1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Drifter - Specs and FAQ

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Iggy, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 11, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    cobes

cobes habitual line-stepper

Member:
    First Name:
    cobes
    slc
    Vehicle:
    2000 XtraCab TRD 3.4l Auto
    Does anyone have a picture of how the camper lays on the debrails of a 1st gen and those clamps as well? I'm curious about what sort of spacing I'll have to build

2. Mar 11, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    Spacing? You don't have to modify anything for the Drifter to fit on a 1st/2nd/3rd gen other than the 3rd gen has a different tailgate seal on the rear window than the 1st/2nd gens. And maybe a thicker bulb seal at the front of the bed.

Click through to see more photos of Drifter #11 on my 2003 DCSB. It's now on a 2015 (2nd gen). Originally on a 2013 DCSB.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3zx2oQloXa/

parttimedirtbag and Trdooper like this.
  3. Mar 11, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    cobes

cobes habitual line-stepper

Member:
    First Name:
    cobes
    slc
    Vehicle:
    2000 XtraCab TRD 3.4l Auto
    Sweet, thats exactly what I want to see. Thanks
    I basically just mean for space for building on the bed, like how close to the side of the bed can I build something vertical. And there are 4 clamps per side?

Also another question. I haven't seen a Drifter with a fan so I cant tell where the fan is in relation to the bed. When the camper is closed, when the bed is in its place, is the fan obstructed or could it still be used to vent to closed camper?

4. Mar 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM
    Pushingthepedals

Pushingthepedals Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab 4x4 5 speed
    Has ANYBODY heard from Vagabond lately? Calls and emails go unanswered, instagram messages, etc. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy my camper when it's ready, but I'm sure as hell never going to recommend them to anybody if they ask me about it! I've just been trying to get confirmation of my build spec and when I need to pay the invoice balance and an updated ETA so I can start planning my trip to pick it up, last time I talked to them the build was supposed to be ready in January, then I was told there is a window shortage, and now nobody is responding.

5. Mar 11, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    I am not sure how many clamps they use for a factory installed 1st gen long bed, but it's at least 6. I think it may be 8. They spec the larger clamps shown in my post (GCI G-1) are what Vagabond uses, because the smaller profile G-30 need modification to work with the depth of the lip without smashing it. I would not recommend fully covering the clamps with your build-out as you want to routinely check that they are tight (but not over-torqued).

Yes*
    Basically you leave the bed in the set-up for sleeping position and just close the Drifter. Then from the inside, you would need to tuck/manage the tent material to unblock the fan. It will dangle down into the truck bed/cargo area unless you support it in some way. The best thing I thought of when I was considering adding a fan was some type of bungee netting/hammock to string across to not have the tent dangling down into the truck bed area/cargo space.

6. Mar 11, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    I know y'all are busy, @tyfoon11 but ... can you chime in with anything?

7. Mar 11, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    splashflash

splashflash Vagabonding

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Timnath, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB 4x4 M/T Off-Road
    No offense to you or the VO team, but I would wait to hear until Phil gives you a confirmation date before making any plans on picking up. I had the same mindset and wanted to be ready but planning on a set date or month is only going to leave you heartbroken. I just waited for confirmation and two weeks later, off I went!

8. Mar 11, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    Pushingthepedals

Pushingthepedals Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't have any problem if somebody would actually respond with some form of communication whatsoever, or at least let me know where I stand in the queue. There is literally no excuse for a company that is selling $10k+ products to just not respond to questions from customers who have put down 50% deposits.

9. Mar 11, 2021 at 1:10 PM
    Swatdude1

Swatdude1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4 Limited
    Totally agree! My brother fell for the Ford marketing and bought a brand new one. Had it for about 6 months and went back to a new Tacoma.

tyfoon11[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 11, 2021 at 1:14 PM
    Swatdude1

Swatdude1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4 Limited
    Anyone on here actually bolted the camper directly to the bed rails? Those clamps are definitely going to interfere with by buildout and my Tundra will be a dedicated overlanding vehicle so I never plan on removing the camper.

11. Mar 11, 2021 at 1:18 PM
    Trdooper

Trdooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Oakley Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB
    Preach

12. Mar 11, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    There is no reason you can’t do that. My 1st gen Tacoma with the full metal bed had an ARE DCU (commercial shell) with a similar (but thinner) aluminum flat stock as the bottom of the shell that went on top of the bed sides. It was drilled through and bolted directly to the bed.

Just make sure you align the Nomad well before you drill as you want round holes, not ovalized ones. Also, get some good fender washers to distribute the load onto the Nomad. I would probably do at minimum 4 bolts per side spread out along the length with spacing away from the corners.

