1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Go-Fast Campers Backcountry Access Build - With Opinions

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by wileydavis, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017 at 7:36 AM
    wileydavis

wileydavis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    So we're building these rad off-road campers (GFC Platform) and we decided to build a new truck to put them on.

The goal with the campers is to provide comfortable and easy living arrangements for folks who surf, climb, fish, hunt, ski, mountain bike, dirt bike, etc. Basically a comfortable place to crash when you're hundreds of miles in the backcountry doing your thing. So the accompanying truck should be built with the same goal in mind. When you're driving for two days off-road to reach some secluded Baja surf break, you don't want to be poking along at an excruciatingly turtle-like overlanding pace. But you also don't want to be stuck for days at some bone-dry ejido because your bitchin' LT kit wasn't as sorted as you thought. So the overarching build rule will be to maximize driving fun while keeping things relatively simple.

There will be a lot of opinions in this thread. Strong ones. But our rule on opinions around here is that they’re like drowning people: You want to hang on to them as strongly as you can, but let go of them before they pull you under. So if we end up changing our minds it’s encouraged to interpret that as an indication of good character :)

And there are no pictures in this first post so that we could post this:

:worthless:

But stay tuned.

2. Dec 7, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Okay, so a starting point. The truck is a brand new 2017 SR5 Tacoma with the V6 and auto transmission. We picked it up from the dealership on Tuesday and took it out for a spin. We stopped at our favorite milkshake place and snapped this photo in the parking lot to show you what a stock Tacoma looks like:

before-pic.jpg

3. Dec 7, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    This is gonna be good.

Gunshot-6A, ChadsPride and gmacmt like this.
  4. Dec 7, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Obligatory Hondo Garage dash products install. A perfect Squeeze phone mount, Big Squeeze tablet mount, Two Un-Holey Dash Mounts, some cord clips, and some basic radio knobs. Shipping was super fast... under 30 seconds since I made them and there's a big bin of them upstairs.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 22.44.32.jpg

Getting the ipad mount dialed. I usually run an ipad mini but we only had a full-sized ipad laying around the shop today. Big Squeeze holds a big ipad just fine. I'm tall so this position puts the ipad low enough it doesn't stick up above my sightline to the edge of the hood. Shorter folks will want to adjust it a bit lower.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 23.37.11 copy.jpg

Closeup of the two mounts installed as well as the best mod of all, the radio knobs. Knobs are great but this truck seems to have a weird bug that the radio in the SR doesn't have in that if you adjust the volume while the music is paused, it will start playing again. Not sure what's going on with that but it is super annoying.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 00.15.52 copy.jpg

All the bits installed. Got your maps, got your phone. Got the clinometer app in an homage to the old-school toyota clinometer. Someone should make an app that replicates the look of those old gauges. I actually don't use the clinometer while driving (it is very useful around the fab shop though) but I'd run a 4x4-themed tilt app just because it would amuse me a lot.
    _DSC8872.jpg

Got some Gucci gang queued up and ready to hit the trails.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 00.22.12 copy.jpg

Alright, now that that's out of the way we can move on to the interesting bits...suspension. Stay tuned:
    IMG_1632.jpg

5. Dec 7, 2017 at 4:54 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Alright, a quick rundown of the planned suspension mods. Sounds like the parts will be in tomorrow and we'll be doing the install on Monday.

I have a generalized philosophy on modifying off-road oriented suspensions that goes like this:

Maximize wheel travel, maximize tire diameter, minimize vehicle height
    Since a lot of times these three objectives counteract one another, they are listed in order of importance. That is, don't maximize tire size if you have to minimize wheel travel. Basically it just means don't make the vehicle any higher than you have to to maximize tire size while maintaining all the wheel travel. Never drop bump stops down or run a tire so big that it limits compression travel. The other rule of thumb is that ride height should be set so that 1/3 to half of the total travel is compression, and 2/3 to half is droop travel. In the case of the limited Tacoma travel, I think I'd prefer a 50/50 just to get a little more compression travel.

So with those basic ideas, the plan as of this moment is:

• Shocks: OME BP-51s
    • Leaf Springs: Deaver U402 Stage 1 (plan to run 300 lbs in the back, which includes the GFC camper)
    • 255/75 R17 Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003
    • A bit of trimming to get it all to fit

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
  7. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    upTOPOverland_Drew

upTOPOverland_Drew upTOP Overland Technical Design and Application

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB SUPER WHITE
    All the things...click the link in sig
  8. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:32 PM
    tarandus

tarandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD DCab OR Supah White
    ProComp/Headstrong leveling kit, AllPro rock sliders.
    Uh, ur my neighbor. Can I visit yer shop? I'll sweep, clean the toilets, whatever. This is fantastic shika.

9. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    I’ve already got phase one of all the Hondo dash products installed and I’ve been pondering suspension upgrades to complete before spring when my GFC is ready.

5D5F7488-54AD-4160-AD5E-12610A0D7828.jpg

YOTA 4X4, ChadsPride, gmacmt and 3 others like this.
  10. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco IG: Swannybruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Icon 2.5s / 2.0's / //Dakar HD Pack//CBI T3 Front/ ATH HC Rear//SPC UCAs/ Camburg LCAs// MR312s w/ 34in Yoko GeoLndrs
    Sub'd...

