1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The constant meowing is driving me nuts...

Discussion in 'Pets' started by anthonynoriega, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    anthonynoriega

anthonynoriega [OP] I just wanna disappear and find nothing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 QS DCLB
    OV Tune 2.0, UpTop Rack, RTT, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, LED Grille Lights, Custom decals and pretty stickers.
    Ok, so I posted about our cat being crazy at night.... She has chilled out since then, but now its just constant whining and meowing ALL THE TIME...

From the moment we let her out of her room, its some good morning meows... then its right to the sliding back door... meowing... then around the house, meowing... then upstairs to wake the kids up meowing... it honestly doesn't feel like it ever stops.

We let her out and she's frickn meowing at the sky...

She doesnt seem to be in pain, eats regularly, always has water.....

I dont know what to do...anyone have to deal with this before and know of any solutions, or even minimal reduction techniques?

2. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Is she spayed?

3. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:35 AM
    Juisebocks

Juisebocks Commander of the Inglorious Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 2.7L AT OPAF,DTF&PITA
    "Stock+"
    Even if she is spayed (which you should 100% do), they can sometimes exhibit "in heat" symptoms. It's sounds like she's not spayed and that's bad news for you and everybody else, including the local wildlife population.

4. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:35 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
    Sounds like she is in heat.

5. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:36 AM
    anthonynoriega

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 QS DCLB
    OV Tune 2.0, UpTop Rack, RTT, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, LED Grille Lights, Custom decals and pretty stickers.
    Oh no, she's spayed. We got her from a certified adoption clinic in Pocatello Idaho.

6. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    Juisebocks

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    "Stock+"
    How old is she? Does your vet agree that she's been spayed? I know from experience that even "certified" shelters will say almost anything to get animals out the door.

7. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:39 AM
    anthonynoriega

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 QS DCLB
    She is spayed. We took her in for some snotty nose in November and they verified.
    She is like 9 months old?

8. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    GlitterGulch

GlitterGulch Freedom Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Marcos
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB / 93 Pickup race truck (sold)
    Beef Supreme
    You lock her in a room?...dont do that

9. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    Juisebocks

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    "Stock+"
    It's possible that there is some remnant ovarian tissue causing the release of hormones that put her into heat. It's not like she can get pregnant with this condition, but if she's meowing and presenting herself as though she were in heat, it would make sense given the timeline. Most cats go into heat around 6 months and if she were spayed around that time, that can also have an effect.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  10. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    anthonynoriega

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 QS DCLB
    For bed time we do.
    Or else she whines at our door and claws at it...etc..
    Its the laundry room with her litter box, cat house, water and food.
    She's got it pretty good in there.

11. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    Juisebocks

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    "Stock+"
    To prevent the clawing at the door, you can tape up some contact paper with the sticky side out. She'll absolutely hate the sticky feeling. I'd say visit your vet if continues too long and you feel as though it's a medical issue and not just her being a brat and trying to find your limits. Some animals are like that.

12. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Trade it for a dog that you can train.

13. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    GlitterGulch

GlitterGulch Freedom Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Marcos
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB / 93 Pickup race truck (sold)
    Beef Supreme
    Id bet a dollar thats your problem. Cats are "free range" and social. They dont want to be locked away even if the room is plush. She wants to be with her human(s) any time she chooses. I dealt with this with my boy cat. My experience is cats hate closed doors and seperation and they will vocalize it

14. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    TRD-ED

TRD-ED Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenoir NC.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD PRO - 2023 Genesis GV70
    Stock FOX 275/65/18 At3w 18X9 Fuel Vapor's

She's lonely. Leave your door open. She just wants to be part of the family.
    Ask me how I know.

upload_2021-4-5_12-51-47.jpg

15. Apr 5, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Whenever we go on a weekend trip ours have gotten into the habit of shredding the carpet. Not that I ever liked the carpet, but still, its the principle. I guess its time to complete that hardwood install. :mad: I'll trade you for the meower.

[​IMG]

16. Apr 24, 2021 at 3:27 AM
    Inbred

Inbred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phinnius
    Vehicle:
    2nd generation euphoria
    Behavior like this (incessant meowing) is difficult to explain. About as difficult as figuring out what motivates autistic kids to do the day in/ day out- things they do. Luckily with cats, this behavior usually comes in stages throughout their lives with periods of meowing and long periods of more quiet normal behavior. One thing to make sure is that the cat is not losing her sense of hearing or vision. You can do this with close observation of its reaction to noise and visual stimuli. It’s probably not, but I’ve seen this lead to excessive vocalization. Cats like to feel in control and it’s when they become aware that something is out of their control that they vocalize like this. I feel for you. It’s a tough one and can erode the quality of life of their owner. If this is an indoor cat, you have to play with it everyday. To a cat, ten minutes of play makes it feel you focused on it for six hours. If everyone in the fam gave it ten minutes of one on one attention, it might be just what’s needed to get it back in quiet mode. To not be focused on could be the thing that is gnawing at her. People usually do dedicated play/ attention only when it’s a tiny kitten. Keep trying to figure out, like you’re a cat whisperer. Here’s my martini partner and one who’s meowing has always been a challenge to endure. FE15CF6C-CD18-4371-A98B-B68E15F3142E.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  17. Apr 24, 2021 at 3:33 AM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    Good thing She don’t Bark. :lalala:

18. Jan 21, 2023 at 12:06 PM
    rocknbil

rocknbil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco Ext Cab DLX TRD 4WD MT 3.4L
    I know this post is old but we have the same thing with this cat

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/lets-see-your-cats.449008/page-1050#post-28300852

She is 22 years old and still acts like a kitten, complete house cat except for when she sneaks out to chew grass, and even then the only thing she runs for is back inside (the dog helps us out with that.) With her it's not just meowing, it's this loud mournful sounding howl, you'd think she was dying but there is literally nothing wrong with her. Her peak times, of course? Right after we go to bed.

Two things in our case, cats are nocturnal and she absolutely hates it when we go to bed. The other is she's just plain bored and wants attention. Usually we let her howl it out for 10 minutes and she comes up and crashes at the foot of the bed.

They say cats can't be trained, from all the cats I've had over the years this is absolutely false. Training is nothing more than conditioning. When she starts caterwauling (pun intended) a loud clap and she'll stop. This is because if the clap doesn't work, she knows there is a spay bottle nearby, we have them all over the house.

Spraying them a squirt doesn't hurt them and doesn't stress them out, it conditions them to not do stuff. For the last few years all we've had to do is pick it up and point it at her and she's like "okay okay, I'm done!"

Giving them the right positive reinforcements helps cut the boredom. She only scratches at her scratching post/jungle gym, none of our furniture or speakers show the normal cat owner signs. Plenty of toys and at least 3 minutes of play a few times a day, plenty of lap time. You know how kids always play with the boxes on Christmas morning? With this cat it's empty toilet paper rolls, she absolutely loves chasing them and kicking them senseless like a captured prey (and has never shredded a full roll of TP LOL.)

I think people who don't like cats just don't understand them. I don't either, but I know what works.

cleo-window.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top