I wouldn’t do this with a 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma with how the composite bed tub and sheet metal bed sides interface. If anything gets loose, you may not be able to access the underneath to tighten things up.

13. Mar 11, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    805REC

805REC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristen
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    Black 2017 TRDOR
    2.5 Kings with RR all around, Total Chaos UCAs, spindle/camtab gussets, Allpro Expo pack with ubolt flip and timbren bumps, SSO slimline bumper with X20 winch, Snugtop camper with prinsu cabrack and toprack, all sitting on 35" Duratracs and Raceline Matte bronze wheels. Numerous interior mods as well.
    I got an email from Phil yesterday cause i have the same concern with mine to the point I’ll probably get a different camper cause timing is actually crucial to me and i can’t afford to wait like others can. I was hoping they could stick to their “promised” lead times. That being said he mentioned that they are poised to ramp up production soon due to outsourcing to another company for laser cutting and forming. But thats all i got from him. I know it aint much info

14. Mar 12, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    piotr1aj

piotr1aj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 OR QS/DCSB/MT

I can add a little more info based on where my build is at. I’m VO-163. I reached out earlier this week for the first time since the reservation switch (September), and Phil replied next day. He said my build is slated for next months batch and that he’ll contact me again once they have the parts in.

Yea communication from the guys isn’t ideal at the moment, but considering their size and the environment we’re in still I don’t blame them for prioritizing manufacturing over customer service correspondence (I would do the same thing if I were them tbh). I’m sure they will address this once material/supplier issues are resolved.

Now no one else bother them so they can focus haha. Trust they will contact you when the time is ready.

15. Mar 12, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    Pushingthepedals

Pushingthepedals Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    They got in touch with me last night, my camper is due in April, feeling better now.

16. Mar 12, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    MountainRecipe

MountainRecipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Do you know what build number you are by chance?
    I was originally slated for May, and that was still the case when I spoke with them in October but It's looking like much later than that. Waiting is fine by me, just a little bummed I won't have it for this summer. Back to the tent for now!

In terms of specs:
    I am debating windoors on both sides vs slider on onside and windoor on the other...anyone with a drifter already have input on their experience with these options? Wish you went one way or another? I will be going with the slider on the front window too.

17. Mar 12, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    SliMbo4.0

SliMbo4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DCSB TRD offroad
    BP51, BAMF hangers, BruteForce HC, SCS, Vagabond Drifter
    I like having my windoors. Large opening and easy to access items inside. I only wish I had a long bed to have more wall space inside.

18. Mar 12, 2021 at 11:51 AM
    joeydurango

joeydurango Nightfall Overland

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Heavily modified 2015 TRD w/Drifter
    FrontRunner windoors all the way! I love 'em. Such easy access, and if you hang out in the truck bed on a sunny day you can open the windoors and the hatch for a whole lotta view.

19. Mar 12, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    d.shaw

d.shaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD-OR
    Vagabond Drifter, King 2.5 coilovers, King 2.5 rear, Pelfreybilt front / rear bumpers and skids, rock sliders, Safari snorkel, Smitybilt winch, Baja designs 20in, wide cornering spots, S2 rear. Deaver expedition series stage 3 rear leaf.
    i have the frontrunner gullwing aluminium window - and as much as i brought mine second hand i had a list of things i wanted (to custom build one) these were def on it. like others have said - super handy to grab stuff from the back - and great to create a breeze on hot nights, etc

IMG_4997.jpg

20. Mar 12, 2021 at 6:33 PM
    MountainRecipe

MountainRecipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    I was originally thinking just the normal windoors but these posts are convincing...I thought I talked myself out of the Frontrunners. Lots of options to waffle over until the thing gets built. The ones I will spend the next few months waffling over are:

Powdercoat - live in wet environment so good protection there, looks awesome, expensive, will get scratched up with the trees and brush in Washington
    Windows - Slider has good ventilation and keeps the buggo's out, can put L track on that side, Windoors have great access to the bed, Frontrunners are great but $$$$
    Awnings - 270 is easy to set up, $$$$. If it is a pain to set up, I won't use it, so a 4' and 8' may not get a ton of use if they aren't quick and easy. Alternatively, a 4' rear would be handy in ski area parking lots and trailheads, which I am at pretty much every weekend. I may not use the 270 if I never have space to set it up. Not sure if a mount for a 180 would be adequate for a 270 if I changed my mind later.

There is a a lot of good info in these threads that will encourage my waffling until I hear from VO.

tyfoon11 and d.shaw[QUOTED] like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top