1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The 4.88 mega thread!!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by JerryTaco, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Sep 25, 2017 at 3:59 PM
    JerryTaco

JerryTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am hoping that @honey chimes in. He has a sport and also has gears. I know he had issues in the beginning as well, but I think his also had to do with improper installation. In the end, I think it really comes down to the installer

Danactive[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Sep 25, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    Danactive

Danactive Instagram: xxdanactivexx

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Check Out My Build Thread :)
    thus why I will be going with you know who when the time comes lol

JerryTaco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I'm not sure what the confusion is with the install kits. Look at the box? The off road model will be labeled mkt8.75 or whatever it is. The sport will have a different pn.

Unless you are saying the boxes are labeled wrong with mystery parts inside?

Tacomamike mike likes this.
  4. Sep 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    We have had nothing but good luck from Nitro. Sounds like a installer error. What do you expect Nitro to do about something that wasn't check before install. Doesn't really sound like their fault, nor have I ever heard of Nitro cussing at customers.

5. Sep 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    avitaco

avitaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4x4

They know they sent out the wrong parts and when people called about it they were basically told to take a hike... Several people have had this experience. They could have solved the issue by working with people but the chose the easy way out.

Their excuse was that "toyota" didnt tell them the size changed on the 8inch diff for their kits to have the proper bearings to fit. its off by like .03mm so its next to impossible to see a difference. but at high revs that little bit can ruin the rear end. Everyone makes mistakes, its the companies that stand by their products and services to do right by customers that are the good ones.. Unfortunately Nitro was not one of those good ones

The installer I used is the recommended installer for ARB in the area i am at and he has been doing it for like 30 years.

*** also they sent me a box that looked like it had been chewed up... or tossed around. It was clearly not a new box or new product they sent... They might have sent out something that someone else returned and pawned it off as new...

luckily ARB is Rad and took care of me or I would have paid double because of Nitro...

Just a warning for all you guys thinking about this. There are other companies that care about customer service.

cryptolime likes this.
  6. Sep 25, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    avitaco

avitaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4x4

yeah they were labeled wrong and sent out with the bearings for a different diff. When they found out about it, they did nothing and basically told people to use the wrong parts or buy new stuff.

If you dont buy their kits you should be ok... but they will try to talk you into a master bearing kit. If youre under 10k miles I would def pass and if youre over I would look for a different company.

7. Sep 25, 2017 at 7:08 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    leather, T.C. 6", King coilovers, TC uca's, Alcan, amp, Pro comp, bushwaker, bamf, magnaflow, afe.
    Hey guys, I don't think we had any problem with the kit being the wrong parts, and I got it through just differentials. I dealt with Carl, and Murph. Not sure it was in proper install either. I know he took pictures and I know he's done lots of gears over the years. He was never a big fan of nitro geas though, told me that before he installed them. I didn't know anything about REM polishing at the time. I actually think he did a little break in before I got the truck back and possibly did something wrong. When I picked the truck up I had a whining from the rear end witch he said may go away and may not. After about 1500 miles I brought it back and made him take it apart. He found gears that were burned up. Then the finger-pointing started to come out, he was saying they were bad gears Nitro saying might be the install, then I think they were blaming it on my break in which I knew was not the problem, and the installer backed me on that. In the end he sent it out to their shop in California they reinstalled new gears, sent it back and it's been quiet and good ever since. I did make him take the front apart just to double-check and he did and everything was good. Just because I had a bad experience doesn't mean that you will. Lots of people having a good experience with it. Definitely happy that I had it done truck drives much better with the new gears. With my 6 inch lift I think 4.88 is almost not enough. But definitely better than it was.

8. Sep 25, 2017 at 8:05 PM
    JerryTaco

Member:
    Thanks for chiming in man!

avitaco likes this.
  9. Sep 25, 2017 at 8:13 PM
    honey

honey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    16 tdr sport inferno 4x4
    leather, T.C. 6", King coilovers, TC uca's, Alcan, amp, Pro comp, bushwaker, bamf, magnaflow, afe.
    Welcome! With all I've learned and a lot of it from watching your build, sometimes I think I want to do it all again and see how much smoother it could go second time around with a little more experience and knowledge. Although now everything seems to be working quite well. And I know I would probably be in divorce court if I started over at this point. LOL

Fortunt1, avitaco and JerryTaco[OP] like this.
  10. Sep 25, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    Marc529

Marc529 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am in the process of ordering a set and learned this today. There is a Toyota front diff version change, do not when or how to id it. Nitro makes two types; a thin and thick version, sorry can't tell you any more than that. The dealer/installation shop that I ordered from says they always order the thin version and it works with both carriers regardless of version.

11. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM
    PNWTacoma

PNWTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    PDX 3rd party OV Tuner
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro | 2017 TRD OR DCLB (sold)
    PNW Adventures & PNW Tuning
    Is this change affecting both Sport and OR models?

12. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:39 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    I think there was an issue with the Pros as well. I think @Bray1197 had a different front dif.

13. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:39 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    I read someone talking about the Cryo treatment and I can explain why we chose the REM polishing over the Cryo.

There is a huge buzz going around about Cryo Treatment these days. The main difference is that Cryo aims at changing the actual metallurgic structure while REM is only a surface treatment.

REM treatment results in a smoother surface. The end result is less friction, less heat, and less wear. Any machined part has high and low areas left over from machining, grinding, etc. Those high spots become the initial contact points which in turn can become localized hot spots. Those localized hot spots can take the temper out of the heat treated area of the surface and then become a pit. REM reduces that possibility.

Other benefits include elimination of stress risers on the edge of parts and less friction on any metal on metal surfaces.

With out getting too technical when a part is heat treated you can have what is called retained austenite let over. There have been many debates over the years about how much RA should be left over after heat treat, if any. Cryo treatment aims to convert RA to martensite and change the grain structure of the base metal. In tool steels this additional conversion of RA appears beneficial. In gears some amount of RA appears to be beneficial

14. Sep 26, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Marc529

Marc529 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I do not know. I also do not know if every gear set sold is the thin variety. The only what to know is tear it down and compare parts. But if you get the thin set it will work on either.

15. Sep 26, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    FuchsB

FuchsB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement TRD PRO
    Jerry, Great write up! Quick gear question--Having the same tires and setup as Duan will I notice that dramatic of a difference with new gears around town?

daohaus likes this.
  16. Sep 26, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    JerryTaco

Member:
    Duan?

17. Sep 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    daohaus

daohaus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duan
    33.960892 -117.575824
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Off Road Premium 4runner
    Rotiform SIX OR Toyo Open Country RT
    Me lol 285/70/17

Driving around town stock with stock grating sucks balls

FuchsB likes this.
  18. Sep 26, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    JerryTaco

Member:
    Ah, yeah, gears will definitely make a difference but it's unfortunate that 4.56 isn't an option as I personally think it'd be a better match for that tire.

FuchsB and daohaus[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Sep 26, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    daohaus

daohaus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duan
    33.960892 -117.575824
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Off Road Premium 4runner
    Rotiform SIX OR Toyo Open Country RT
    Someone needs to come out with that gear