1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Great Debate...

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Canadian Taco 705, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    Canadian Taco 705

Canadian Taco 705 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black 2.7L 2WD Debadged
    Interior: Hardwire GPS Hardwire USB x2 Extra Cig Lighter Mag Light Mod x2 Exterior: Debadged TRD hood Bull Bar Halo Headlights 6000K Lumens HID 50% Windshield Tint 5% Window Tint
    This is the hard part of life.

A newly graduated student certified in sustainable building design and construction and 3 years of a 4 year degree in sustainability and community design, a little bit of student loan to pay off and a 2010 tacoma with a few mods on it.

Black Box Mod and a few other minimal things.

But this is the debacle I live in Northern Ontario and my 2wd well isn't that good in the winter obviously so I am in the market for some winter tires and i just want to get up and above the snow a little bit.

Now thinking like a responsible adult i am currently in the debate of weather or not to do the typical winter tires (235/75/15) or spending the money on an AAL and spacer kit to get some bigger tires in those wells.

I am really in a difficult spot got some money coming into the bank and just trying to figure out exactly what i should do. ill have around 1200 bucks id like to keep the stock rims for now so i can wreck those over the winter and than get some nicer ones next summer when the $$ starts to roll in.

help guys

2. Sep 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    grovestreet

grovestreet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get the winter tires because you need them.

3. Sep 25, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    jtye

jtye Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    DC
    Vehicle:
    08 Super White 5 lug
    Fog lights, fatbob's 5lug lift, Cragar 15x7, 31x10.5 Gen.Grabbers, Wet Okole
    I went with 235/75 and really like the tires, but I can't tell you how bad I wish I'd went with a 30x9.5 tire on the stock rims originally and the Fat Bob's lift right about now. Instead I'm kind of "stuck" with the 235's until they wear out because a lift with the 235's would make them look tiny. Having said that, I really dont notice a power loss with the 235's and regularly get 25mpg, so it depends on what you want.

Ultimately, when I got the truck I got the tires without a lift in mind. Now that I want the lift, I wish I planned better. If you're already toying with a lift, I suggest you think about about costs down the road and make your purchase based on those. I would get 30x9.5 on the stock rim to start, save for the lift, get the lift when you've got the money (truck wont look so bad with 30's and the lift), save some money, then upgrade wheels and tire size if you're still not satisfied.

4. Oct 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    MattMc

MattMc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Wawa/ Haliburton Ontario
    Vehicle:
    5 lugger
    Just got it!
    I think you should go with the winter tires. I have driven an old 4wd Landcruiser around Haliburton for the past 5 winters. I know its a different truck but in 2wd I have found it is much better in the snow with the 31x10.5 winter tires on it than the 255/85/16 (34x9.5) mud terrains I have on it. Even in the deep snow.

I will be driving pretty much the same truck as you this winter and I am going to go with 215/70 winters and maybe a set of chains just for insurance as some of the hills on Kennisis lake drive are pretty steep!

What about a set of bigger winters?

Sounds like an awesome program you have done! Congratulations!

Sweet truck I just picked mine up and I am loving it!

Matt.

Products Discussed in

To Top