... I never got that far! The service writer tells me the tech found rust perforation on the frame. Then he explained the whole buyback process. I was seriously depressed. I planned on driving my Taco for many years yet. But now it wouldn't pass our state inspection.

I got a great deal when I bought the truck and but knew I'd never find another truck like it at the price I got it for.

So I sent in all the info they wanted and waited. In about a week they sent me an offer for just over $14,500! I almost fell out of my chair.

Long story short... About 2 weeks after that I meet the Toyota guy at the dealership, sign some papers and he hands me a check. Unbelievable!

The moral of my little story is if you don't think your truck has 'rust perforation'... think again. I couldn't see it just looking underneath and my local garage guy didn't spot it either. But the Toyota tech knew where to look. I got talking to another owner when I went to get some stuff out of my truck. He was sure his truck would pass. "Always garage kept and pressured washed the undercarriage". Yep - his failed too. He was practically in tears.

So for what it's worth - get your truck looked at by Toyota.
    Me... I'm out shopping for another Tacoma (although my wife wants a Highlander). I loved that truck, but this was a once in a lifetime deal that Toyota was offering that I'd be crazy to pass up.

I hardly ever post stuff on forums. Kind of busy with my business.
    But I thought my experience might be of interest to some other owners who have been putting off having their truck frames inspected. Just do it!

Now I've got to get back to work. I'm out of here.

2. Dec 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    TawcoTime

TawcoTime Taco Verde

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '01 XtraCab TRD, Manual 3.4
    Wow Sounds like you made out pretty good.
    I'll never find a truck if they keep condemning them all.

3. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I never got that far either, unfourtinately mine was totaled, and i hot 8,000 for my 96

4. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    TacoTitan11

TacoTitan11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. C
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    wow! holy crap!

5. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    TacoMX