1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The $200 Sport Hood

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gdklebba2, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Jan 10, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    gdklebba2

gdklebba2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Graham
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 2.7L 4x4 Base Extra Cab
    5100s and 885 coils, ARB Bumper, Tall ARE Cap, 4Runner wheels
    I own a 2014 TRD Off Road in Silver Sky Metallic, and was blown out of the water when I saw a Facebook yard sale post for a TRD Sport Hood in my color and year. The guy was asking $50! I’d seen enough threads on here of people offering crazy prices to get one, so I was instantly interested. It had been laying out in his yard for a year, and didn’t have the scoop insert itself. But for $50, I met up with him the next day.

It was a little scuffed up, and had cobwebs and tree sap all over, but otherwise it was in good shape. There’s one small dent right at the front, near the center, but nothing that can’t be popped out.

The most obvious mark is on top of the bulge. It’s just a long scuff, looks like the hood was flipped upside down resting on the bulge for a while.

After a good scrub down and pressure wash this afternoon, it’s looking much better. Still some visible scuffs, but it looks like they didn’t go through the clear coat, so I should be able to buff them out pretty easily.

I’m not great at taking pictures, and the sun was starting to go down fast, sorry.

I ordered an unpainted Hood Scoop Insert Kit off of Amazon. It came with all the trim necessary to install.

I haven’t painted and installed yet, but I wanted to see how it looked dropped in the hood.

I really like the look of the black insert, so I think I’m going to go with black paint for it. If I don’t like that, I have a can of Silver Sky Metallic paint coming in soon from Automotive Touchup. I’ve seen from a lot of folks that their paint is some of the best to color match with the metallic finish on my truck. I definitely plan to use the paint to color match my grille surround and emblem, and if it looks good, hopefully the bumper one day, as I hate the chrome. My wheels are stock, and since I’m not in a place to get new ones, I’m thinking of painting them black to change things up a bit, especially if I stick with the black scoop. More to come as I finish this little project.

So far I’m under $200 into this project, for a perfectly good TRD Sport Hood that will match my truck beautifully. Pretty pleased so far.

2. Jan 10, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    E.RDZ_TACOMA

E.RDZ_TACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tacoma Access Cab 4×4
    :annoyed: 50 for the hood??? That's a steal. Great buy. Been looking for an indigo ink with scoop but no luck.

3. Jan 10, 2019 at 7:56 PM
    loyaltothetaco

loyaltothetaco It's part ATV, part SUV, and certified by the DMV

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Radiant Red 2006 DCSB SR5
    2.5" OME lift, Fox 2.5 coil overs, all pro expo leafs, ubolt flip kit w/ upgraded bump stops, 1.25" wheel spacers, 16" Bronze KMC Impact OL wheels, 295/75/r16 Nitto grapplers, beige Softopper, Brute force front bumper w/smittybilt winch, RCI rear bumper, caliraised rock sliders, TRD IFS skid plate custom swingout tailgate w/spare tire mount, TC bed stiffeners, Magnum force CAI, KC spotlights, tacomabeast headlights, rear seat molle panel odds and ends, hi lift, MESO interior lights, and a fuck load of patches… more planned for later.
    Found yourself a diamond in the rough!

4. Jan 10, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    SocalTaco15

SocalTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Socal, Orange County
    Nice work op. Clay bar that thing, buff, then wax. Golden

5. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    rphillips

rphillips Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Norene TN.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg. cab 4x4
    none
    That thing looks terrible, but I would take it off your hands, just to help you out. Where can I come & pick it up at??

6. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:40 AM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Silver Sky Metallic
    Wow would kill for a find like this for my silver sky metallic

7. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:51 AM
    TheDevilYouLove

TheDevilYouLove You can’t polish a turd, but you can polish a TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marylandistan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab 4x4 silver streak
    What does a scooped hood typically sell for?

Products Discussed in

To Top