ChadsPride likes this.
  11. Dec 7, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    You're welcome to come by the shop. We've got quite a collection of folks out here now that Bomber Products moved in just across the parking lot. Between Hondo Garage, GFC, Aerocontinental, and Bomber, there should be lots of people to talk off-road stuff with :)

Willbeck, ChadsPride and BloodyTaco like this.
  12. Dec 7, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    tarandus

tarandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD DCab OR Supah White
    ProComp/Headstrong leveling kit, AllPro rock sliders.
    Cool! I'll stop by. Really cool and creative stuff you're doing. Viva la Taco!

ChadsPride, gmacmt and 08brickfjc like this.
  13. Dec 11, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Getting some new legs.
    FD5CFDB0-9A44-4B01-8596-C36673BA8C2E.jpg

14. Dec 11, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Reformed Taco driver in a GX460
    I love my BP51's.

ChadsPride likes this.
  15. Dec 11, 2017 at 10:25 AM
    Korndog1284

Korndog1284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J03l
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2016 Off Road DCLB MGM
    All-Pro Raack Pack, Tepui Tent and Awning, ARB BP-51, K02 275/65/17, 4Runner Pro Wheels
    I love Love LOVE my BP-51's!

ChadsPride likes this.
  16. Dec 12, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    circle-k.jpg

Yesterday we installed the Old Man Emu BP-51s and some Deaver U402 Stage I leaf springs on the new Taco. I can't yet tell you how well this combo performs, more on that in a bit, but I can tell you what I found intriguing about them:

• They are an internal bypass shock, meaning the valving is both velocity AND position dependent
    • The offer both compression AND rebound damping adjustability (without revalving the shock)
    • They're kind of obscure, so hey, why not try something new?
    I went the the Deaver U402s because the Dakar packs are just too stiff in my opinion. The Deaver J66 is too soft for the GFC camper, but the U402s are available in at least three load ratings. After talking with Scott at Deaver, he recommended the stage I U402 for our estimated 300 pound load. The issue with the Tacoma leaf spring mounting geometry is that it doesn't give you much bump travel before the top of the leaf pack hits the frame. So in order to get some more up travel, you have no choice but to lift the truck a bit. Not ideal but the only real solution would be to convert it to a spring under and longer shackles to get more arch, more travel, AND a lower ride height. Alas, the goal with this build was to keep it relatively simple, so going spring under is off the table (for now). The Stage I U402s should give about 1-1.5" of lift with 300 lbs in the back.

Read the instructions! So even though I have no plans at all to install a giant bumper, winch, etc, we installed the BP-51s with the 20mm preload setting they came with, knowing full well it would be way too much. But hey, why not see what it gets you.

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 22.24.02 copy.jpg

And then the Deavers. They don't come with instructions but if you're confused, the side with the double eyelet wrap bolts to the non-shackle mounting point. That way if you break the main leaf, the rigid mount is the side trying to keep the axle attached.:

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 23.10.07 copy.jpg

Adjustable rebound and compression. Nice. The included spanner is for adjusting the damping, not the ride height. In fact, the single most annoying thing about these coilovers is that you can't adjust ride height on the vehicle like you can with Kings or Foxes. Why? My guess is it's because the threaded body of the BP-51 is aluminum, vs the DOM steel tubes that King and Fox use (maybe icon as well... not sure.) The aluminum threads (even though they appear to be hard anodized) are much more easily damaged than steel threads, so that's my guess as to why they insist you compress the spring before adjusting.

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 23.21.11 copy.jpg

And in fact, that's why I can't yet tell you how well the BP-51s perform. because we ran out of time and still have them set up at 20mm preload which gives a whopping 3.5" of lift at the front end without additional weight. WAY friggin too much. For one thing, since we're not running an aftermarket upper control arm, the thing can't be aligned properly at that height. Camber and tow are fine, but caster isn't. But the big problem with running that much lift is that it gives you almost no droop travel. On this truck we only have 1" of droop from ride height. One measly little inch. Why is that a problem? Because every time you hit a bump that's not up (sunken manhole covers, washboard, potholes, small whoop sections) the shock tops out, which means now your wheel is in the air where it's not doing anything to help your traction when it should be falling down into the hole to maintain contact with the ground. As a result the truck feels skatey and harsher than it would if it were set up properly. We'll try dialing it down to 10mm of preload next to give a real evaluation of the shock performance. The manual that comes with the BP-51s does have one line that says in order to get the best performance, set them up with at least 2.5" of droop travel. They're right.

The leaf spring choice does seem about right. With no load they gave 2.25' of lift over stock. With 300 pounds we ended up with 1.25' over stock. That gives us that much more bump travel without going all sky high, and the new springs droop out a little more as well. My eyeball says about 2.5" more droop than the stock leafs.

And in the spirit of the crazy 3.5" of lift, we went for a quick mall crawl:

mallcrawl.jpg

17. Dec 13, 2017 at 3:41 AM
    BloodyTaco

BloodyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDOR DCSB
    Subbed! :popcorn:

ChadsPride likes this.
  18. Dec 13, 2017 at 3:48 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
  19. Dec 14, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    Papa Taco

Papa Taco HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4 6 Speed
    Follow the yellow brick road
  20. Dec 14, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    Papa Taco

Papa Taco HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4 6 Speed
    Follow the yellow brick road
    so I checked out the website and its awesome... quick question, if I reserve mine now for the price online is that for the whole system? pop up camper and all? or is it for just the platform supporting the pop up?

Products Discussed in

To Top