1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

That Damn Ticking!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Crusher 2, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Jul 11, 2008 at 6:56 AM
    Crusher 2

Crusher 2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB, SR5, Cavalry Blue, mostly stock
    Hey all,

Been lurking here for a while. Finally decided to register. Hope you will allow me to vent.... My 06 Taco has had the ticking engine since 7500 miles. (just turned 30K) It's been in and out of Toyota dealers so many times I lost count. First time I mentioned it at 7.5k dealer took it right in and replaced exhaust headers, nothing changed. I've been through Toyota Motor Sales, with two different case numbers/case managers. TMS and the dealers just keep telling me "it's a known problem, don't worry about it." or "all of them do it". I know 8 guys who have the same truck and theirs don't do it. The ticking worries the hell out of me. An engine should not sound like that! Everytime I pull into a drive thru or into the parking garage I hear it. It's driving me crazy. (they're coming to take me away, haha hehe) What bugs me the most is they (TMS) will never say exactly what causes the ticking. It feels like they are just dragging me along untill the warranty is up. Case manager slipped up one time and quoted a much higher mileage in an effort to blow me off, saying it was out of warranty. I think TMS is at their wits end with me because I've been persistent. Their final option now is to offer to go to arbitration to buy the truck back. Anyone gone this route? What was the outcome? (I know it can't possibly be in my favor) Anyone got one of these engines with a 100k miles or more on it who can say it really has not been a problem? I'm just distraught. This was my dream truck and I planned to run her to well over 150k. With life and raising kids I have not purchased a new truck since 89. I've owned 9 different Toyotas since my first in 89. And run them all to over 130k, and never had these type of problems. Any input is appreciated.

2. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:00 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
  3. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:05 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I made a post with a link to fix this problem. I think it was made into a "sticky". The ticking is part of the emissions, and the link has a way to fix it your self. Keep us posted on how it goes.

4. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:12 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
  5. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:22 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    First off Welcome to the site! you will usually find alot of willing knowledgeable people here. About the ticking sound i just think it the nature of the engine i don't see any way it could be detrimental to the longevity of the motor/truck. Think of is this way if it is really bothering you that much get some long tube headers and an intake/exhaust and drown that darn ticking sound out. Before you know it you will forget all about it and odds are you wont hear it again , BTW i too had the TSB performed and it helped but didnt completely solve the problem. But the Doug Thorley long tube headers did :D:D

6. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:38 AM
    Crusher 2

Crusher 2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB, SR5, Cavalry Blue, mostly stock
    Thanks guys,

That was the first TSB (EG021-06 TSB) done....no improvement from the first time I started it after the TSB was done. Svc manager stood right beside it and agreed there was no change.

Chris, thanks for the tip on the PWM emissions thingy. I'll try that this weekend. If it is that simple...shame on Toyota and these dealers.

...also had a TSB for brake noise "clicking" when change directions. (don't have the number handy, I find it and post later) Dealer did that one....fix lasted about 7 days and then it was back. After this TSB was done it immediately created a shimmy in the front end at 64+ MPH. Been back 3 times and two different dealers trying to make it go away. The list goes on and on.

7. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The shimmy @ 60+ dosent bother me. All my Tacomas have done it. I wrote it off as a "Tacoma thing". Many of the "Techs" at these dealers dont know a thing about the trucks except how o change the oil. If that. Its a shame. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top