1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The "Invoice"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by FFBlack, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Feb 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM
    FFBlack

FFBlack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD
    So I hear a lot of guys say they paid $500 over invoice. So how do you get the invoice? The dealers I go to wont even let you leave with the numbers there writing down while your trying to negotiate. So do I just walk in a say let me see the invoice on that 1 over there and I'll add $5OO? Any tips from you pros out there would be appreciated. TIA

2. Feb 28, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Invoice is number that is fabricated by the auto manufactures to make you feel like you got a good deal. The idea is that you are supposed to believe that the invoice number is the price the dealers themselves paid for the car but the reality is that there is a lot more that goes on with the dealerships than you know. They get volume based incentives, co-op dollars they can apply towards new or sometimes even old stock as well as other operational costs like advertising... there are sales based incentives the manufacturers give and dozens of other ways the dealers maximize profits. In truth it's more or less impossible to really know what a dealer paid for a given vehicle. You can find out invoice pricing from TrueCar, but to be honest the dealers will usually be more than happy to tell you what it is because it's a sales tool for their benefit. For the most part it should be fairly easy to purchase a vehicle for $500 over invoice. If the vehicle happens to be on the lot already, you should try to haggle for buying precisely at invoice and be happy if you end up within $200 over invoice. Don't for one second believe them when they tell you that at invoice they are making zero dollars. That's just not true.

3. Mar 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    Research what holdback means. Carbuyingtips.com is a really good resource of terminology. I read it about 15 years ago and the info still seems good ..
    But they certainly populated the site with ads Just be mindful that a lot of their links are possibly sponsored.

4. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    When I got my Subaru the dealer physically showed me the copy of the invoice, then said he could take $700 off of it, then stated that he would make his profit on a factory-to-dealer incentive. I didn't argue since it was by far the best price we'd come across after a month of looking.

Products Discussed in

To Top