1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

THE COLD AIR INTAKE BATTLE

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LAoffroadin, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Mar 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Because aftermarket Cold CAI just have a better look then stock and sound way better then stock. Still, getting a K&N was your worst mistake. Get an AFE.

2. Mar 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Back to the question.

Improving flow is the key. Relieving flow restrictions and pressure loss is more important that a few degrees of temperature.
    Look at the stock intake in terms of flow. Compare it to the aftermarket unit.
    Any drawbacks to the aftermarket intake? Water concerns?

3. Mar 4, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    I noticed a noticable increase in throttle response with the trd intake on my NA truck, and a HUGE increase in power and response on my truck with the supercharger installed. I have the first gen trd intake which is a relabled afe intake FWIW...

4. Mar 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Ya know hearing this Stock is a CAI i keep thinking... BS my Ultra-gauge intake temp always reads.. at least 15 degrees hotter then the temp outside... I always thought cold air ran at the temperature outside the vehicle? Maybe im wrong??

5. Mar 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    I KNOW YOU!!! It's me, your favorite pilot. Welcome to TacomaWorld! I have the original TRD CAI (made by AFE) in my truck. Me likey. Yes, not much noticeable difference in power, but it puts out a nice growl when you stomp it, and throttle response is a little snappier. I would stay away from the K&N due to the fact that it simply pulls air from the hot engine compartment - even the stock intake pulls cool air from outside of the engine bay through the fender. I'll be happy to help you install whatever you settle on. Heck, we'll have an all-you-can-eat Taco day and install my new coil-overs, upper control arms, and rear shocks, then we'll do your intake!

We'll ride when my ankle is more-better (still another few weeks).

Keep in touch . . . "Ops and position checks every 15 minutes. Primary 112, alternate 21." Ha, ha!

Products Discussed in

To Top